• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would convince you of God's existence?

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I wasn't implying that God is different from life, there is no duality. :) If you are not searching then you will find you are already home.

We may have different ideas of what is 'home', but it sounds better than most descriptions of God I have heard.

cottage

All these postings...and yet....the universe is moving.

Nothing moves without cause.

The singularity went 'bang' for nothing?

The phenomenon of cause and effect (causality) is a feature of our world and we don't even know what it is or how it works. All we are aware of is an apparent relation between two occurring things.

What we do know is that there doesn’t have to be any humans, there doesn’t have to be laws of gravity, laws of motion, the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics - or a law of causation. But if there is no law of cause and effect God immediately becomes impossible. Every scrap of contingent matter may be said to be absolutely dependent upon God, but God cannot be God without the concept of cause and effect, which is a feature of the contingent material world but not logically necessary! And if there is no such thing as causation (and there is no contradiction in saying there may not be) then God is not intelligible, since believers can only reason to a God by assuming the universe was caused. So the necessary truth ‘God is God’ is logically dependent upon a concept which is not itself logically necessary.

Onkara

We may have different ideas of what is 'home', but it sounds better than most descriptions of God I have heard.

Agreed, words by their very nature can lead to misunderstanding. Really words just point to objects and ideas and we spend time trying to communicate and agree on them. Anyway, it is said that the search is over when the doubts of not knowing has been removed.

I am personally still not convinced that knowing what it is really makes a lot of difference as it is almost impossible to describe (words again), what makes a difference is the inner peace it brings (bliss and unconditional love). That bliss already exists here and now as you correctly said, in this life, which is why it is just a question of calling off the search for something else.

1AOA1

God, yes. Because God created mankind. Creator and creation are always linked, so in order to hide that connecting link the hide and seek game is afoot. We are always searching for a way back home, back to our origin: God (or call it what you will).
:) Ok. It sounded something like saying the ocean hides from a man in the middle of the jungle.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One explanation is that God is playing a form of 'Hide and Seek'. God is here but hidden, She hides so that you go out in search for Her, or deny Her or say She doesn't exist. Because God is omnipresent, omnipresent and omnipotent the game serves just for Her entertainment. It makes for a good search if She seems to not exist. God also reveals Herself to conclude the game or for the game to take on a fresh angle, a new 'level'.
So god and my four year old niece have a lot in common.

Onkara

So god and my four year old niece have a lot in common.

Yep, sometimes they might annoy you but it doesn't mean you don't love them. ;)
Also it is us, adults, who complicate things, we should really just get on an explore and enjoy life.

tarasan

I'm short on time today, but I still want to start a new thread with these 2 questions:

What would you consider proof of God's existence?

Experience
Arguements from natural theology

Do you believe that your "proof" would convince the majority of rational thinking people?

Thanks!

that depends is there more than one rational view? I think that if they are open to thiesm then yes, but if not then no.

Proof? My reply is simply this: ‘for God to prove his existence to me’. No further explication is necessary on my part. What possible evidence might count as proof is not for me to say, since it is not for me to describe how God might go about convincing me he exists. Evidence of x is by no means the necessary equal of proof, but where we have proof of x we have the required evidence for x. My argumenttakes this form:God doesn’t have to exist, but may exist. If God exists he may be omnipotent. If God exists and is omnipotent then at no time is he not omnipotent for then he would not be God. If God exists and is omnipotent he must be able to prove his existence, for otherwise he would not be omnipotent and he could not be God. Therefore an omnipotent God must be able to prove his existence. It doesn’t follow from the above that God must prove his existence, only that he must have that ability, for to say otherwise would contradict his omnipotence.

It may of course be the case that God, for reasons of his own, doesn’t choose to prove his existence to me. Nevertheless, having assented to unconditionally accept proof, it is now for God to show me unequivocally that he exists. But even if the proof is entirely sufficient for me to belief in God, it doesn’t follow from my belief that ‘God exists’ is true.

Yes, it must be the case the God could communicate its existence if it chose to do so; I agree.

I'll say here, that many people claim to have had a God "experience"; most while living, others during an NDE. Incidentally, I ask, are you convinced by their testimonies of God's existence? I doubt it; neither would I be.

It seems then, what you are saying is, that God is capable of proving its existence, but then you end with, "But even if the proof is entirely sufficient for me to belief in God, it doesn’t follow from my belief that ‘God exists’ is true."

Interesting, because you are declaring your own ability to "doubt" greater than God's ability to "convince." This seems to contradict the expressed conviction that God CAN convey its existence. You did say God "...must have that ability..." to prove itself, remember? Further, it seems to contradict commonsense, in thinking your doubtful nature to be superior to God's alleged omnipotence.

Which is it? Can God convince you of its existence, or can't it?

If there existed a god that cared one way or another whether I believed in it, then I would believe in it. It wouldn't be a difficult matter. It could tailor an appropriate set of proofs to fit each individual person.

A god that wants people to believe in it but does this bad of a job making itself known is pretty weak and likely shouldn't be given the title of a god. A god capable of making itself known but for whatever reason doesn't feel like it is fine I guess, but the question becomes less relevant.

You seem to have an inbuilt denial of God's existence with your preconception of what you feel God could, or should do.

I can appreciate that. But let me say this:

If you support your opinion of God's non-existence by citing the poor state of things, then I ask that you afford me the same privilage. I could say the very opposite; that in spite of everything, there is so much love and good-will about me; so much joy to be had, for so many. And from that positive outlook, I can just as easily infer God's existence in love, as you can infer God's non-existence from evil and suffering.

