• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will we acknowledge sexism and violence against men is just as real?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think you only read half of my reply.
No, I read all off it. You stated patriarchy is needed for things it's not (and somethings that, really, we'd be better off without), you mocked the idea of women who farm and fight, and now you are just claiming I didn't read your post.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is, but oral tradition still holds that a female monk, as the story goes, observed the struggles between a snake and crane, which became the basis of Wing Chun.
Nonetheless, an historical myth of interest only to martial arts historians should not be expected to be as significant today as Bruce Lee's place in modern culture around the world, & in martial arts. His own style left Wing Chun in the dustbin of obsolete artifacts.
Are we seeing a feminist attempt to minimize his accomplishments in favor a woman who likely never even existed? Oh, how utterly lame & sexist that would be! Add to this the irony of anti-male sexism in this very thread.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I agree with you. Just like any good fighter, boxer, martial arts practitioner, and sharpshooter knows, the goal is to achieve conflict resolution without throwing a single punch.

It's only when one sees your opponent committed to you as the target to be harmed or killed when you are trained to defend yourself with a hit, kick, sweep, or shot. Still do the minimum in harm.

I think being a trained ethical warrior to defend oneself and especially to defend a tribe/family is an honorable endeavor.
It's also a good reason for a male to attack harder just in case the woman is going to defend herself. Just saying. ;)
He (or she) who lives by the sword, dies by the sword. That's all. There are other ways of doiing it, rather than just wanting an excuse to attack men, which I think might be the reason :p

Robert.Evans

Wing Chun's origins are legend & story from days of yore. Bruce Lee was real....nay, more than real....he was a force of nature who revolutionized movies & culture during our lifetime. To describe him as <yawn> having been a student of a style is as ludicrous as describing Muhamnad Ali as a boxing enthusiast.
lol! Yeah, just some guy who did a bit of boxing or summit :p

Robert.Evans

Sexism results in some nasty consequences:
- People are prevented/discouraged from taking on non-traditional roles.
- People can suffer self image problems.
- Wage disparity.
- Limited clothing opotions.
- ________________________ (your idea here)
They can't open up martial arts schools :p

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It's also a good reason for a male to attack harder just in case the woman is going to defend herself. Just saying. ;)
He (or she) who lives by the sword, dies by the sword. That's all. There are other ways of doiing it, rather than just wanting an excuse to attack men, which I think might be the reason :p

Is this also true for men who want to defend themselves?

In a thread about violence against men being underrepresented, I would like your thoughts about men learning self-defence. Men who wish to defend themselves...are they inviting more violence against them by doing so?

I support men who learn and employ self defense measures. What's your stance?

Robert.Evans

No, I read all off it. You stated patriarchy is needed for things it's not (and somethings that, really, we'd be better off without), you mocked the idea of women who farm and fight, and now you are just claiming I didn't read your post.
Well read it and understand it next time.
I said that women copying men meant they fell as low as men had done. Your answer to that was that women could not do those things then.
How does that make sense?
If you do them I am saying you end up like men. That is not a compliment. If you want to do them, go ahead, open up your matial arts school, sail the oceans, fat lot of good it will do ya . :p

Robert.Evans

Nonetheless, an historical myth of interest only to martial arts historians should not be expected to be as significant today as Bruce Lee's place in modern culture around the world, & in martial arts. His own style left Wing Chun in the dustbin of obsolete artifacts.
Are we seeing a feminist attempt to minimize his accomplishments in favor a woman who likely never even existed? Oh, how utterly lame & sexist that would be! Add to this the irony of anti-male sexism in this very thread.
So she might not have existed? really?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If you do them I am saying you end up like men. That is not a compliment.

I'll go ahead and say it...

I find this to be a sexist and anti-male statement. In a thread looking to elevate the importance of the stats of violence and sexism against men, this is stated.

Robert.Evans

Is this also true for men who want to defend themselves?

In a thread about violence against men being underrepresented, I would like your thoughts about men learning self-defence. Men who wish to defend themselves...are they inviting more violence against them by doing so?

I support men who learn and employ self defense measures. What's your stance?
Don't fight.
I think you might find some males are not that happy with being beaten up by a girl. You might want to consider that lest they really take offence. As for learning self defence, why should we? Try living somewhere else. Try talking your way out of trouble. It is called social skills and inter-personal skills. It amazes me that I have to say these things to a woman. Shouldn't it be the other way round? ;)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Don't fight.
I think you might find some males are not that happy with being beaten up by a girl.

Nobody is happy with being beat up by anybody. What is your point?

You might want to consider that lest they really take offence. As for learning self defence, why should we? Try living somewhere else. Try talking your way out of trouble. It is called social skills and inter-personal skills. It amazes me that I have to say these things to a woman. Shouldn't it be the other way round? ;)

Do you give this advice to other men? Answer the question.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So she might not have existed? really?
Wing Chun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The common legend as told by Yip Man[7] involves the young woman Yim Wing-chun during the period after the destruction by the Qing government of the Southern Shaolin and its associated temples.
It is believed[by whom?] that because the system was developed during the Shaolin and Ming resistance to the Qing Dynasty, many legends, including the story of Yim Wing-Chun, were spread regarding the creation of Wing Chun in order to confuse enemies. This is often given as a reason to explain the difficulty in accurately determining the creator or creators of Wing Chun.[8]

Robert.Evans

I'll go ahead and say it...

I find this to be a sexist and anti-male statement. In a thread looking to elevate the importance of the stats of violence and sexism against men, this is stated.
I was merely saying that if you fight you will become like the person that fights. Why do you not understand that? To twist into the ''S'' word seems ridiculous and bordering on manipulation.
And why is it we cannot say anything bad about women or men? What are we supposed to speak of then? Men largely (in our time especially) are the ones who go to war. Do you really want to end up like that? Or should you be trying to calm them down and make us more peaceable?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't fight.
I think you might find some males are not that happy with being beaten up by a girl. You might want to consider that lest they really take offence. As for learning self defence, why should we? Try living somewhere else. Try talking your way out of trouble. It is called social skills and inter-personal skills. It amazes me that I have to say these things to a woman. Shouldn't it be the other way round? ;)
Violent conflicts are all different. Sometimes you fight....other times you talk. I've done both. Both options are necessary.
Paraphrasing Louis Pasteur, chance favors the prepared mind.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I was merely saying that if you fight you will become like the person that fights. Why do you not understand that? To twist into the ''S'' word seems ridiculous and bordering on manipulation.
And why is it we cannot say anything bad about women or men? What are we supposed to speak of then? Men largely (in our time especially) are the ones who go to war. Do you really want to end up like that? Or should you be trying to calm them down and make us more peaceable?

Hang on, this is a discussion about men who are victimized from domestic violence and who don't get a voice in the public eye.

How is your perspective here helping male victims of sexism and violence?

Robert.Evans

Violent conflicts are all different. Sometimes you fight....other times you talk. I've done both. Both options are necessary.
Paraphrasing Louis Pasteur, chance favors the prepared mind.
Defence is one thing, but not attack, that is another.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Open your eyes and I think you will see that I answered both parts. ;)

You have a habit of evading direct questions. Though you also have a habit of confronting other people to clarify their perspectives. Feel free to prove me wrong here.

Do you give this advice to men too? Yes or no, please.

Robert.Evans

Hang on, this is a discussion about men who are victimized from domestic violence and who don't get a voice in the public eye.

How is your perspective here helping male victims of sexism and violence?
I answered what was put before me I think.