• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Bible say about Hermaphrodites?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps you could read Matt 19:12 again? It is very specific.
Unfortunately sometimes people think Jesus is telling them to remove their testicles or that no one should get married or that its forbidden to divorce and remarry. People have actually had their testicles removed over this passage, have lived alone for years and years when their spouses left them or have stayed married in harmful relationships. People have lived their lives at the tops of towers. Its terribly unfortunate.

Here's a very significant passage about eunuchs:
"For this is what the LORD says: 'To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold fast to my covenant—to them I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will endure forever.' "
(NIV Isaiah 56:4-5)

Ellen Brown

Hermaphrodite

I believe this is a reference to the ancient Nubian queen, supposedly the result of relations between Hermes and Aphrodite. There were questions, ah yes questions. I am told this is still the slang for self-sufficiency in Nubia. Most translations of the bible being made during periods of bias, I doubt there were many allusions to Nubian queens.

You are aware that around 2% of those born are Intersex? In some countries like Iraq, it is higher than that. There is a theory that the depleted Uranium bullets from the war caused that. Today, the "And God made them Male and Female" bit is not true today. I do not know if that is due to the disintegration of our genes for various reasons applies?

Old line Christians, among others just increase the suffering of those affected. One day, God will speak about that.

Ellen Brown

Unfortunately sometimes people think Jesus is telling them to remove their testicles or that no one should get married or that its forbidden to divorce and remarry. People have actually had their testicles removed over this passage, have lived alone for years and years when their spouses left them or have stayed married in harmful relationships. People have lived their lives at the tops of towers. Its terribly unfortunate.

Here's a very significant passage about eunuchs:
"For this is what the LORD says: 'To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold fast to my covenant—to them I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will endure forever.' "
(NIV Isaiah 56:4-5)

I know this passage also, and it has provided an anchor for me. Most people don't understand what happened to me, and I am glad. I'm 72. Perhaps it will be over soon?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Whatever they choose.

That’s the result of the gift of ‘free will’, which separates us from all other living things.

God does not judge, so the concept of being permissible or not permissible via the Bible does not exist.

Hard to have free will if God considers BBQ'ing my soul for a gift he "freely" gave me to begin with.

WalterTrull

Godfella
You are aware that around 2% of those born are Intersex? In some countries like Iraq, it is higher than that. There is a theory that the depleted Uranium bullets from the war caused that. Today, the "And God made them Male and Female" bit is not true today. I do not know if that is due to the disintegration of our genes for various reasons applies?

Old line Christians, among others just increase the suffering of those affected. One day, God will speak about that.

Really not sure how this relates to my attempt at humor. nevertheless.

There are a myriad unpleasant and exceptionally unpleasant human conditions. I do in no way wish to imply that I am not empathetic. We try to find human fixes, but I feel there will always be more as they appear to be catalyst. The solution I believe inheres in the lord’s prayer: “...thy will be done in earth…” and “...give us this day our daily bread…” God is as God always has been and always will be.

Personally, I haven’t found solid footing on the path yet, but I have confidence that one day the mist will clear for me and I will be able to walk it.

Ellen Brown

Really not sure how this relates to my attempt at humor. nevertheless.

There are a myriad unpleasant and exceptionally unpleasant human conditions. I do in no way wish to imply that I am not empathetic. We try to find human fixes, but I feel there will always be more as they appear to be catalyst. The solution I believe inheres in the lord’s prayer: “...thy will be done in earth…” and “...give us this day our daily bread…” God is as God always has been and always will be.

Personally, I haven’t found solid footing on the path yet, but I have confidence that one day the mist will clear for me and I will be able to walk it.

Sorry, I missed the humor because I am so caught up in my own pain. I wish there was a reset timer on this forum. I need it right now.

Faithofchristian

Suppose there were a person whose gender would be indeterminate at birth. Let's say this person matures into a person with an overdeveloped clitoris / underdeveloped penis. What type of sexual behavior from such a person would be permissible, according to the Bible?

Well it's evidence by what your saying that person was born with the defect,
There's no where in the bible that condemns such a person.

But there are cases in the bible, where Jesus healed many people that were born with defects.
So to say, would the bible condemn such a person born with overdeveloped clitoris / underdeveloped penis. Nope not at all, Seeing the person was born that way.

So your case is blown right out of the water, even before it got off the ground.

Neuropteron

Suppose there were a person whose gender would be indeterminate at birth. Let's say this person matures into a person with an overdeveloped clitoris / underdeveloped penis. What type of sexual behavior from such a person would be permissible, according to the Bible?

Although the Bible does not mention all types of deformities (including Hermaphrodites) the same rule of cleanliness and chastity apply to all regardless of sexual orientation.
In God's word fornication is condemned whether it is practised by heterosexual or homosexuals.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I say we should use our brains and science and say we don't know what the gender of the person is, and let them decide for themselves.

shmogie

Bizarre question. Most people with this problem have it corrected at birth. This is so rare, the Bible never mentions it.

These are people with a reason for gender dysphoria

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
.In the beginning, before separating Adam from Eve, this is how God created them.

Ellen Brown

That's a great quote Ellen; thank you for bringing it to my attention.

You are welcome. There is also Isaiah 56:4-5 and for me that was telling and life saving, literally. To me, it says that no matter what has happened to you, if you seek to please God, he will not ignore you.

Jumi

There are chromesome tests that determine male or female.
There's no test for determining gender by chromosome. It's the doctors who mutiliate kids who are born with both.

And you know there are people with chromosomes of the opposite gender.

Such as with the ones born male with XXY or XX
XX male syndrome - Wikipedia

The case of Caster Semenya the female runner who has high testosterone is a case in point. She was pronounced as a male who identifies as female. Well she is "born female", but obviously has an intersex trait.

Jumi

Bizarre question. Most people with this problem have it corrected at birth. This is so rare, the Bible never mentions it.
"Corrected" as in forced sex change operation with no input from the one being "fixed" into something the doctor wants to... why would we support such mutilations?

Over 1:1000 are born intersexed, it depends on what we mean by rare if we say it isn't rare. In my view it's not too rare, the Greek doctors and philosophers talked about it in antiquity. Sumerian creation myths also mentioned it, so educated people in middle-east would have known about it by the time the Bible was written. It's rather universally known in cultures around the world.

Ellen Brown

There's no test for determining gender by chromosome. It's the doctors who mutiliate kids who are born with both.

And you know there are people with chromosomes of the opposite gender.

Such as with the ones born male with XXY or XX
XX male syndrome - Wikipedia

The case of Caster Semenya the female runner who has high testosterone is a case in point. She was pronounced as a male who identifies as female. Well she is "born female", but obviously has an intersex trait.

Really? What is your field of expertise?