• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's God's Big Hangup With Homosexuality?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
While God may tolerate homosexuals (He never really comes out and condemns such people), according to the Bible it's clear He detests homosexual acts, both male and female. He even wants men who engage in homosexuality to be put to death. Three passages in particular address His distaste. (If there are other direct scriptural references feel free to share.)

Leviticus 18:22 (ERV)
22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!

Leviticus 20:13
(ERV)
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Romans 1:24, 26-27 (ERV)
24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.​

Currently, it's estimated that from 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the population identify as LGBT.* With the current world population now hitting close to 7.5 billion, and considering God's attitude in Leviticus 20:13, this means there are between 112 - 635 million people (homosexuals) He feels are better off dead.

Pretty drastic of a loving god if you ask me. So the question arises: Just what the heck does God find so abhorrent about homosexual activity? He certainly doesn't leave any clue. Perhaps He may doth protest too much?

Anyone care to take a stab?

*The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been more accurately studied in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual. In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender). An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender. The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT. Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.
Source: Wikipedia

God's not the one with the hang up about homosexuality - people who endorse, practice and promote it are.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God's not the one with the hang up about homosexuality - people who endorse, practice and promote it are.

He does. Homosexuality, according to the Bible, is considered sexual promiscuity and likened to other lust acts as well as crimes such as murder and "moral crimes" such as adultery.

The Bible doesn't mention sexual orientation; so, I've heard Christians say there is no such thing as homosexual sexual orientation. With that be the case, if they think its a behavior, then they are right; it's a sin. Just the way they express it needs to be addressed.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think he is referring to how many religious people seem to hate LGBT. Apparently, some of them refer to verses in the Bible such as
Leviticus 20:13. God seems to want to kill men who engage in gay sex.

It's not so much a hang up with God that we are supposed to be discussing, but God's hang up with gays.

No its Jews hangups with Homosexuals 3000 years ago.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
Maybe God is hung up about it because his son, Jesus was GAY. A man who tells other men to leave their families and hang out with him - sharing everything for 3.5 years, is clearly homosexual. During his days with his pals I am sure he ignored his dad quite a bit. Maybe his more gentle, feminine way of handling things ticked Yehweh off so in turn he told all of those Sodomites to rearrange the OT text to make it seem like it was his idea to find it "bad".

ahamtatsat

The Stranger
[/QUOTE] (we can all re-read your post if we want - this saves space and time, lol)

The problem has nothing to do with the Divine, but the interpretations placed upon "HIS WILL" by those pesky "human beings". The same Bible that rails against homosexuals as being an abomination includes others among the abomination crowd. Left-handed people. People who put two seeds into the same hole. People who wear two DIFFERENT types of clothing at the same time. i think specific footwear is mentioned - and Nike's aren't on the list....

In other words, when these "christians" get all uppity about the gay community you can ask or see what they are wearing. Chances are excellent that they have a combination of cotton, polyester, nylon, rayon, wool somewhere in the clothes they are wearing. In that case - they are JUST as much an abomination and just as horrible as those world destroying (sarcasm) homosexuals.

So if they intend to do something about the "abomination" of homosexuals - why don't they try to pass legislation forbidding the seed gig, and the clothing fiasco, and those HORRIBLE left handers? To focus only upon the homosexual community when they theirselves are likely some sort of abomination is ridiculous - and proof that they are NOT being simply Biblical, but are truly homophobic.

ahamtatsat

The Stranger
Maybe God is hung up about it because his son, Jesus was GAY. A man who tells other men to leave their families and hang out with him - sharing everything for 3.5 years, is clearly homosexual. During his days with his pals I am sure he ignored his dad quite a bit. Maybe his more gentle, feminine way of handling things ticked Yehweh off so in turn he told all of those Sodomites to rearrange the OT text to make it seem like it was his idea to find it "bad".
Cute but perhaps silly? The definition of gays as abominations (and left handed people, people who put 2 seeds in one hole, people wearing two (shudder) different types of clothing materials at the same time - were all OT stuff. Ancient Jewish mindset.

To state that because someone hangs with guys means all those guys going to football games.... Drinking in bars (lol) "pretending" to try and pick up babes... all gay? C'mon - in a culture where females and males had separate places in the synagogue so the men wouldn't be attracted at inappropriate moments - you think hanging with females was an option? Hang with married women and have a husband kill you. Hang with younger women and get killed for tainting their perception of marriageable virginity - making the ladies look racy and unmarriageable. (screwed up that as a business transaction) No win situation in the day i'm guessing.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
To state that because someone hangs with guys means all those guys going to football games.... Drinking in bars (lol) "pretending" to try and pick up babes... all gay? C'mon - in a culture where females and males had separate places in the synagogue so the men wouldn't be attracted at inappropriate moments - you think hanging with females was an option? Hang with married women and have a husband kill you. Hang with younger women and get killed for tainting their perception of marriageable virginity - making the ladies look racy and unmarriageable. (screwed up that as a business transaction) No win situation in the day i'm guessing.

