• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Can Someone Change His or Her Consent to Sex?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Let me give an example, lets say my wife reads about a new technique in a magazine and decides to surprise me with this new adventure the next time we have sex. Perhaps I do not enjoy this very much but think she is deriving pleasure from it and just endure what she is doing for her benefit because after all, she is the one taking lead here.

After we are done, I mention that was not my best experience and she tells me the only reason she was doing it was for my pleasure.

Some times different activities may not be your preference, but you do it anyway because your mate really enjoys it.

Sex is often focused on just one mate and later you enjoy your favorite thing which may not be mutually either of your favorite activity.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My point is what I have said many times.

The stopping is not instantaneous on all scenarios given muscular response may be slow due to taking time to notice the problem.

Bouncing action can work similar to sprint, you cant literally stop on a dime.

You can withdraw as quickly as you "Want" to.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I think expecting a complete stranger to be this loving caring sharing perfect sexual partner is very unrealistic which is why you should not go to bed with people you have not known for a while.

Using the pull out method for birth control is ignorant for example. Making laws for people like this is just plain stupid IMO.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Let me give an example, lets say my wife reads about a new technique in a magazine and decides to surprise me with this new adventure the next time we have sex. Perhaps I do not enjoy this very much but think she is deriving pleasure from it and just endure what she is doing for her benefit because after all, she is the one taking lead here.

After we are done, I mention that was not my best experience and she tells me the only reason she was doing it was for my pleasure.

Some times different activities may not be your preference, but you do it anyway because your mate really enjoys it.

Sex is often focused on just one mate and later you enjoy your favorite thing which may not be mutually either of your favorite activity.

All of this is within the bounds of consent. If you agree to endure, you are agreeing in the first place. If you do not wish to endure an activity, the experience becomes very problematic if the activity continues.

I look at the difference this way:

1) My lover and I outside of the bedroom go to a buffet and peruse the food items available. One of us points to a carrot cake and says, "I LOVE carrot cake! Would you eat this piece of cake with me? We could feed each other!" The other partner doesn't mind carrot cake, though it isn't a favorite. However, the enthusiasm is absolutely contagious. And the other partner agrees to eating carrot cake too in spite of the fact that it would never be a first choice. Afterward, the carrot cake really wasn't all that enjoyable. Too bad. Nice try.

2) My lover and I outside of the bedroom at the same buffet peruse the food items available, and one of us points to a carrot cake and says, "I LOVE carrot cake! Would you eat this piece of cake with me? We could feed each other!" Problem is, the cake has wheat in it, and one of the partners has Celiac disease. "No, thank you, that would make me sick," says that other partner. However, the first partner begins begging, pleading, then turning to threatening or shaming....and then finally picks up the piece of carrot cake and shoves it into the mouth of the partner with Celiac disease....because they wanted to share in the carrot cake together.

There is a clear boundary that is being crossed there. Sex is very much like tasting various things from a buffet together. Some foods are exotic enough to try, some look too foreign to entice, some are known to cause gastric distress but the taste is too good to pass up, some are known to cause gastric distress and isn't worth the experience, some are favorites, some bring back good memories, some bring back painful memories, and some are just "meh."

Some couples never venture beyond steak and potatoes at the buffet every single time. That's fine if they both agree to it. Some couples try all the foods either at some point in various visits or all at once. That's fine if they both agree to it. What isn't okay is if one partner forces the other to eat at the buffet in the first place, or forces a certain kind of food down into the partners mouth when they said, "no."

Agreeing to a not-so-favorite activity is not in the same realm as being forced into that same activity.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think expecting a complete stranger to be this loving caring sharing perfect sexual partner is very unrealistic which is why you should not go to bed with people you have not known for a while.

Using the pull out method for birth control is ignorant for example. Making laws for people like this is just plain stupid IMO.

I think ideally this should be the case. Though there are enough spouses who commit rape to show that sex-only-in-monogamous-loving-relationships as a guarantee for rape prevention is false.

