• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Christ says only though him one can reach Heaven, what does that mean precisely?

no-body

Why bother at all? :confused:

Because I believe one can learn a great deal from studying the worlds religions. Not only from a theological stand point but literary and cultural. To me Jesus is a Bodhisattva, I find that interesting. But your right in terms of scope you don't really need to bother with anything at all, it is all a game simply to be enjoyed for itself.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I understand the general concept associated with this quote is that only people who believe in Christ can reach Heaven. But what I don't understand is why the literal interpretation? Does one need to believe Christ is literally the son of God in order to reach Heaven, or does one simply need to believe in His teachings? For instance, my sister is agnostic, and so is my father. My mom has more spiritual leanings but is not 100% certain of certain things. But each of them are true to what Christ taught us about forgiveness, loving our neighbor, compassion, and not judging one another. I can't see them going to Hell for simply having doubts...but that's what I'm here asking everyone: why does everyone interpret Christ's words so literally and can you post any quotes that back-up that interpretation if at all possible? :) Thanks in advance!

It can be taken literally because Jesus is the mediator between God and man.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If YOU men had known me, YOU would have known my Father also; from this moment on YOU know him and have seen him.”

1Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—[this is] what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times. 7 For the purpose of this witness I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—a teacher of nations in the matter of faith and truth.

Jesus is the only way to approach the Father because Jesus is the Messiah, the one God chose to be the mediator.
If the queen sent a representative to you country to make an agreement with your president and herself, who must the president have a meeting with to make the agreement? The person sent by the Queen, or some other person?

Jesus teachings show what God requires of us to be approved by him. It is up to us to heed Jesus words and teachings and to put them into practice. That includes the teachings of Jesus apostles because Jesus gave them authority to teach on his behalf. So we must really know what the NT teaches and we must apply it....that is the only way to gain Gods approval.

Me Myself

Back to my username
They are one and the same. Moses met "God" the inner I am.

All pointing towards the same thing "the kingdom of heaven is amidst you" which is why it is all preceded by "I AM" all those things are available if you tap into Christ consciousness.

We are exactly on the same page aparently. :)

BruceDLimber

The statement is broader than is generally realized because God has sent numerous Divine Messengers over the Ages, each of which is this same "way to Heaven!"

Each, however, is the one for a given Age, and Christ was indeed the one for that Age; His statement was thus in fact correct for that time.

There are in fact many paths all leading to the same truth, for truth is one!

Peace, :)

Bruce

BruceDLimber

Bruce=God has sent numerous Divine Messengers over the Ages.[/quote said:

Evidence?

It's contained in many different scriptures, including the Tanach, the Bible, the Qur'an, and the Baha'i scriptures, to name several.

There is also the lives of the Divine Messengers Themselves and Their teachings, which can be found in various religions.

Prophecies fulfilled can also confirm this sort of thing.

And certain scriptures explicitly name Messengers of earlier eras.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Villager

It's contained in many different scriptures

What colossal absurdity, if not mendacity! So-called 'scriptures' contradict each other, as is well known. One man's divine 'Scripture' is a another man's poisonous, worldly scribbling, as history has made very clear.
There is no evidence whatever for this notion.

It may be that true Scripture is corrupted by mixing with the words of the devil, of course. That would give a form of religion, but denying the power of the deity, would it not. So people would go to hell in a comfortable haze of disinformation, and evil people could get on with their evils untrammeled by the inconveniences of true faith.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I understand the general concept associated with this quote is that only people who believe in Christ can reach Heaven. But what I don't understand is why the literal interpretation? Does one need to believe Christ is literally the son of God in order to reach Heaven, or does one simply need to believe in His teachings? For instance, my sister is agnostic, and so is my father. My mom has more spiritual leanings but is not 100% certain of certain things. But each of them are true to what Christ taught us about forgiveness, loving our neighbor, compassion, and not judging one another. I can't see them going to Hell for simply having doubts...but that's what I'm here asking everyone: why does everyone interpret Christ's words so literally and can you post any quotes that back-up that interpretation if at all possible? :) Thanks in advance!

I find no such verse. Perhaps you could be more specfic in your refeence.

javajo

I understand the general concept associated with this quote is that only people who believe in Christ can reach Heaven. Does one need to believe Christ is literally the son of God in order to reach Heaven, or does one simply need to believe in His teachings?
I believe Christ paid the penalty of our sins (death) and all who simply trust him, that he did that, are freely saved, having all their sins paid for and Christ's righteousness given to them, making them completely acceptable to God. I believe there is no other way than to trust alone in Christ alone.

Madtown

I believe Christ paid the penalty of our sins (death) and all who simply trust him, that he did that, are freely saved, having all their sins paid for and Christ's righteousness given to them, making them completely acceptable to God. I believe there is no other way than to trust alone in Christ alone.

What about children of God that happened to be born into this world in a place where they never have the opportunity to learn about Christ? Living beings, created by God, who through no fault of their own will never even have the chance to "trust" Christ. Think primitive tribal people, or the like.

javajo

What about children of God that happened to be born into this world in a place where they never have the opportunity to learn about Christ? Living beings, created by God, who through no fault of their own will never even have the chance to "trust" Christ. Think primitive tribal people, or the like.
They won't be judged for rejecting someone they never heard of. I believe that while all men do not have the light of Christ, they do have the light of conscience and creation, thus they know when they do wrong and can call on God for forgiveness. God is good, just and fair, all who call upon him may be saved. However, many people worship idols, demons, and do not seek forgiveness of sins but rather love their sins and false gods and will be judged accordingly. If you are worried about them, go or give to missions.

javajo

Hmm, I don't know, these statements seem to be at odds with each other.
No. The Op is asking what Christ meant that only through him one can reach Heaven. For those who have heard the Gospe,l we simply trust Christ. Christ is God. So anyone can call on God and be saved, even those who have not heard of Christ. Jesus made this clear when he said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24. Acts 10:35 teaches this as well: Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. (note the next passage the Gospel is preached to Cornelius).

Madtown

No. The Op is asking what Christ meant that only through him one can reach Heaven. For those who have heard the Gospe,l we simply trust Christ. Christ is God. So anyone can call on God and be saved, even those who have not heard of Christ. Jesus made this clear when he said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24. Acts 10:35 teaches this as well: Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. (note the next passage the Gospel is preached to Cornelius).

So, someone can "call on God", and reach Heaven? If someone has not heard of Christ, we can assume they're not a christian. As such, if they call on God, they are calling on their version of God, or God as they understand him to be, and this version of God is likely different than yours, you being a christian. So, wouldn't this person then be chastised for worship of a false God, and not be on the path to Heaven that you describe?