• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will we acknowledge sexism and violence against men is just as real?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You claimed these things come about because of a patriarchy, although this is false as many societies have been matriarchal.
The oil industry, from whaling to mineral, occurred in societies which were definitely not matriarchal. The boom really began in western PA & NY in the 1800s. More info can be found in the book, "The Prize", by D Yergin.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
The oil industry, from whaling to mineral, occurred in societies which were definitely not matriarchal. The boom really began in western PA & NY in the 1800s. More info can be found in the book, "The Prize", by D Yergin.
Like we have to explain that to anyone.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
edit : just so there is no misunderstanding of my position here - male violence against women is a way more serious problem than female violence against men, both because it is more common and generally much more severe. Rape is almost exclusively an act carried out by men against women.
This is not so true.
Rape by gender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Male rape statistics are also going to be low because they're loath to report it.
It remains true that corporate power still remains largely in the hands of men. Sexism against women was a much greater problem in the west when I was young, and is still at intolerable (to me) levels in many countries. Those important points notwithstanding, there is now an established western cultural fact of treating feminism as a sacred cow, and the fact of female sexism and violence toward men, which most certainly does exist, is a subject that the politically correct simply don't want to touch. The fact that virtually no-one is posting acknowledgement of this, on a forum characterised by thoughtfulness in general, underscores this point. There is a fear of being tarred with the same brush as male chauvinists from the religious right-wing, or just low-intelligence and/or uncultured males (or maybe Charlie Sheen ! we thought he was joking at first ...), which totally stifles honest dialogue IMO.
Aye, it matters little that I fit the strict definition of a feminist (& I'm even more pro-body autonomy than most of'm), they still call me a "rape apologist" & "mysogynist" when I question feminist dogma. And I notice that women don't endure such abusive labels when they question it. There's a whole lotta sexism (misandry) in the movement. Of course, many feminists are better than this, so this broad brush applies only to those fringe types.

Edit: I just realized how old that post I responded to is!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I point you to this lovely gem of journalism where the author devotes the entire article to making fun of the male victim for having his scrotum ripped off.

Angry ex-girlfriend goes ballistic, rips off man

There was also a recent incident where the women on the View showed a callous disregard for a different man who had his penis cut off by an angry spouse.

We are not talking about comedy halls where anything goes. We are talking about mainstream media and television outlets making fun of men who are victimized by women.

Males are more likely to successfully commit suicide after a divorce; they have virtually no reproductive recourse, further stunted by family courts that consider a penis a disadvantage; they are far less likely to attain a high school diploma, bachelor's degree, and now attend non-STEM graduate programs; among 22-30 years men make 8% less than women; as boys they're far more likely to be disciplined and misdiagnosed; as men they serve longer sentences for the same crime, yet 40% of domestic violence victims are men where the perpetrator was a women. We laugh when a woman on television slaps a man, but if a woman is even portrayed in bad light, organizations like NOW yell until it's repealed. When will society wake up that systematic sexism is not limited to one side of the equation?

There's been a lot of questions raised about why men are dropping out of society and not committing to marriage. I think the answer is clear. There's really no place for the average man nowadays.

It's getting better in the UK........... slowly........
Your post shows why Egalitarianism makes much more sense than feminism. We need a better gender balance over such issues as you have raised, plus many more issues as well.

But UK legislation is helping to smash such bigoted sexism as you have described. I don't know about other countries..............

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Yes, but they didn't give us homes or other essential things. The most accurate thing would be that our earliest parts of civilization started in societies that were generally far more egalitarian than what is found today.
So the men stopped at hom e and the women went out and planted the fields and fought the wars did they,.. haha. Get a grip! :p
Actually, there have been many fierce, and feared, warrior women throughout history. Spartan women had many extra things to do because the men were pretty much always gone. The Apache had a band of warrior women who time and time caused the English and other Europeans to be embarrassed because they were utterly defeated by these women. Joan of Arc also comes to mind, as does Grace O'Malley, Lozan, Nakano Takeko, Tomoe Gozen, Artemisia, and many others. And in some places farming was considered something that women done, and plenty of women have hunted.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I know violence is really really bad, and it sucks too, but is sexism bad? Could someone please explain to me if it is or if it isn't? I mean against both (all) genders.

Jumi

It's bad that some people want to rob either women or men of their potential because they think there's something that should not be done by either.

Newsflash: there are plenty of strong capable women. I personally think people who are mentally weak want to hold either sex down. They think there's something special just about being born, unless you are born a genius you mostly have to work for it if you want recognition for something.

Robert.Evans

Yes, but they didn't give us homes or other essential things. The most accurate thing would be that our earliest parts of civilization started in societies that were generally far more egalitarian than what is found today.

Actually, there have been many fierce, and feared, warrior women throughout history. Spartan women had many extra things to do because the men were pretty much always gone. The Apache had a band of warrior women who time and time caused the English and other Europeans to be embarrassed because they were utterly defeated by these women. Joan of Arc also comes to mind, as does Grace O'Malley, Lozan, Nakano Takeko, Tomoe Gozen, Artemisia, and many others. And in some places farming was considered something that women done, and plenty of women have hunted.
Well shame on them I say, that they fall so low as to do what men have done. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I addressed only the specific claim about oil. As for the earliest civilizations, I don't know.....I'm not that old! But were they egalitarian, then that would be great.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Well shame on them I say, that they fall so low as to do what men have done. ;)
So it's low and shameful for a woman to become a skillful fighter? It's shameful that a woman created the school of Wing Chun, but not shameful that Bruce Lee became one of it's most well known students?

Robert.Evans

So it's low and shameful for a woman to become a skillful fighter? It's shameful that a woman created the school of Wing Chun, but not shameful that Bruce Lee became one of it's most well known students?
I think you only read half of my reply.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

I agree with you. Just like any good fighter, boxer, martial arts practitioner, and sharpshooter knows, the goal is to achieve conflict resolution without throwing a single punch.

It's only when one sees your opponent committed to you as the target to be harmed or killed when you are trained to defend yourself with a hit, kick, sweep, or shot. Still do the minimum in harm.

I think being a trained ethical warrior to defend oneself and especially to defend a tribe/family is an honorable endeavor.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wing Chun's origins are legend & story from days of yore. Bruce Lee was real....nay, more than real....he was a force of nature who revolutionized movies & culture during our lifetime. To describe him as <yawn> having been a student of a style is as ludicrous as describing Muhamnad Ali as a boxing enthusiast.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know violence is really really bad, and it sucks too, but is sexism bad? Could someone please explain to me if it is or if it isn't? I mean against both (all) genders.
Sexism results in some nasty consequences:
- People are prevented/discouraged from taking on non-traditional roles.
- People can suffer self image problems.
- Wage disparity.
- Limited clothing opotions.
- ________________________ (your idea here)