• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the first sin ever committed ?

Tamino

By one of our stories, it was when the sun god grew old and the humans planned rebellion.

So the first sin would be: planning to attack a god and rebelling against righteous authority.

From a modern point of view, I don't agree - I think this story is probably a parable told to support a hierarchical system.
I personally think that the first sin was: to cause suffering to another, on purpose, and without need.
By that definition, by the way, there's a lot of animal species that can commit sin. Humans are not the only being that can comprehend ethics.

Heyo

Veteran Member
There seems to be a lot of varying answers on this so I was curious what people here think it would be.
According to the Judeo-Christian-Muslim book, the first sin was disobedience, and that runs like a red thread through all the following books. All monotheistic religions are deeply authoritarian. That makes them so useful for the leaders.

rocala

Eating the forbidden fruit in Eden!
Yes, I was going to say that. But I then thought that before eating the fruit, the idea entered a mind, was not dismissed as wrong and a decision to act was made. Surely this was the first sin, not the action that resulted from it.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The first sin was Satan's (disguised as the serpent) lie to Eve about death and wisdom.

1Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”​
2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”​
4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”​

Genesis 3:1-5

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
There seems to be a lot of varying answers on this so I was curious what people here think it would be.
[The] Original human sin was Envy - of God.
Adam and Eve were happy until they were told that they were lacking (“naked”): they were reminded that God possessed “power” that they did not and were led to believe that if they ate from the tree of knowledge, they’d acquire God’s perspective and wisdom.

They ate from the tree of knowledge, not to better understand their circumstances (their circumstances were good), but to possess more and to be “equal” to God (greed and envy).

Humbly,
Hermit

rocala

They ate from the tree of knowledge, not to better understand their circumstances (their circumstances were good), but to possess more and to be “equal” to God (greed and envy).

I have always been interested in this story and have often thought that it could be over simplified.
You may tell monkeys and birds not to eat from your tree but as soon as you turn your back they will come and eat. That is nature. Adam and Eve were different, they had human attributes as well as animal needs.

They could have asked why and attempted to persuade or even plead. They could have debated the logic of the rule or offered some kind of deal. No, despite the qualities given to them by God, they behaved no differently to the other animals.

That seems like some sort of sin to me.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
True, but I took the OP's religion under consideration when responding.
:oops:

There are two references to "the OP's religion":​
  1. the reference to sin, which today has lost much if not all of it's religious connotation, and
  2. the reference to Gen 3:1-5, which is Hebrew scripture reinterpreted by nascent Christianity.
:)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Weird story I heard,

The original sin was sex. Eve first had sex with the serpent and liked it. She then convinced Adam to have sex. That's why when God showed up they both hid their bodies because of their shame of having sex.

Also, Cain the first born was born of the serpent. Son of the devil. So when Jesus said to the Jews who would have him killed he is referring to Cain
"He was a murderer from the beginning" as their father.

PureX

Veteran Member
It was the sin of hubris. The sin of mankind thinking we are or are supposed to be God's equals. And that as such the whole world should be serving our ideals and desires, exclusively.

As a result of this sin of hubris (that we are still committing) is that we now toil and labor our lives away, clawing and fighting to force the world to obey our desires.