• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Bible say about Hermaphrodites?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Suppose there were a person whose gender would be indeterminate at birth. Let's say this person matures into a person with an overdeveloped clitoris / underdeveloped penis. What type of sexual behavior from such a person would be permissible, according to the Bible?

Jeremiah Ames

Suppose there were a person whose gender would be indeterminate at birth. Let's say this person matures into a person with an overdeveloped clitoris / underdeveloped penis. What type of sexual behavior from such a person would be permissible, according to the Bible?

Whatever they choose.

That’s the result of the gift of ‘free will’, which separates us from all other living things.

God does not judge, so the concept of being permissible or not permissible via the Bible does not exist.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing directly, but they would be required I think to find out if they were able to either bear children or inseminate. Depending upon their capability they would proceed from there. If they couldn't reproduce at all then no sexual behavior would be required I think. That is -- if they were taking the command seriously to be fruitful and multiply.

lostwanderingsoul

There are chromesome tests that determine male or female.

I would guess, overdeveloped, or underdeveloped. :D

Seriously, I think that shouldn’t be that difficult. If person has penis/clitoris, it should be used for its designed purposes, if possible and not otherwise bad idea. If person doesn’t have, it doesn’t mean that then it is ok to use other body parts stupidly for wrong purposes.

Or what do you think, if person has very small mouth, should he try to eat through his ears, because they are also holes in the head?

Jeremiah Ames

Nothing directly, but they would be required I think to find out if they were able to either bear children or inseminate. Depending upon their capability they would proceed from there. If they couldn't reproduce at all then no sexual behavior would be required I think. That is -- if they were taking the command seriously to be fruitful and multiply.

The command to be fruitful and multiply has nothing to do with having offspring, in the spiritual. To me, the literal Word is only a container for the incredible beauty hidden within. The Divine design guarantees the species will perpetuate itself. Nearly 8 billion people running around this planet is evidence.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There are chromesome tests that determine male or female.

What about somebody who has a 46,XX/46,XY "true hermaphroditism" genetic condition caused by chimerism, what gender would somebody like this be considered?

"46,XX/46,XY is a chimeric genetic condition caused by having two distinct cell populations within the body. The chimerism arises in utero from the combination of an XX zygote and an XY zygote (which otherwise would have developed into twins) into a single embryo.[1] It is not to be confused with mosaicism and hybridism. 46,XX/46,XY is sometimes associated with Intersex conditions such as ambiguous genitalia and hermaphroditism."

Reference: Kim, Kyu-Rae; Kwon, Youngmee; Joung, Jae Young; Kim, Kun Suk; Ayala, Alberto G.; ťRo, Jae Y. (2002). "True Hermaphroditism and Mixed Gonadal Dysgenesis in Young Children: A Clinicopathologic Study of 10 Cases". Modern Pathology. 15 (10): 1013–9. doi:10.1097/01.MP.0000027623.23885.0D. PMID 12379746.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I don't think ancient goat herders were that advanced, though.

Suppose they were advanced enough to do genetic testing that resulted in the detection of 46,XX/46,XY "true hermaphroditism" genetic condition caused by chimerism, what gender would they have considered somebody like this to be?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Suppose they were advanced enough to do genetic testing that resulted in the detection of 46,XX/46,XY "true hermaphroditism" genetic condition caused by chimerism, what gender would they have considered somebody like this to be?

If they were that advanced, the bible would be so radically different that it would be a moot point.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Probably would have been stoned to death as a witch

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Interestingly enough in traditional Judaism there are 6 genders...4 of which could be intersex conditions.I don't know if they are mention in the original Hebrew in the Torah through...

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The command to be fruitful and multiply has nothing to do with having offspring, in the spiritual. To me, the literal Word is only a container for the incredible beauty hidden within. The Divine design guarantees the species will perpetuate itself. Nearly 8 billion people running around this planet is evidence.
I also take it non-literally; however the OP is asking about very literal bronze age living where its a lot more dangerous to have babies, women don't live as long, babies often die young etc. They have more of a problem keeping the population up. Also suppose your family carries an important virtue such as a tradition of peace. You might infer an ethical requirement to reproduce.

Ellen Brown

I wonder if Matt 19:12 would apply to them? I would think so.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder if Matt 19:12 would apply to them? I would think so.
I would be circumspect about it, since it is part of a commentary about divorce. He is suggesting I think that though there is the command to procreate its better to live like a eunuch than to have a hard heart towards a wife, and if you can't be nice then don't get married. He also implies divorce happens because of the man's hard heart. Its significant as it interprets the law which says if a man finds something wrong with his wife he should divorce her. A hermaphrodite ( a fairly rare case probably ) is not specifically referred to. Also I think its not suggesting that a eunuch is holier than a married man. Its just saying there is no point in marrying if you're going to be a jerk. Just stay single if you can't be a decent husband. There are other points of the law that circumspectly suggest that and Bible stories, too. Jesus is not saying anything innovative. Its what we would call common sense.

InChrist

Free4ever
Why do you ask a question like this?

WalterTrull

Godfella
Hermaphrodite

I believe this is a reference to the ancient Nubian queen, supposedly the result of relations between Hermes and Aphrodite. There were questions, ah yes questions. I am told this is still the slang for self-sufficiency in Nubia. Most translations of the bible being made during periods of bias, I doubt there were many allusions to Nubian queens.

Ellen Brown

I would be circumspect about it, since it is part of a commentary about divorce. He is suggesting I think that though there is the command to procreate its better to live like a eunuch than to have a hard heart towards a wife, and if you can't be nice then don't get married. He also implies divorce happens because of the man's hard heart. Its significant as it interprets the law which says if a man finds something wrong with his wife he should divorce her. A hermaphrodite ( a fairly rare case probably ) is not specifically referred to. Also I think its not suggesting that a eunuch is holier than a married man. Its just saying there is no point in marrying if you're going to be a jerk. Just stay single if you can't be a decent husband. There are other points of the law that circumspectly suggest that and Bible stories, too. Jesus is not saying anything innovative. Its what we would call common sense.

Perhaps you could read Matt 19:12 again? It is very specific. My thinking is that an infertile Intersex person would have been made that way by God, and according to Isaiah 56:4-5 there is a clear path, should one choose to follow it. Some balk at what that passage says, so let them work it out by prayer and supplication.