Pulling out is ignorant, yes. But a man who says he will ejaculate inside a woman who specifically tells him not to is committing assault if he follows through with his threat. This is very different from an "oopsie, semen!" moment if a man prematurely ejaculates inside a woman without any barrier contraceptives.

dust1n

Zindīq
I find humorous the presumption that 'ignorant' people are exempt from being protected by law. Or that we can call someone ignorant at all, seeing how we don't know them, don't actually know any details involving the circumstances or the case, and suspiciously seem to have attributes convenient for our own argument.

Oh well.

Alceste

Vagabond
I find humorous the presumption that 'ignorant' people are exempt from being protected by law. Or that we can call someone ignorant at all, seeing how we don't know them, don't actually know any details involving the circumstances or the case, and suspiciously seem to have attributes convenient for our own argument.

Oh well.

For the record, I have had sex with people I barely know, and still never had any I issues with consent or slow reaction times, with the exception of one guy who tried it on while was sleeping, and another who snuck into my room (again wile I was sleeping). Although that was some very scummy behavior, both those guys reacted immediately to a good shove and some... Well, let's call it communication.

The assumption that being promiscuous inevitably leads to being sexually assaulted is kind of irritating to me. Two of my friends who were aggressively raped were raped by their boyfriends, and neither were in the least bit promiscuous. My other rape survivor friend was sexually abused by her brother for years.

Whether or not someone is a stranger is not a factor that determines whether or not someone is a rapist.

In fact, I have found that, in general, the more experienced a lover is, the more responsive, responsible and considerate they are.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
For the record, I have had sex with people I barely know, and still never had any I issues with consent or slow reaction times, with the exception of one guy who tried it on while was sleeping, and another who snuck into my room (again wile I was sleeping). Although that was some very scummy behavior, both those guys reacted immediately to a good shove and some... Well, let's call it communication.

The assumption that being promiscuous inevitably leads to being sexually assaulted is kind of irritating to me. Two of my friends who were aggressively raped were raped by their boyfriends, and neither were in the least bit promiscuous. My other rape survivor friend was sexually abused by her brother for years.

Whether or not someone is a stranger is not a factor that determines whether or not someone is a rapist.

In fact, I have found that, in general, the more experienced a lover is, the more responsive, responsible and considerate they are.

The man that assaulted me was my boyfriend of several months. After we had known each other, slept together on many occasions, and were friends. I never reported him and was terrified of doing so, since it was a physical assault, too, that came out of nowhere. He was eventually arrested and charged with rape after he attacked another woman a few months later.

He was very experienced, too, but I agree that overall, in general, that practice does create certain habits. And if that practice is toward engaging with your partner to create something magical together, then that's the kind of partner I aim to be and wish to be in my bed with me.

Me Myself

Back to my username

The stranger needs not be loving and caring, just respect the extents of consent.

Using the pull out method with a stranger is more stupid than leaving your car open for a long time in a bad part of your city, but law would still be on your side when car is robbed and it should be.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I've always said if I have sex, I'd better like the fellow- after all, there is a chance of pregnancy and protection is never 100%. Even if you don't marry the guy, if you have the baby, you will have to deal with the person for at least 18 years or so.
And a woman can get pregnant even if the man doesn't ejaculate- the chances aren't as good but it can still happen. I've talked to a few girls who said this happened to them.

Alceste

Vagabond
The stranger needs not be loving and caring, just respect the extents of consent.

Using the pull out method with a stranger is more stupid than leaving your car open for a long time in a bad part of your city, but law would still be on your side when car is robbed and it should be.

What does the person being a stranger have to do with how stupid it is to use the pull-out method? The pull-out method is stupid full stop.

Me Myself

Back to my username
What does the person being a stranger have to do with how stupid it is to use the pull-out method? The pull-out method is stupid full stop.

Oh I agree it is risky in general, but if its a stranger s/he might get you a disease you didnt knokw s/he had, now a person you know in a monogamous relationship or only having sex with you, you can just use pill if the pulling out is not in time.

Also some people have better control than others(though of course that is bound to vary during one's life time, but still, a bit less random than with a stranger)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Also, if a "pulling out" method is agreed upon (stupid, yes, but still...) one is consenting to penetration but NOT to ejaculation. That's legit.

