• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When does theory become fact?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You are seriously lacking in education about science. And you are unwilling to learn what science is about, which make you sound totally ignorant.

Proof has nothing to do with scientific facts. Proofs are mathematical statements, like equations or attempting to find mathematical solutions. And this is what you are ignorantly ignoring. You are not intelligent at all, if you can't understand something so simple.

Facts have to do with empirical evidences and with repeatable testings, to verify if the explanation and prediction (theory or hypothesis) are correcct. And most science rely on empiricism and the scientific method as mean of finding and understanding facts.

It is only in theoretical science, like superstring theory, that use proof. The theories on evolution, gravity, electromagnetism, optics relied on evidences, hence facts.

In a nation wide comparison test....the gov wanted to know which schools do it better.....
I was ranked superior.

My education continued and got better.
I really do like science......a lot.

You're just clutching on what you got.
and I don't care.

gnostic

The Lost One
In a nation wide comparison test....the gov wanted to know which schools do it better.....
I was ranked superior.

My education continued and got better.
I really do like science......a lot.

You're just clutching on what you got.
and I don't care.
Really?

Then it is downright shockingly poor education, because thread after thread, post after post that I have read when you take part of science-related debates, you have not demonstrate an ounce of understanding science.

It terribly embarrassing to read your ignorant posts.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Really?

Then it is downright shockingly poor education, because thread after thread, post after post that I have read when you take part of science-related debates, you have not demonstrate an ounce of understanding science.

It terribly embarrassing to read your ignorant posts.

So debate with someone else.
I won't change my mind just cause you don't approve.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Prove it to yourself
I can't. I can't prove I'm not dreaming. Descartes' starting point still applies today, as the fall of positivism attests to.

continue until you find a really high ledge....a sure kill....
jump...

How would this show that gravity exists rather than the curvature of spacetime? Gravity can't explain the dynamics of planets, stars, comets, etc. General relativity can, but it does so without reference to (or the need of) gravity. Can you reproduce the successes of general relativity with respect to the movement and dynamics of celestial bodies using whatever conception you have of gravity?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I can't. I can't prove I'm not dreaming. Descartes' starting point still applies today, as the fall of positivism attests to.

How would this show that gravity exists rather than the curvature of spacetime? Gravity can't explain the dynamics of planets, stars, comets, etc. General relativity can, but it does so without reference to (or the need of) gravity. Can you reproduce the successes of general relativity with respect to the movement and dynamics of celestial bodies using whatever conception you have of gravity?

Well if you can't separate your reality from your dreams.....

(try using the speed of light as the constant)

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well if you can't separate your reality from your dreams.....
I didn't say I can't. I said I can't prove it. I believe that I am awake right now typing this post, but I cannot prove it. If you were to ask me "how do you know you aren't dreaming all this?" I can reply with all sorts of answers and reasons for my belief, but I cannot prove it the way I can prove that 2 + 2 = 4 or that the conditional "if the moon is made of green cheese, then wishes are horses" is true.

I ask again, can your conception of gravity reproduce the successes of general relativity?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I didn't say I can't. I said I can't prove it. I believe that I am awake right now typing this post, but I cannot prove it. If you were to ask me "how do you know you aren't dreaming all this?" I can reply with all sorts of answers and reasons for my belief, but I cannot prove it the way I can prove that 2 + 2 = 4 or that the conditional "if the moon is made of green cheese, then wishes are horses" is true.

I ask again, can your conception of gravity reproduce the successes of general relativity?

You keep asking the wrong question.
No need to prove gravity....it's a fact.
Don't believe it?....take that leap.

oh!...that's right...you can't prove your dreams different from your waking reality.

(actually, you can)

gnostic

The Lost One
You keep asking the wrong question.
Don't believe it?....take that leap.

oh!...that's right...you can't prove your dreams different from your waking reality.

Typical, evasive tactics.

When will you ever give direct answer to question, instead of hedging?

If you don't bl##dy know, then just say so. Just be honest for goodness' sake.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually that response was quite direct, so long as you take it in context with another. By itself, this would be evasive:

However, we have already been told what is required for something to be fact:
Good ideas need proving to become fact.

The evasive answer isn't evasive it's just blatant self-contradiction.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

When will you ever give direct answer to question, instead of hedging?

If you don't bl##dy know, then just say so. Just be honest for goodness' sake.

I know gravity is real.....that's a fact.
I don't have to prove it.....that's a fact.

Take that leap and count your facts on the way down.
(I hear a two count fall is enough to kill....not a fact)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Which is it?

Exactly the point of this thread!
Which is it?!

On the one hand some things need no proving......you can be sure.
(Like stepping off a two count dead fall......but then some people survive)

Gravity was there whether you can prove it or not.
You fell.
If you survive the fall.....are you going to say....gravity is a false idea?