• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Christ says only though him one can reach Heaven, what does that mean precisely?

Averroes

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

1. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. (1 John 4: 16b)
2. Jesus is God. (John 10:30)
3. Therefore Jesus is love.
4. The way to God is through love.

Love is the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through love.

I see you have your own logic.

Muslims believe in Jesus yet according to Christian theology God won't accept them. Muslims believe in the God of the jews and according to Christian theology God will chastise them. Jews believe in the God of Abraham yet according to Christian theology God won't accept them. Yeah a real lovable god

lunamoth

Will to love
Whose logic would I have? :confused:

Muslims believe in Jesus yet according to Christian theology God won't accept them. Muslims believe in the God of the jews and according to Christian theology God will chastise them. Jews believe in the God of Abraham yet according to Christian theology God won't accept them. Yeah a real lovable god

You list three generalized notions created and held by some Christians and then pin this on God? That does not make sense, analytical thinker.

Averroes

Whose logic would I have? :confused:

You list three generalized notions created and held by some Christians and then pin this on God? That does not make sense, analytical thinker.

The statement is sarcasm ACTUALLY but if you want me to break it down.

Mainstream Christianity, that is Christianity that all of us that we are most familiar with, like Catholocism for instance holds the belief that Jesus is the only way.

In Islam there is no mediator between man and God. In Christianity there is via Jesus and as you have quoted from the Bible Jesus is "the way." What is also interesting is that according to Christian theology if people reject this particular theology they will go to hell. That means Jews, Hindus, Bahai, Buddhist, Muslims, Wiccans, etcetera all will go to hell because they either reject Jesus' godly divinity or reject (or don't believe in) Jesus altogether.

lunamoth

Will to love
Mainstream Christianity, that is Christianity that all of us that we are most familiar with, like Catholocism for instance holds the belief that Jesus is the only way.
Mainstream Christianity, including Catholicism, does not teach that people in other religions or non-believers go to hell or that 'God won't accept them.' The only flavors of Christianity I know of that teach that are conservative fundamentalist denominations with a strong Calvinist bent.

In Islam there is no mediator between man and God. In Christianity there is via Jesus and as you have quoted from the Bible Jesus is "the way." What is also interesting is that according to Christian theology if people reject this particular theology they will go to hell. That means Jews, Hindus, Bahai, Buddhist, Muslims, Wiccans, etcetera all will go to hell because they either reject Jesus' godly divinity or reject (or don't believe in) Jesus altogether.
Wrong.

Averroes

Mainstream Christianity, including Catholicism, does not teach that people in other religions or non-believers go to hell or that 'God won't accept them.' The only flavors of Christianity I know of that teach that are conservative fundamentalist denominations with a strong Calvinist bent.

Wrong.

Wow well since I spoke on Catholics, its best a Catholic explain this particular part of their faith

lunamoth

Will to love
According to that link and from what I read non-Catholics cannot be saved.

If you read the whole link you will see that since Vatican II the RCC has softened it's teachings about non-Catholics etc. Going to hell. Trying to reconcile this with previous teachings leaves the current doctrine a bit vague, but it far from says that non-Catholics go to hell. In fact , it seems to go out of it's way to say that Muslims and Jews in particular are beloved by God and open to salvation.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The jews that crucified Jesus were very clearly rejecting him, yet "Forgive them Father, because they don´t know what they are doing".

The way I read it, Jesus won´t shut you out of heaven even if you rejected him.

Forgiveness is not equivalent to going to Heaven. It is necessary for God to forgive and He does. However God will always decide what is best for a person. So it isn't a matter of being shut out but rather a matter of whether a person really needs to go to Heaven.

A rejection of Jesus usually engenders a rejection of His message of how to get to Heaven so such people have no way to get there unless God does it by grace despite the person's ignorance. On the other hand how motivated will God be to have people in Heaven who reject Him.

Muffled

Jesus in me

However it is not correct logic.

God is love is not equivalent to love is God. In his deduction he makes that error.

That is erroneous Christian theology not actually God speaking.

According to scripture we love God because He first loved us. His love for us makes Him loveable.