• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will science discover the whole universe ?

chinu

chinu
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."
Alvin Toffler
loll.. the discussion is about overcoming the universe, rather than illiteracy.

I rephrase it once again..
If we already know that we can never overcome the whole universe, than why we are trying ? that's my question.
If we already know that we can never overcome the full illiteracy, than why we are trying ? that's NOT my question.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Brother, please don't say like this.

From my perspective, that you dislike it despite it being my honest understanding of what happened is exactly why it is best that I do say it.

Would you rather have me think so in silence? That is an option, certainly, but is it a constructive, desirable one?

May be there some communication gaps between us, but I really respect you, luis.

I appreciate the good intent, Chinu. But frankly, I must bear doubts on this matter. You have consistently shown either a difficulty or a resistance to understanding my statements and my beliefs. I very much doubt you understand me, mainly because you keep showing me evidence me that you do not.

That does not rule out that you may respect me for your understanding of who I am.

But personally I would prefer that you had less respect in exchange for a better understanding.

It is rather unconfortable to be continually mistaken for someone that I do not even resemble: that amounts to be denied both deserved criticism and deserved acknowledgement. To be rejected in favor of a fictional character that someone wants to believe to be me.

chinu

chinu
From my perspective, that you dislike it despite it being my honest understanding of what happened is exactly why it is best that I do say it.
Would you rather have me think so in silence? That is an option, certainly, but is it a constructive, desirable one?
I appreciate the good intent, Chinu. But frankly, I must bear doubts on this matter. You have consistently shown either a difficulty or a resistance to understanding my statements and my beliefs. I very much doubt you understand me, mainly because you keep showing me evidence me that you do not.
That does not rule out that you may respect me for your understanding of who I am.
But personally I would prefer that you had less respect in exchange for a better understanding.
It is rather unconfortable to be continually mistaken for someone that I do not even resemble: that amounts to be denied both deserved criticism and deserved acknowledgement. To be rejected in favor of a fictional character that someone wants to believe to be me.
Ok, Luis.
If you think so, than I think I need to reverse the Topic once again.

You said>>> That such questioning is meaningless at least until you attempt to clarify what this "whole universe" would be, and how do you know that it may conceivably be "discovered" <<<

If I would have asked you.. Why such questioning is meaningless until I clarify what this "whole universe" is, and how can it conceivably be "discovered" ?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If I would have asked you.. Why such questioning is meaningless until I clarify what this "whole universe" is, and how can it conceivably be "discovered" ?

Because people's perceptions and natural assumptions vary quite a lot.

Discovery, particularly, is a word that I find a bit too vague here. In the most natural sense of the phrase, we have discovered the whole universe. We are certainly aware of its existence in a meaningful way.

What is it that you are asking about, then? How could a person tell that discovery of the whole universe has been attained, if and when if did happen? How can one tell that it did not happen yet?

chinu

chinu
Because people's perceptions and natural assumptions vary quite a lot.

Discovery, particularly, is a word that I find a bit too vague here. In the most natural sense of the phrase, we have discovered the whole universe. We are certainly aware of its existence in a meaningful way.

What is it that you are asking about, then? How could a person tell that discovery of the whole universe has been attained, if and when if did happen? How can one tell that it did not happen yet?
Luis,
The people who are discovering new things in the universe on a every new day, they agree that there they have discovered just a little, But you say that in some sense of phrase we HAVE discovered it!

To be very clear about this topic I would like to inform you that this topic is not about the discovery of existence of universe, its about discovering the whole.

loll.. even the first man on this earth would also have discovered the existence of universe, didn't he ?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
(...)

To be very clear about this topic I would like to inform you that this topic is not about the discovery of existence of universe, its about discovering the whole.

loll.. even the first man on this earth would also have discovered the existence of universe, didn't he ?

Indeed. On the other hand, it is quite some hubris to assume that anyone can ever understand the whole. For all we know, the universe may be growing faster than it can be discovered.

It is all just so speculative.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It means its an childish act to deny the possibility of God existence until science discover the whole universe, is it ?

Interesting.
Are you so desperate for god that you feel the need to find gaps to stuff him into?

shawn001

loll.. the discussion is about overcoming the universe, rather than illiteracy.

I rephrase it once again..
If we already know that we can never overcome the whole universe, than why we are trying ? that's my question.
If we already know that we can never overcome the full illiteracy, than why we are trying ? that's NOT my question.

The quote went way over your head.

The fact you even asked and phrased the question the way you did points to, its all way over your head.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I thought of an analogy many years ago about "finding God".

Imagine a house with an infinite number of rooms. Someone tells you that there's a chest of abundant treasures somewhere in this house. You start searching, going from room to room, looking, wondering, doubting. Someone else tells you that you only need to go yet another room to find this treasure chest. You go there but can't find it.

The question is, do you have to search the whole house (which is impossible since it's infinite) to be confident enough to say there's probably no chest? Is it evidence for it not existing? Probably you can assume with some certainty that this amazing chest might not exist, or you might not ever find it if it exists.

But a solution to this is that the chest isn't a chest at all. The house is the treasure chest, and you and the people inside are the treasure. You don't have to search to find it. You already have it.

chinu

chinu
Indeed. On the other hand, it is quite some hubris to assume that anyone can ever understand the whole. For all we know, the universe may be growing faster than it can be discovered.
It is all just so speculative.
Now, if this debate was to end in this way,
Luis, that's why I responded.. So its impossible

And an END :shrug:

shawn001

Chinu, I will ask you this yet again.

The initial question just cracks me up though.

So does God love really cold places or really hot ones or on some planet or live on a star and how would said God physically react with the universe, with energy, or matter or mass, explain what physical properties you would look for in said God in the physical universe?

Please post a coherent answer to the actual question as we have to yours, oh wise one.

MysticPhD

Imagine a house with an infinite number of rooms. Someone tells you that there's a chest of abundant treasures somewhere in this house. You start searching, going from room to room, looking, wondering, doubting. Someone else tells you that you only need to go yet another room to find this treasure chest. You go there but can't find it.

The question is, do you have to search the whole house (which is impossible since it's infinite) to be confident enough to say there's probably no chest? Is it evidence for it not existing? Probably you can assume with some certainty that this amazing chest might not exist, or you might not ever find it if it exists.

But a solution to this is that the chest isn't a chest at all. The house is the treasure chest, and you and the people inside are the treasure. You don't have to search to find it. You already have it.
I resonate with this. Well said.:yes:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

:yes::yes::yes:

gnostic

The Lost One
chinu said:
If we already know that there will always be something to learn about the universe, than what for we are learning ?

Like I said before, we are only scratching the surface of what are out there, outside of our solar system.

I don't know why you would think that we shouldn't learn more about the universe.

The questions are why you would think science should limit the discovery? Do you fear to learn more? Is your religion the controlling factor to your fear? Why?