• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Cain obtain his food and wife?

jojo50

When Cain was banished, and the food from the ground is cursed, where did he find food and a wife? There were then Adam and Eve only. Any views please.

many believe two theories concerning Cain's wife. either he had his mother, one of his sisters. or there were other's ,(created),on earth besides the first couple,both are wrong. we all seen pictures of the first couple,(even when Cain and Abel we there), being young. we've all seen pictures of Cain and Abel being young men. but what many don't know is,those pictures,(artist conceptions), isn't really accurate. because in the days of old, many lived much longer than we even come close to living today,(Gen.5:1-32).

Abraham live to be 175,(Gen.25:7,(threescore,represent 20). there's a good chance that if Adam lived to be 930 years. and Seth,(Cain's brother), lived to be 920 years old. it's most likely Cain lived over 100 years. the point i'm making is, since the first couple lived so long,and DID have more children. they also lived long to have many grand,great grand,etc.

they most likely move over certain parts of the earth,forming different tribes. so in a sense Cain married a family member,(which was ok by God at that time). how else would the world populated? Cain could have murder his brother when he was 100,200,300 or even 400 years old,not in his 20's or 30's as most pictures seem to show. Jehovah did not create another woman or anyone in the sense of how he crated the first couple. this was now their job to create. i hope this help! peace

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
And the story turns to nonsense at this point.
Adam and his twin, (from his ribcage, same DNA), two sons, one is killed, only mommy and son and poor old Adam.
Maybe after 800 to 900 years a few hundred more kids, same DNA here, in every one of them.
As I said.....the story falls apart here......it is still a myth....nothing more.
Just another one of Moses' dreams.....
~
`mud

vnct

When Cain was banished, and the food from the ground is cursed, where did he find food and a wife? There were then Adam and Eve only. Any views please.
there are several pseudepigraphal texts which indicate that adam and eve had multiple children who intermarried with each other.

sincerly

[qote=Skwim; ]INCEST, plain and simple. And in as much as the Bible doesn't mention A&E having any daughters Cain must have snuck back and copulated with his mother.]

Hi Sweetvoice, Skwim is partly correct because the Scriptures do answer both questions. 3:17-19 ,"And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed [is] the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat [of] it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou [art], and unto dust shalt thou return."
The ground was now to bring forth "weeds" which would cause more work as a reminder of their disobedience as they gathered their food.

Notice the geneology of Adam in 5:3-4, "And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat [a son] in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:"

In that list of "begats" we are told the Age of the parent at the time of the birth of the specific named "Son" ----But, not of the daughters or other sons. There is no mystery---Cain's wife was his sister.

loopus

Loopy
It's My Birthday!
Once while I was reading Genesis, it struck me that the first six chapters seem to be a collection of different myths and legends. I think the original stories weren't necessarily connected to each other - Cain and Abel weren't originally the sons of Adam and Eve and lived in a world full of people (which explains why Cain was worried about people avenging Abel, where he found his wife, and how he was able to start his own city). Later when the Torah was being compiled, the stories were edited together and Cain and Abel "became" Adam and Eve's children.

sincerly

Once while I was reading Genesis, it struck me that the first six chapters seem to be a collection of different myths and legends. I think the original stories weren't necessarily connected to each other - Cain and Abel weren't originally the sons of Adam and Eve and lived in a world full of people (which explains why Cain was worried about people avenging Abel, where he found his wife, and how he was able to start his own city). Later when the Torah was being compiled, the stories were edited together and Cain and Abel "became" Adam and Eve's children.

Hi loopus, speaking of "myths and legends", the most absurd one is that all one sees and experiences is the result of a big bang which occurred from absolute nothing and ended with all that is seen and experienced. However, that one isn't recorded in the Bible---but the supposition/theory is believed by many.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
maybe it's just me but no where in the OT does it say Adam was the first or only man created by God. Evidently there were more folks outside the Garden

sincerly

maybe it's just me but no where in the OT does it say Adam was the first or only man created by God. Evidently there were more folks outside the Garden

BSM, Welcome to the forums. When one reads the Narrative of the Creation of all things in Genesis Chapter 1, GOD started with creating the Heavens and the earth. Then ended on day six with creating man who HE named Adam. Eve was produced from Adam and from those two the earth was populated.
All inhabitants were outside the Garden after Adam's Disobedience.

Dingbat

BSM, Welcome to the forums. When one reads the Narrative of the Creation of all things in Genesis Chapter 1, GOD started with creating the Heavens and the earth. Then ended on day six with creating man who HE named Adam. Eve was produced from Adam and from those two the earth was populated.

That is only if you take Genesis literally. I for one do not it resembles a creation myth and largely seems to be symbolic. I don't know of too many folks who take Genesis as literal anymore. Especially if you read the Tanakh translation it seems to be quite obvious it is meant as a figurative story and not a literal tale of creation.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Even St. Augustine in the 4th century did not read Genesis literally. In his De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim, St. Augustine wrote:

Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion.

