• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Cain obtain his food and wife?

When Cain was banished, and the food from the ground is cursed, where did he find food and a wife? There were then Adam and Eve only. Any views please.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
When Cain was banished, and the food from the ground is cursed, where did he find food and a wife? There were then Adam and Eve only. Any views please.
INCEST, plain and simple. And in as much as the Bible doesn't mention A&E having any daughters Cain must have snuck back and copulated with his mother.

A

angellous_evangellous

Cain saw something sparkling in the bottom of a pool.

When he dove in, he saw that there was a giant clam that had a smooth, glistening shell.

Hoping for a pearl, he opened it up and there was a beautiful woman inside. Unfortunately for Cain, she was exceptionally cranky. She cut off his arms and legs, used him to have children, and then stuck him back in the clam.

INCEST, plain and simple. And in as much as the Bible doesn't mention A&E having any daughters Cain must have snuck back and copulated with his mother.

Yours would seem to be the most acceptable answer. But the story would be more a logical one for Cain to die first from hunger (no food from the ground). A hunger man does not desire sex.

no-body

I've always been intrigued by the Cain and Abel story. Where exactly was the land of nod and why was it already populated, where did those people come from? If they are Adam and Eves offspring then there is a hole in the story.

I've always been intrigued by the Cain and Abel story. Where exactly was the land of nod and why was it already populated, where did those people come from? If they are Adam and Eves offspring then there is a hole in the story.

I am similarly intrigued. Until the bible itself or someone can authenticate the truth of the bible, I am taking it as a story book to read at bedtime, and learn what is positive therein.

Thank you for all the replies.

no-body

I am similarly intrigued. Until the bible itself or someone can authenticate the truth of the bible, I am taking it as a story book to read at bedtime, and learn what is positive therein.

Thank you for all the replies.

I think you might get more ideas if you posted outside of the Christianity DIR. I've never seen Judaism or Islams (or Bahai for that matter) take on the subject.

james2ko

There are several theories explaining how Cain obtained his food: He was able to grow food, but not to its full potential; Since the curse only applied to Cain, he was forced to depend on others to grow his food; Cain was forced to become a carnivore. I opt to believe a combination of the three as plausible.

As far as Cain's wife, the answer becomes obvious when one considers the time factor of Genesis 4. Time obviously had elapsed since Adam's and Eve's creation. Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel were not the only human beings on the earth when Cain killed Abel. By this time, other children had been born to Adam and Eve:

Gen 5:4-5 After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters. 5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.​

Cain married one of his sisters. The modern laws of incest have placed a stigma on this scenario but in order to populated the earth, God allowed it for a time. The genetic disposition at the time was still pure so there was no harm to the children. In fact, it was the manner in which the various racial characteristics were brought out of the original human stock. As the gene pool increased, it became polluted to the point it grew increasingly harmful for close blood relatives to marry. This prompted God to enact laws forbidding the practice (Lev 18).

Skwim

Veteran Member
There are several theories explaining how Cain obtained his food: He was able to grow food, but not to its full potential; Since the curse only applied to Cain, he was forced to depend on others to grow his food; Cain was forced to become a carnivore. I opt to believe a combination of the three as plausible.

As far as Cain's wife, the answer becomes obvious when one considers the time factor of Genesis 4. Time obviously had elapsed since Adam's and Eve's creation. Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel were not the only human beings on the earth when Cain killed Abel. By this time, other children had been born to Adam and Eve:
Gen 5:4-5 After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters. 5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.​
Cain married one of his sisters. The modern laws of incest have placed a stigma on this scenario but in order to populated the earth, God allowed it for a time.
Whether god allowed it or not, having sexual intercourse with one's sister still amounts to incest.

The genetic disposition at the time was still pure so there was no harm to the children. In fact, it was the manner in which the various racial characteristics were brought out of the original human stock.
HUH??? Incest brought on the various races? Evidently you've never had a course in genetics.

As the gene pool increased, it became polluted to the point it grew increasingly harmful for close blood relatives to marry. This prompted God to enact laws forbidding the practice (Lev 18).
Boy, you sure know a lot of arcane history here. Care to share your sources for god's thinking?

james2ko

Whether god allowed it or not, having sexual intercourse with one's sister still amounts to incest.

HUH??? Incest brought on the various races? Evidently you've never had a course in genetics.

Boy, you sure know a lot of arcane history here. Care to share your sources for god's thinking?

Is this a debate thread?

Gen 5:4-5 After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters. 5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.

Is there anywhere to suggest that Cain and Abel were born after Seth?
Incest is incest and unlawful accordingly, wheather in aeons past or future. Otherwise, humans can practice incest now with save sex without fear of damage to the children so obtained.

Should not God have just created another woman for Cain for him to make a choice wheather to lay with her or not. Mostly your POVs are reasonably though. Thanks.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Is this a debate thread?
No it isn't, but I think it profitable to set things straight. Don't you?

My points:
1) Incest is incest is incest

2) Incest does not beget racial diversity

3) I admire your knowledge of history and god's motives, and would appreciate knowing your source(s).

Skwim

Veteran Member
So has mine. You're a pretty smart guy, If you really want to know, I'm sure you won't have a problem finding the sources to my info.
Okay, I get where you're coming from.
Wink-male-smiley-smile-smiley-emoticon-000282-large.gif