• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the first sin ever committed ?

Heyo

Veteran Member
There are countless different thoughts, theories, opinions, etc. concerning Lucifer.
Most of which is pure guess work by filling in the blanks left by the Bible.

So depending on which one(s) you adhere to...

Some say Lucifer wanted to be Gods equal, some say he wanted to rule heaven, some say it was not actually God Lucifer had the problem with but Jesus.
And some have read the scripture. According to that, Lucifer had a problem with authority, he refused to serve. "Non serviam" is his sin, i.e. disobedience. Other realm, same story.

Heyo

Veteran Member
No one?
This is your assumption
Nope, not an assumption, but a conclusion.
Better to say "I don't know about God"

Generalizing here is not correct
It is. If there was a coherent concept, it would have spread.
What we can observe, is that people don't agree on a concept of god(s), not even those in the same religion or denomination. That makes it an objective evaluation.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Only if you believe God created evil. I believe everything God created was very good, but humankind's perception is too worldly and immature to see so correctly.... Thus comes the story of Lucifer as being evil, rather than merely temptation which we are meant to learn to overcome.

We are told by Jesus whom the serpent is.
Sure we are to overcome temptation but the one who brought the flood of temptations onto humanity is satan, the serpent. Adam and Eve were not ready to know about good and evil and be tempted by it on every side and neither are we.

Tinkerpeach

Seems it would depend upon when exactly he rebelled.
It seems likely that because his main objection was Jesus being sent to Earth as a human, that Lucifers rebellion was not until the New Testament.
Meaning that humans were around for a bit before the rebellion...
IF this is the case, then Lucifers rebellion would not have been the first sin.
I haven’t heard that Lucifer and Jesus had a beef I thought it was because God told Lucifer to kneel before man, His new creation or something to that effect.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I haven’t heard that Lucifer and Jesus had a beef I thought it was because God told Lucifer to kneel before man, His new creation or something to that effect.
Here is one source for the Lucifer/Jesus "beef"..

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Nope, not an assumption, but a conclusion.
You are free to believe that
not
If there was a coherent concept, it would have spread.
You seem to believe that internet is God or ...
What we can observe, is that people don't agree on a concept of god(s)
And that proves? Nada
even those in the same religion or denomination.
Yes, so what
That makes it an objective evaluation.
Not at all

Heyo

Veteran Member
You seem to believe that internet is God or ...
People have believed in gods for at least 5,000 years. And whenever they encountered someone else with a different god concept, they have killed each other. They had 5000 years without internet to settle their differences in a debate - but they didn't, because they couldn't.
And that proves? Nada
OK, so we do agree on the data, at least something. What is your hypothesis that explains the facts? That only your god concept is right and everybody else got it wrong? Why isn't your god concept convincing?

What is your god concept? I don't have any, so I'm an unbiased observer, I will only point out inconsistencies.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again not correct; better avoid claims you can't prove, and stick to what you know, and stay away from generalizations when it comes to God

You better phrase it differently:
"I have never experienced God"
"Experiencing God" is not the same thing as God appearing, or acting. All the purported incidences of people experiencing God are references to purely mental events of theirs. When I say 'appear' I mean appear in public, in front of the cameras, as a real entity instead of an idea or notion generated internally by someone's brain.

If you have never experienced God (the notion of God, you have), you come to that conclusion, this I totally understand, as I try to get first hand experiences myself; I don't see the use in "blind belief (without actual personal first hand experiences)".
It isn't as if at different times in the past I haven't tried with complete honesty and openness.

But I object to the idea that the experiencer has to invent the apparent agent of the experience and label it God. Why doesn't God appear to Buddhists, to Hindus, to atheists,? Why doesn't God have a weekly segment on national TV or at least make spot appearances on Colbert?

What more do I need? What is more rewarding than that? Know Thy Self!
I have no intention of making this any sort of personal attack on you. But this is a debate forum, where one can make one's point plainly and defend it if necessary.

I believe the poster who said pride, committed by Lucifer as the first sin was correct.
Ok, I think that is a good point. Although I think sin is to reject God, or to be without God. And I think that was also the sin of Lucifer, and pride was just one sign of that.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Seems it would depend upon when exactly he rebelled.
It seems likely that because his main objection was Jesus being sent to Earth as a human, that Lucifers rebellion was not until the New Testament.
Meaning that humans were around for a bit before the rebellion...
IF this is the case, then Lucifers rebellion would not have been the first sin.

I suppose it is hard to tell when the war broke out in heaven and when Satan and his angels were kicked out (Rev 12) However the serpent is punished for what he did in the garden and so would have done something against the will of God. But God is very patient and it can be seen in the Bible that He does not condemn completely initially, but allows people and I guess angels, to either repent or show their true colours before condemning them.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
We are told by Jesus whom the serpent is.
Sure we are to overcome temptation but the one who brought the flood of temptations onto humanity is satan, the serpent. Adam and Eve were not ready to know about good and evil and be tempted by it on every side and neither are we.
But Satan, like Jesus, can do nothing without the Father. See the book of Job.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The first sin? Painting the outside of the cave to match the interior - which was painted white so as to shed more light on things - but such just ruined the neighbourhood. :eek:

PearlSeeker

All we know about early (pre)history of man is only from archeological evidence. Everything else is myth. We don't have evidence of the first sin so we can only speculate what happened.

Oldest known sin is maybe this:

In a cave in northern Spain, archeological detectives discovered the remains of a 430,000-year-old skull bearing what appears to be lethal, deliberately inflicted blunt force trauma. If the scientists' interpretation of the wound is accurate, the skull represents the earliest known murder.