Another patristic theologian, Origen, revered by the Church, declared:

For who that has understanding will suppose that the first, and second, and third day, and the evening and the morning, existed without a sun, and moon, and stars? And that the first day was, as it were, also without a sky? And who is so foolish as to suppose that God, after the manner of a husbandman, planted a paradise in Eden, towards the east, and placed in it a tree of life, visible and palpable, so that one tasting of the fruit by the bodily teeth obtained life? And again, that one was a partaker of good and evil by masticating what was taken from the tree? And if God is said to walk in the paradise in the evening, and Adam to hide himself under a tree, I do not suppose that anyone doubts that these things figuratively indicate certain mysteries, the history having taken place in appearance, and not literally.

Those Christians who demand we interpret the biblical literature literally, are generally ignorant of the historical development of theology.

sincerly

That is only if you take Genesis literally. I for one do not it resembles a creation myth and largely seems to be symbolic. I don't know of too many folks who take Genesis as literal anymore. Especially if you read the Tanakh translation it seems to be quite obvious it is meant as a figurative story and not a literal tale of creation.

Hi Dingbat, I for another do believe that Genesis/"origins" does, indeed, give the true facts of the earth's origin and that of mankind.
I read the Tanakh's accounting and it is translated into English using almost word for word the same English understood accounting.
Not "figurative" or "myth" or "symbolic"---just in factual terms.
The "folks"/people I am around, also, believe the Genesis account.(and the rest of the Bible).

sincerly

Even St. Augustine in the 4th century did not read Genesis literally. In his De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim, St. Augustine wrote:

Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion.

Another patristic theologian, Origen, revered by the Church, declared:

For who that has understanding will suppose that the first, and second, and third day, and the evening and the morning, existed without a sun, and moon, and stars? And that the first day was, as it were, also without a sky? And who is so foolish as to suppose that God, after the manner of a husbandman, planted a paradise in Eden, towards the east, and placed in it a tree of life, visible and palpable, so that one tasting of the fruit by the bodily teeth obtained life? And again, that one was a partaker of good and evil by masticating what was taken from the tree? And if God is said to walk in the paradise in the evening, and Adam to hide himself under a tree, I do not suppose that anyone doubts that these things figuratively indicate certain mysteries, the history having taken place in appearance, and not literally.

Those Christians who demand we interpret the biblical literature literally, are generally ignorant of the historical development of theology.

It was by some of those "early church fathers" that false teachings entered into the True Teachings and fulfilled the prophecies of Daniel and the teaching of Paul in that regard.(Dan.7:25; 2Thess.2:3-4)

GOD "spoke and it stood fast". (Ps.33:6-9)

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
It was by some of those "early church fathers" that false teachings entered into the True Teachings and fulfilled the prophecies of Daniel and the teaching of Paul in that regard.(Dan.7:25; 2Thess.2:3-4)

GOD "spoke and it stood fast". (Ps.33:6-9)
False from your perspective perhaps. I am sure others would disagree. I am personally opposed to what I understand as the false doctrines of sola scriptura, sola fide and biblical inerrancy.

sincerly

False from your perspective perhaps. I am sure others would disagree. I am personally opposed to what I understand as the false doctrines of sola scriptura, sola fide and biblical inerrancy.

Prophecy is prophecy----That I Believe, as it was given by GOD.
I can understand why one would be opposed to "Scriptures only"; "Faith only"; and "the Bible being without errors".

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The ground. Technically I suppose she would have been his sister.

Adam and Eve were related as such.
Eve was a clone....having no navel.
She would have been Adam's twin sister.

Cain on the other hand was fearful of 'others who might kill him'.
A clear indication there were plenty of other people on the earth.

Also clear indication....the garden event was an isolated experiment.
Adam was a chosen specimen.
Eve would be his cloned wife/sister.

Cain would be the surviving son, cast out into the world as was his parents.

But it should be obvious....the world had plenty of 'humans' in it.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Adam, Eve, Able, Cain, Navels, and such........
and all the others wanting to kill someone from imagined jeaously.......
I think Moses was a little loose in the head about that time....
and came Noah and all the rest of the farse....
sorry, no sale.
~
`mud

sincerly

Adam, Eve, Able, Cain, Navels, and such........
and all the others wanting to kill someone from imagined jeaously.......
I think Moses was a little loose in the head about that time....
and came Noah and all the rest of the farse....
sorry, no sale.
~
`mud

Eternal life is Free to the Believer.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Thanks for the welcome, Sincerely. I don't mean to be argumentative but if you read Genesis 1:26-28 int the KJV you'll see God created men and women in His image way before He create Eden. Genesis chapter 2 says God placed a man in the Garden. It never says this was the first or only man in existence at the time. Thus Cain probably had many young lovelies to choose from after his toss.