Where did I state any of the above activities for Jesus and his boys? I merely stated facts. He asked 12 men to leave their families and hang out and travel with him for 3.5 years. They even slept together. He was GAY.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
While God may tolerate homosexuals (He never really comes out and condemns such people), according to the Bible it's clear He detests homosexual acts, both male and female. He even wants men who engage in homosexuality to be put to death. Three passages in particular address His distaste. (If there are other direct scriptural references feel free to share.)

The Hebrews wanted to stand out as separate culturally and religiously since they couldn't stand out physically, so they decided to make everything the pagans did an abomination. Other gods, certain goods, fertility rites, etc. That way Yahweh would bless them for keeping "pure."

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I doubt any one will.
I suspect most replies will be personal attacks on you with nothing to say about the OP.

The thing is, any reason given will be pure speculation.
The Bible is completely silent on the why same sex acts are considered abominations by god.

Interestingly enough, the vast majority of those who claim to follow the Bible will not admit the Bibles silence.
For they are to busy committing ad hominem (false witness) in the name of their lord god.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Most Christians know god personally. The Bible just confirms their belief unless they worship the Bible.

He leaves no clue? If so, why would you agree that "...god really distaste homosexuality" if he leaves no clue whatsoever?
My question wasn't addressing the fact that he detests homosexuality, but why he does. The reason.

I assume you already know why some Christians hate homosexuality.

1. They define it as a behavior and sexual promiscuity. That is expressively against god according to scripture

2. Some believe homosexual orientation doesn't exist. Meaning people choose to be LGBTQ. So whatever we do behind doors, even if it's just pecking each other on the cheek of of love is our choice and that choice is a sin.

3. Many still think (found out recently in another thread) homosexuality is illed and linked to sexual abuse as if homosexual behavior is some how connected to any person committing sexual assault. It's funny, actually. I think people who believe this need to do more asking actual homosexuals about what it means to be LGBTQ rather than scripture and "facts" that supposedly support their arguments.
Well, all the Christians I've heard from cite at least one of the three passages I put in my OP. In effect God says he detests homosexuality and calls it a sin.

With that said, god detest homosexual behavior not homosexuality.

Unless you define homosexuality as a behavior, where does it say he hates homosexuality?
That's the way I've seen Christians, except perhaps yourself, define it: "Homosexuality" = homosexual behavior. NOT the sexual orientation itself.

Do you know why?
1. Homosexuality, to many christians, is an action not a sexual orientation (mentioned above). As such, sexual actions are only commited a. within marriage and b. between male and female.

Give it up man. It is what it is.
WHAAAAT? Then I guess fornication:

for·ni·ca·tion
ˌfôrnəˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: fornication; plural noun: fornications
sexual intercourse between people not married to each other.​

doesn't exist and god can take it off his list of sins.

1 Corinthians 6:9 (KJ21)
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the Kingdom of God? Be not deceived: Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor the effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

2. I don't know about other countries, but America doesn't do that. We may do riots, picket businesses, do protests (as I've seen the Church do) but not put people to death. That's back in the stone ages.
Of course not. Most people today don't take all the directives of the God of Abraham that seriously. They pick and choose which to follow. Because of your needs you, evidently, disregard Leviticus 18:22; Leviticus 20:13; and Romans 1:24, 26-27. Which leads me to ask if this is the basis for believing everything else in the Bible: whether or not it suits your purposes?

My point in "how do you know this" is do you know god personally?
Well, believe it or not, but I do have a reading ability past that of a nine year-old. So when I read," “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death." I comprehend that it means that people who have sex with anyone of the same sex must be killed. . . . well, men anyway.

Most christians know god apart from the bible? Unless it's an idol, god exists with and without the book itself. They just feel they know more about him personally through scripture.

Without scripture, do you know god?

If you do, how do you know? and has he told you personally that he hates homosexuality?
I only know what I read, and what Christians say they believe. I read that God obviously abhors homosexuality, and Christians have essentially said the same.

Christians can say whatever they want, but the real issue behind all these threads is, if you don't believe a god exist, you can't change scripture you can just ask why-why-why and how-how-how and every other christian will say something similar to what I said above.
If you think I've changed scripture, please point it out.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
He does. Homosexuality, according to the Bible, is considered sexual promiscuity and likened to other lust acts as well as crimes such as murder and "moral crimes" such as adultery.

The Bible doesn't mention sexual orientation; so, I've heard Christians say there is no such thing as homosexual sexual orientation. With that be the case, if they think its a behavior, then they are right; it's a sin. Just the way they express it needs to be addressed.

