• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's For Dinner?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Fish and chips again I'm afraid, the freezer is empty until tomorrow so we'll just have to make do.

Followed by left over sponge cake.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I have this concoction I make with vegetable broth, basmati rice, mushrooms, a chili pepper, onion, garlic and ginger paste, cumin seeds, chili powder, garam masala, salt, and black pepper.

I have no idea what to call it, but I'm having that. I have a chili flavored ramen noodle pack in the cabinet, so I may try using the noodles instead of the rice and pitch the flavor packet.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Tonight it is going to be fresh, never frozen, Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon. Probably the second best salmon in the world. It is only beaten by Wild Copper River King Salmon.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Tonight it is going to be fresh, never frozen, Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon. Probably the second best salmon in the world. It is only beaten by Wild Copper River King Salmon.

Much as i love fresh salmon, oak smoked beats it and braden rost, slow kiln roasted is king.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I'm thawing a pack of fresh water fish -- bream I think -- so fried fish and french fries -- the American equivalent of fish & chips.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Much as i love fresh salmon, oak smoked beats it and braden rost, slow kiln roasted is king.
There is salmon and there is salmon. Braden rost appears to be based upon an inferior species of salmon. Farm raised Atlantic salmon is rather lacking in taste and texture. Now smoking will change the texture, so that may not be so bad once you tighten it up a bit. but you still have the original lack of flavor. Do you even have fresh wild caught Pacific salmon out there? From my experience even frozen sockeye is is far superior to fresh farm raised Atlantic salmon and fresh salmon is a step up from that. And Copper River Salmon is at the very top because the Copper river is the most difficult of all of the streams for salmon to migrate in. They need to be a bit larger and have more fat to make it up that very fast flowing stream.

I would try to get some braden rost. But the real thing is not available here. I see prices all over the place for it. From as low as about 15 pounds kilogram. Which is about half of what I paid for Copper River sockeye. When it first came out at a local store that first catch was almost twice as much. And it is according to one article that I read at three times the price I just paid generally in the US. Seattle is the first major port that it is shipped to. So it can be quite cheap here. I paid $14.95 a pound, and it was fresh. Now the odds are that this company is has frozen Copper River Salmon, so you will not quite get the full experience, and it is a little bit more than twice as much:

s887011256225291932_p259_i2_w3072.jpeg

Just look at that fish. And that is not artificially colored. Farmed salmon in the US has to note that its pink color comes from them adding the main chemical that causes salmon to be "salmon colored" to their food. That is the natural color of sockeye.

So any sources for broden rost that ships to the US?

ChristineM

Premium Member
@Subduction Zone

We can't get Pacific salmon here. Norwegian salmon which is about the best is Atlantic.

I don't know of anyone shipping salmon to America but you may find American salmon smokers who do hot kiln smoked

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Subduction Zone

We can't get Pacific salmon here. Norwegian salmon which is about the best is Atlantic.

I don't know of anyone shipping salmon to America but you may find American salmon smokers who do hot kiln smoked
I could even try to do that myself. But smoking is an arti and I would probably botch it the first few times around. It would be interesting to taste the various farmed salmon. I would buy some English smoked Braden rost but it does not appear to be a possibility. I am very sure that you would not be able to get fresh Copper River Salmon out there. It is something that one has to taste to appreciate. A few years back during the pandemic I had an insanely good deal on Copper River Sockeye. It was only 3 bucks a pound. It was during a sale and they over ordered and were getting more salmon in the next day. I swear it was the best ever.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If you want it gourmet do not forget the little smokies. Hold on a second . . .

Wish I could find those here!

I've been eating 'quick food' lately during the day, and eating something decent after Ares has gone to bed, if I have the energy for preparing it.

I'm hoping for risotto later.