Curious George

Veteran Member
"Your Honor, I had consensual sex with this man for 10 minutes and 10 seconds of this time was painful, haul his butt to prison!".

Judge: "Young lady, did this man stop before copulating?"

"Why yes he did but I feel he took too long to stop, send this man to prison!?. :facepalm:

I think it might be worth pointing out that your continual reference to "prison" implies you are thinking about legal consequences and potential "gray areas" in assigning guilt.

Others, however, seem to be focused on general issues of consent and reaction to that consent.

Legally, Rape is a little tough to define since the definition can vary from state to state, province to province and country to country. In the U.S., were lack of "consent" or "withdrawal of consent" the only element- Then the rule of reason would apply. When you received the withdrawal of consent or reasonably should have received the withdrawal of consent- then you are required to stop immediately. That that immediacy is also subject to the rule of reason. Thus the question is did you stop within a reasonable time.

But what is reasonable, you might want to know... Well, look around. You would get a jury of twelve for a rape case. They would determine whether your response was reasonable. Thus, to some degree it is a case by case basis. You can put up the "throws of passion" defense- the other side can put up the "even a fraction of a second is too much" prosecution. But, ultimately it will be up to the jurors to decide whether you acted within reason.

Now, I am willing to wager that you would be hard-pressed to actually find a district attorney that would prosecute a case if you even took 5-10 seconds to wrap your mind around the fact that you were now harming your partner. Despite the fact that most would agree 5-10seconds is far too much time.

Now, while ideally I would suggest staying away from gender bias is a positive thing, rape is one of those instances where it is important to have both the gendered neutral and the gendered perspective at the forefront of the conversation.

The majority of men are fortunate and advantaged enough not to have to cope with the fear of being raped. While many males experience being raped (male-victim rape represents a highly unreported class of rape), society does not constantly subject men to the prospect of rape, physiologically men are more capable of rape, and post-pubescence men are statistically more capable of overpowering women.

So, sit back and imagine you have in the back of your mind a worry, or a fear that you could be raped. You are reminded of this every time you walk across that unlit parking area alone, every time you walk down the dark alley, hell, every time you find yourself around that creepy guy with no one else in earshot distance.

Next comes the hard part- accept that no matter how hard you can imagine you will likely (and hopefully) never be able to fully appreciate the female perspective on this subject. No amount of worry about getting beat up or killed can rightfully compare to facing the particular threat of these paired with being sexually violated as well.

(P.S. I am not saying that all women deal with this or live in fear, but were you to sit down and have honest dialogue I would imagine very few women would not have had at least a worry with regard to their physical-safety)

Now think about how you are saying the things that you are-

You have essentially acknowledged that your passionate sex could not guarantee your cognizance of your partner's sexual safety. Something which highly factors into many women's everyday lives.

I get that you are trying to clear up the area and draw lines. I understand that you are even bringing up factors which have been discussed in real court cases. But, when approaching rape from a legal perspective, clearly qualifying your discussion as such could instrumentally affect the receptivity toward your perspectives and questions.

Alceste

Vagabond
Oh I agree it is risky in general, but if its a stranger s/he might get you a disease you didnt knokw s/he had, now a person you know in a monogamous relationship or only having sex with you, you can just use pill if the pulling out is not in time.

Also some people have better control than others(though of course that is bound to vary during one's life time, but still, a bit less random than with a stranger)

Trust me, you know people with communicable diseases you are not aware of.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Trust me, you know people with communicable diseases you are not aware of.

Maybe, but it is still at least less risky than a total stranger. Thats all I am saying.

But sure, in general there is just no reasonable reason not to use a condom ror protection,

Alceste

Vagabond
Maybe, but it is still at least less risky than a total stranger. Thats all I am saying.

But sure, in general there is just no reasonable reason not to use a condom ror protection,

Why is it less risky to have unprotected sex with someone you know than with a total stranger? Unprotected sex is unprotected sex.

Edited to add: I was engaged to a man for four years, who I had known for seven years previously, who was banging both men and women the entire time I knew him - often without protection - and lying about it to everyone, including his closest friends. Me, I'm an unrepentant, very experienced ****, so we always used protection, thank my stars.

Last edited: