• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the first sin ever committed ?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Please elaborate.
If we take Jesus's definition of sin from his condensing all the laws to 2, we have Love God with all your being, and Love your neighbor. Break that down to: obey God and harm no other.

Ingratitude - in the Garden story manifests in that A & E didn't appreciate all God gave them and wanted what they were told not to touch. And E harmed A by sharing this idea.

Now in the more historical setting of early humanoids, someone decided there must be more somewhere else, so they began to travel and discover. But finding enough was never enough. . .and that grass is greener over there covered the globe.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well said, in my opinion. I agree with you, and I agree with Richard Dawkins when he stated, "The god of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." Do you agree or disagree with Dawkins?
Basically yes, though why he takes that namby-pamby approach is beyond me.

Bear Wild

The first sin was Satan's (disguised as the serpent) lie to Eve about death and wisdom.

1Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”​
2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”​
4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”​

Genesis 3:1-5
Why blame it on the woman? This never made any sense to me. It is like an intentional degradation of women not present in my religion.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If we take Jesus's definition of sin from his condensing all the laws to 2, we have Love God with all your being, and Love your neighbor. Break that down to: obey God and harm no other.
Of course you don't have to love any god at all to treat other people with decency, respect, inclusion and common sense. And if you do that, what argument can God have with you?

Ingratitude - in the Garden story manifests in that A & E didn't appreciate all God gave them and wanted what they were told not to touch. And E harmed A by sharing this idea.
As I tirelessly point out, there's no such thing in the Genesis Garden story. In the story, God has withheld from Adam and Eve all knowledge of good and evil. Therefore at the time they ate the fruit they were each incapable of knowing they were doing anything wrong, therefore they were each incapable of sin. Note especially that the Garden story agrees, NEVER, not even once, mentions sin, or the fall of man, or death entering the world. The story makes it clear that death is part of the natural scene by having a Tree of Life, of immortality ─ entirely unnecessary if no one was going to die anyway.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What was the first sin ever committed ?​

1) Who dares to pretend to know what God thinks? You must have asked God to know for sure

2) Who dares to impose on God that God is judgmental? God judging God's creation, humans, to be sinners. What does that make God ... a sinner too, I guess?

Pretending to know God that well, knowing God's mind and thoughts, seems blasphemy to me.

Reading books (Bible or other Scriptures) is just what it is, bookish knowledge, definitely insufficient to answer questions like "how God thinks".

This pretentious claiming "I know God's mind" blows my mind

Google gave on sin:
1) An immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
2) "a sin in the eyes of God"
But to date no one has any coherent concept of a real God, let alone the opinions of such an entity. They're ALL generated by humans.

God never appears, never says, never does. That seems perfectly consistent with God existing only as a concept, notion, thing imagined in individual brains, no?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I believe the poster who said pride, committed by Lucifer as the first sin was correct.
Only if you believe God created evil. I believe everything God created was very good, but humankind's perception is too worldly and immature to see so correctly.... Thus comes the story of Lucifer as being evil, rather than merely temptation which we are meant to learn to overcome.

Tinkerpeach

Would not the first sin be by Lucifer when he rejected God?
I’m not sure rejection is what he was doing though. I believe he wanted to take over hence the war in Heaven. I may be wrong but didn’t he consider himself equal to God?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
God never appears, never says, never does.
Again not correct; better avoid claims you can't prove, and stick to what you know, and stay away from generalizations when it comes to God

You better phrase it differently:
"I have never experienced God"
That seems perfectly consistent with God existing only as a concept, notion, thing imagined in individual brains
If you have never experienced God (the notion of God, you have), you come to that conclusion, this I totally understand, as I try to get first hand experiences myself; I don't see the use in "blind belief (without actual personal first hand experiences)".

Others (might) have different experiences and even use different definitions of God, and then God might make perfect sense to them, hence it's best to stick to "in my experience ..."

I am just not interested in making God into a dogma, being able to put God in a box, labeling it as "done, case solved".

God concept is the opposite of that, in my experience and in my view. The God concept gives me the key to step out of the "feeling the need to know and be able to explain everything", and thinking "knowledge is all important". Let go of "boxing" everything

Following the "God" path makes me introspect
What more do I need? What is more rewarding than that? Know Thy Self!

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I’m not sure rejection is what he was doing though. I believe he wanted to take over hence the war in Heaven. I may be wrong but didn’t he consider himself equal to God?
There are countless different thoughts, theories, opinions, etc. concerning Lucifer.
Most of which is pure guess work by filling in the blanks left by the Bible.

So depending on which one(s) you adhere to...

Some say Lucifer wanted to be Gods equal, some say he wanted to rule heaven, some say it was not actually God Lucifer had the problem with but Jesus.

Tinkerpeach

There are countless different thoughts, theories, opinions, etc. concerning Lucifer.
Most of which is pure guess work by filling in the blanks left by the Bible.

So depending on which one(s) you adhere to...

Some say Lucifer wanted to be Gods equal, some say he wanted to rule heaven, some say it was not actually God Lucifer had the problem with but Jesus.
Well yeah there simply isn’t enough information to know for sure. I do think the first sin comes from him though and not humans although that brings up a new question of whether angelic beings are capable of sin or if that is only for humans.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Well yeah there simply isn’t enough information to know for sure. I do think the first sin comes from him though and not humans although that brings up a new question of whether angelic beings are capable of sin or if that is only for humans.
Seems it would depend upon when exactly he rebelled.
It seems likely that because his main objection was Jesus being sent to Earth as a human, that Lucifers rebellion was not until the New Testament.
Meaning that humans were around for a bit before the rebellion...
IF this is the case, then Lucifers rebellion would not have been the first sin.