Hi Carlita. But to you God does not exist!! So now you want to say He has hang ups He suddenly exists??

I hope you have a nice holiday season and happy new year.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The Hebrews wanted to stand out as separate culturally and religiously since they couldn't stand out physically, so they decided to make everything the pagans did an abomination. Other gods, certain goods, fertility rites, etc. That way Yahweh would bless them for keeping "pure."
So it wasn't God's doing at all. His opinion didn't even figure into the equation. Okay.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I doubt any one will.
I suspect most replies will be personal attacks on you with nothing to say about the OP.

The thing is, any reason given will be pure speculation.
Absolutely, but hopefully they will be interesting speculations.

HeatherAnn

In a common religious book, God is referred to as "truth, life and light."
Rephrasing the OP's question: "What is truth's hang-up with homosexuality?"

A common argument for homosexuality is pointing out how animals occasionally engage in homosexuality. They compare human beings with animals. Red flag right there. Animals eat their young, so should humans? Babies are not born with any sexual urges. Babies are born with brains that are only 25% developed, so they can adapt to environmental influences. Sexuality is learned behavior.

Although what people do behind closed doors is their business - lately, they make it everyone else's business. If you research a little, you realize that systematic mind control was conducted (see book: "After the Ball") - where society (who previously was less accepting or at least neutral of homosexuality) was indoctrinated to believe that homosexuality was "natural" and happy/gay - good when statistically it proves to be harmful - STDs, AIDS/HIV and mental illness - according to US CDC - and obviously anal-sex has risks of anal fissures, anal cancer, colon rupture and bacterial infection. But no, people ignore this as well as they ignore the fact that children need a mom and dad - both moms and dads are important. 2 dads are not the same, nor are 2 moms. But of course many people fall for the mind-control and ignore facts - even to the detriment of others, like children. They were subject to careful and calculated mind-control which is why many - even on this forum - have followed along in calling any objectors, "homophobes" or "bigots" just for acknowledging human reproduction and undeniable, but inconvenient facts.

"Homosexuality is death, I choose life" - ex homosexual and ex "gay rights" leader

Skwim

Veteran Member
In a common religious book, God is referred to as "truth, life and light."
Rephrasing the OP's question: "What is truth's hang-up with homosexuality?"
What does this accomplish?

A common argument for homosexuality is pointing out how animals occasionally engage in homosexuality. They compare human beings with animals. Red flag right there. Animals eat their young, so should humans?
Why are you bring in "shoulds"? No one is say that people should be homosexuals. In comparing homosexuals to the 1,000+ animals that engage in homosexuality, people are only pointing out that it is not an unnatural behavior among animals.

HeatherAnn

What does this accomplish?
Are you interested in truth, or do you think it doesn't accomplish much to look for it?

Why are you bring in "shoulds"? No one is say that people should be homosexuals. In comparing homosexuals to the 1,000+ animals that engage in homosexuality, people are only pointing out that it is not an unnatural behavior among animals..
You are the one bringing up the "should" not me.
So, because animals do it, human can - but animals do some sick things - like eat their young.
Don't you see that this (like so many other arguments for homosexuality) is illogical - not based on TRUTH?

QuestioningMind

22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!

(ERV)
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.​

Currently, it's estimated that from 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the population identify as LGBT.* With the current world population now hitting close to 7.5 billion, and considering God's attitude in Leviticus 20:13, this means there are between 112 - 635 million people (homosexuals) He feels are better off dead.

Pretty drastic of a loving god if you ask me. So the question arises: Just what the heck does God find so abhorrent about homosexual activity? He certainly doesn't leave any clue. Perhaps He may doth protest too much?

*The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been more accurately studied in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual. In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender). An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender. The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT. Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.

God has absolutely no problem with gay people. It's only the hateful human beings who wrote the bible who try and claim that God hates what they choose to hate. It's truly sad and pathetic.

Sonofason

(ERV)

It's hard to respond to your comment with a contrasting view as such opinions would not be tolerated here. So I think I'll pass. God is always right.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Are you interested in truth, or do you think it doesn't accomplish much to look for it?
The issue here is: What's God's Big Hangup With Homosexuality? and I fail to see how referring to God as "truth, life and light." in some common religious book is germane.

You are the one bringing up the "should" not me.
Where?

So, because animals do it, human can - but animals do some sick things - like eat their young.
Don't you see that this (like so many other arguments for homosexuality) is illogical - not based on TRUTH?
Not looking for any argument for or against homosexuality, only What's God's Big Hangup With Homosexuality? If you don't want to or can't answer the question, then fine. In this thread I'm not interested in what you think about homosexuality.

Last edited: