• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Christ says only though him one can reach Heaven, what does that mean precisely?

I understand the general concept associated with this quote is that only people who believe in Christ can reach Heaven. But what I don't understand is why the literal interpretation? Does one need to believe Christ is literally the son of God in order to reach Heaven, or does one simply need to believe in His teachings? For instance, my sister is agnostic, and so is my father. My mom has more spiritual leanings but is not 100% certain of certain things. But each of them are true to what Christ taught us about forgiveness, loving our neighbor, compassion, and not judging one another. I can't see them going to Hell for simply having doubts...but that's what I'm here asking everyone: why does everyone interpret Christ's words so literally and can you post any quotes that back-up that interpretation if at all possible? :) Thanks in advance!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I understand the general concept associated with this quote is that only people who believe in Christ can reach Heaven. But what I don't understand is why the literal interpretation? Does one need to believe Christ is literally the son of God in order to reach Heaven, or does one simply need to believe in His teachings? For instance, my sister is agnostic, and so is my father. My mom has more spiritual leanings but is not 100% certain of certain things. But each of them are true to what Christ taught us about forgiveness, loving our neighbor, compassion, and not judging one another. I can't see them going to Hell for simply having doubts...but that's what I'm here asking everyone: why does everyone interpret Christ's words so literally and can you post any quotes that back-up that interpretation if at all possible? :) Thanks in advance!
To me, Jesus Christ is the only means by which mankind is given the opportunity to be reconciled to God and forgiven of our sins. The difference between what my Church teaches and what mainstream Christianity teaches is this: We don't see the final curtain falling when a person takes his last breath. We believe that there is a period of time between death and the resurrection when "the glass we see through darkly" in this life will be made clear. We believe that before anyone stands before God to be judged, he will have had every opportunity to come to a knowledge, understanding, and appreciation for the gospel of Jesus Christ. If your parents have doubts now, that doesn't mean God is going to condemn them to an eternity of suffering. What kind of a God would do that?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not believe for a single minute that it is true.
What is true that before Jesus started teaching, we were unsure what to believe or how to live our lives.

We now have a certain example to follow, but it requires the grace of God to reach fruition.

I prefer to believe that Every one will will have the opportunity to end our lives in returning to God. That final path may well be easier for some than others.

The LDS have that path more clearly defined than most Christians.

Last edited:

Photonic

Ad astra!
Maybe it's literal? Maybe he was talking to some girl that went by and one of his disciples overheard...

Awoon

Jesus talked about the Kingdom of God.

Or making "heaven on Earth."

He explains in his prayer (which we call the Lord's prayer) how to trap the thoughts of God. However you will need an Aramamic teacher to explain. I suggest the book "Setting a Trap for God The Aramaic Prayer of Jesus," by Rocco Errico.

Judging means to be critical of another. You wanna be critical then dont get mad when you are criticised.

"hell" used by Jesus is an Aramaic idiom that means mental torment.

Villager

Jesus talked about the Kingdom of God.

Or making "heaven on Earth."
The rule of God in the personal life of each one grateful for salvation.

He explains in his prayer (which we call the Lord's prayer)
So called by pagans. This prayer is outdated. It was for people living before the crucifixion, not after it.

Judging means to be critical of another.
Someone read my post!

"hell" used by Jesus is an Aramaic idiom that means mental torment.
With wailing and gnashing of teeth, anyway.

Straw Dog

I don't think that he's quoted as saying "through me" but "those that believe in me". There seems to be a big difference here. Believing in someone implies that you endorse their way of living, their beliefs, and their teachings. I think Jesus originally meant for his followers to believe in his way of life in order to realize that the Kingdom of God was all around them and within them yet nobody saw it. As on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Last edited:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I don't know what he meant precisely. I don't even know if he actually said that.
All I know is someone wrote a book that claims that Yeshua said these things.

Villager

I understand the general concept associated with this quote is that only people who believe in Christ can reach Heaven. But what I don't understand is why the literal interpretation? Does one need to believe Christ is literally the son of God in order to reach Heaven, or does one simply need to believe in His teachings?
Neither. It's not about intellectual belief (though that's necessary). To be saved, a person surrenders control of his or her life, in every aspect, to Christ, and to no-one else, because no-one else is nearly good enough. This is in gratitude for the substitutionary death of Christ that saves from guilt and eternal punishment. So the old person must 'die' to allow the 'new creature' to live. There is no way round that, though there are thousands of attempts at escape routes to get round it.

'Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.'

Isaac Watts

heretic

Heretic Knight
I think the gospels should not be interpreted literally , there are many terms which ia more convenient to interpret them metaphorically, such as the son of God , I don't think it's intended to mean God is a bilogical father for jesus , but as a keeper and a friend .

here is the same case , through following jesus ,his teachings and life habits one reachs the heaven

Villager

I think the gospels should not be interpreted literally , there are many terms which ia more convenient to interpret them metaphorically, such as the son of God , I don't think it's intended to mean God is a bilogical father for jesus , but as a keeper and a friend .
'Son' means 'manifestation'.

pwfaith

I understand the general concept associated with this quote is that only people who believe in Christ can reach Heaven. But what I don't understand is why the literal interpretation? Does one need to believe Christ is literally the son of God in order to reach Heaven, or does one simply need to believe in His teachings?

To believe in Christ involves more than just agreeing that Jesus' words are true. Even the demons believe Christ is real and know his words are true "But one time when they tried it, the evil spirit replied, "I know Jesus, and I know Paul, but who are you?" (Acts 19:15 To believe in Christ means to trust in Christ alone for your salvation. It is deciding to place your [eternal] fate in the hands of Jesus, trusting him to be your Lord and his Word to be your command.

These are notes I saved from a Sunday Night service at our old church a few years ago:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]
Belief That Saves
John 3:14-18 NKJV​

"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so much the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should no perish but have eternal life."

BELIEF, BELIEVE, BELIEVERS

1. pisteuo (4100), "to believe," also "to be persuaded of," and hence, "to place confidence in, to trust," signifies, in this sense of the word, reliance upon, not mere credence. It is most frequent in teh writings of the apostle John, especially the Gospel.(1)

Then the Lord said to Moses, make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole, and it shall be that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it on a pole; and so it was, if a serpent had bitten anyone, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived. Numbers 21:8-9 NKJV

The meeting between Jesus and Nicodemus was more than an encounter between two religious figures. It was a collision between two philosophies. Two opposing views on salvation.

Nicodemus thought the person did the work; Jesus says God does the work. These two views encompass all views. All the world religions can be place in one of two camps: legalism of grace.

The legalist believes the supreme force behind salvation is you. If you look right, speak right, and belong to the right segment of the right group, you will be saved. The brunt of responsibility doesn't lie with God, it lies within you.

Spiritually, Jesus says, come not from church attendance or good deeds or correct doctrine, but from heaven itself. such words must have set Nicodemus back on his heels. But Jesus was just getting started.

Salvation is God's business. Grace is His idea, His work, and His expense. He offers it to whom He desires, when He desires. Our job in the process is to inform the people, not to screen the people.

The question must have been written all over Nicodemus' face. Why would God do this? What would motivate Him to offer such a gift? What Jesus told Nicodemus, Nicodemus could never have imagined. The motive behind the gift of new birth. LOVE. "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16 NKJV)

Nicodemus had never heard such words. Never. He has had many discussions of salvation. But this is the first in which no rules were given. No system was offered. No code or ritual. "Everyone who believes can have eternal life" Jesus told him. Could God be generous?(2)

Just as...the serpent in the wilderness​
A. "Bitten" by sin, we become conscious of our affliction
B. Death followed without remedy - we become conscious of our desperate need.
C. God made a way - He is conscious of the consequences and 'not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.' 2 Peter 3:9 NKJV
D. Look and Live - we become conscious of His grace.

(1) Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words 1985 Thomas Nelson, Inc., Publishers
(2)He Still Moves by Max Lucado 1993 Word Publishing

[/FONT]

Me Myself

Back to my username

Only with his level of understanding on the divine reality can you experience it.

That´s what he said to me when he says "only through me"

pwfaith

I don't think that he's quoted as saying "through me" but "those that believe in me".

Jesus speaking to the disciples:

In My Father's house there are many dwelling places (homes). If it were not so, I would have told you; for I am going away to prepare a place for you. And when I go and make ready a place for you, I will come back again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also. And [to the place] where I am going, you know the way.

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?"

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

Straw Dog

Jesus speaking to the disciples:
In My Father's house there are many dwelling places (homes). If it were not so, I would have told you; for I am going away to prepare a place for you. And when I go and make ready a place for you, I will come back again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also. And [to the place] where I am going, you know the way.

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?"

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

Oh, I was looking at a different verse.

"...and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die." -John 11: 26

Thanks for finding the verse he was referencing.

My view isn't just dependent upon any single verse, though, but rather a larger historical and comparative interpretation of the life and morals of Jesus. It's just a mythological story either way. I don't mean myth as in lie or falsehood, but rather a metaphorical message meant to convey universal spiritual truths. I realize you don't endorse this view and that's okay. We're all entitled to our own opinions at the end of the day. ;)

Last edited:

pwfaith

The emphasis should be on "I am"

A pity that all religions devolve into cult of personality.

Why should the emphasis be on "I am" and how does that change what the rest of the verse says. I understand the connections to the phrase "I am", however I don't think it changes what Jesus is saying in reference to Thomas's question.

no-body

Why should the emphasis be on "I am" and how does that change what the rest of the verse says. I understand the connections to the phrase "I am", however I don't think it changes what Jesus is saying in reference to Thomas's question.

To me Jesus is referring to the inner I AM that resides in everyone. It does not mean to literally worship him to reach the Father.