Who has the better opinion? I ask. And really, that's all it is, an aesthetic opinion.

Truth is, we can project onto the universe any opinion we want, but in the end, it will have no effect on God's existence in actuality.

I like discussion and debate but have no interest in convincing anyone of things that I have not as yet managed to comprehend.

Do you think a creator-being could compel you to understand its existence? and without doubt?

Restated: Can the human mind even comprehend the reality of God's existence?

Experience
Arguements from natural theology

that depends is there more than one rational view? I think that if they are open to thiesm then yes, but if not then no.

Okay, so a theological argument would convince you.

Could you be a little more specific? Can you say what information the argument would have to convey before you would believe in God? And why would you be more prone to accept theological testimony over, say...the testimony of those who claim to have been divinely healed, or who claim a revelation?

If you are right about this, then I will start studying theology.

I would be inclined to think that if the human mind could comprehend the reality of it's own existance it is the same thing.
Can it do such a thing? I suspect it can.

Great, then at least we agree on that!

Though I'm not sure I appreciate the analogy; that is, comprehending our own existence to be the same as comprehending a supreme being, whose attributes are no more real than a guess, and whose essense is totally unknown.

Similarly somebody asked, What would you consider the proof of your True Father's existence ? (means truly who is your father, how will you proove)

The answer was, we can match the D N A test.

Similarly in case of "God" we can match the D N A which is called "LOVE",
God is "Love" and we all are drop of that "Love".

But how can we test there is "Love" inside us ?
[A clip]

I'm not sure I follow you. Even if we admit love to be inside us, how does that prove God? Most would agree, all of us have the capacity for evil too. From that knowledge of evil, do we then conclude God's NON-existence?

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
You seem to have an inbuilt denial of God's existence with your preconception of what you feel God could, or should do.

I can appreciate that. But let me say this:

If you support your opinion of God's non-existence by citing the poor state of things, then I ask that you afford me the same privilage. I could say the very opposite; that in spite of everything, there is so much love and good-will about me; so much joy to be had, for so many. And from that positive outlook, I can just as easily infer God's existence in love, as you can infer God's non-existence from evil and suffering.

Who has the better opinion? I ask. And really, that's all it is, an aesthetic opinion.

Truth is, we can project onto the universe any opinion we want, but in the end, it will have no effect on God's existence in actuality.

Penumbra certainly doesn't need me to defend her statements. Truth for truth, she can obviously do a much better job at that particular task than I can, anyway. But since this is an open forum and since I was passing by, so to speak, reading the posts, I thought I'd point out there doesn't appear to be any basis for some of your conclusions.

Now, perhaps you are basing your thoughts, quoted above, on some previous posts or a previous discussion/debate. But, to an outside observer, we don't really see what you're talking about, since you are responding directly to the following:

Originally Posted by Penumbra
If there existed a god that cared one way or another whether I believed in it, then I would believe in it. It wouldn't be a difficult matter. It could tailor an appropriate set of proofs to fit each individual person.

A god that wants people to believe in it but does this bad of a job making itself known is pretty weak and likely shouldn't be given the title of a god. A god capable of making itself known but for whatever reason doesn't feel like it is fine I guess, but the question becomes less relevant.

Nowhere in that post do I read that she supports her opinion regarding God's existence, or lack thereof, due to the "poor state of things". She said quite directly and quite clearly, I thought, that her lack of belief in God derives from a lack of evidence for Him, a lack of communication on His part--communication he could appropriately taylor for each individual given God's supposed omnipotence. She clearly states that if a god wanted people to believe in its existence, then it is doing a horrible job at making itself known. She didn't say anything about 'evil and suffering'. It very well might be true that those things are a basis for her 'non-belief', but she didn't state that in the post to which you responded.

I certainly mean no offense to either of you. I just thought you might want to know how your reply appears to an outside observer. It seems that you are missing the point.

I too believe it would be weak reasoning to hold that God can't exist simply because there is evil and cruelty in the world. But beliefs formed from lack of evidence, from an overwhelming silence from God, from a starkly noticable refusal on His part to state definitively beyond question, "Here I am. This is what you must do to please me. Do it, if you will." --nonbelief based on the lack of that assurance from God seems obligatory, in that we should be obliged to refuse anything that a supposedly good God demands on blind faith. Because, let's face it, we have no idea whether it truly comes from God or some powerful devil just trying to make us think he is God.

Ehh, just my humble opinion.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
The phenomenon of cause and effect (causality) is a feature of our world and we don't even know what it is or how it works.
Actually, we do; It doesn't. On the very, very small scale, objects can appear and disappear entirely spontaneously. Thief's argument falls apart completely.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Actually, we do; It doesn't. On the very, very small scale, objects can appear and disappear entirely spontaneously. Thief's argument falls apart completely.
Couldn't "spontaneity" be an indicator of a cause that has not yet been identified?

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Couldn't "spontaneity" be an indicator of a cause that has not yet been identified?

No. There stands the possibility that a cause exists, even though we have yet to identify it. However, it certainly isn't an 'indicator of a cause'. Perhaps there isn't one. Perhaps there is. But the act itself of particles popping into existence without an apparent cause, that doesn't, in and of itself, indicate a cause or not. But then again, I'm no physicist. Although, I did read Carl Sagan's novel, Contact, and loooooooved it. So, I think that qualifies me to build at least a superconductor, maybe even an intersteller transportation device capable of particle deconstruction and reconstruction, I'm pretty sure.