• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you search for God????

Bird123

When you search for god, don't you end up finding merely your own notion of god?

If you look for a god with human-like characteristics, won't you will find a god with human-like characteristics? If you look for a timeless and eternal god, won't you find a timeless and eternal god? If you seek god, won't you at most find the god you seek?

And can any god (no matter how seemingly profound the notion of that god is to us) that can be thought of by our petty minds be other than a petty god?

At least, that's how I see it. Others might see it differently.
Very good point. So instead of searching for God, search for the truth, not bias as to whether God exists or not. When you discover God, you discover God does not think like us. Our vision is much to narrow though I work on mine everyday. Further, God's IQ is really up there. That's is why so few really understand God and His actions. It takes study and not for what one wants but to discover what is.

Bird123

When we want to see what others overlook, it's usually a sign that we're overlooking something ourselves.
I am not immune to this at all. All the secrets of the universe stare us in the face. I work everyday to see what I am missing. With each new discovery, i see so much more. We are meant to discover it all. A question remains. How many quit looking for either lack of effort or they feel they know it all??? Discovery never ends.

Bird123

You have repeatedly asserted that beliefs are of little value, that it must be facts and facts only. Would you mind explaining how the above is anything other than a belief. And you might try the same for; " Worry not about death. It is no more than a change." plus "There is intelligence far beyond mankind." and "God is Unconditional Love." as well as, "God's actions speak to God's thinking. Everything is reasonable when you understand what is going on. It does all add up." and "We are all God's children". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but - fortunately - not their own facts.
Isn't it a fact that religion's teachings do not add up??? You can find contradictions in all holy books. Since religion will not correct for their errors, how can they discover anything???? Science, on the other hand, does correct for errors. This is the only way to discovery. Since most of science deals in proof based only on the physical laws of this universe, it's going to take time. There will come a time when new ideas will lead to answers. In the meantime, lots left to learn with the easy stuff that can be proven based only on our physical laws. As for death, I have direct experience with who I am. I am a spiritual being trapped in a physical body. God's actions speak to God's thinking because everyone's actions speak to their thinking. Of course, highly intelligent thinking and actions do take study to understand them. Everybody asks for proof that God exists yet few search for God. Few attempt to understand God. God will no longer be a belief when you discover God. Once you do, you will either come out of it confused or you will know there is intelligence far above mankind. I am not wanting anyone to believe anything. I merely point. What people choose to do wth truth is entirely up to them. As with all things in life, it is a test of intelligence.

Bird123

There may be lots to look at already, however we are more aware of it in a general sense through various media. By discovering other worlds, life may be entirely different who knows. Humans make judgements based on their surroundings, the more surroundings we have access to, the more decisions/judgements we are able to do, it's part of our neural development.
So then you are to wait for someone else to discover it all then serve it up to you on a plate. Sounds like what religion does. How is that working out?????? Those who really discover aren't afraid to venture into undiscovered country. There must be a hunger with a need to know. Can you really wait for everyone else to do the work?? THis will never be me.

So then you are to wait for someone else to discover it all then serve it up to you on a plate. Sounds like what religion does. How is that working out?????? Those who really discover aren't afraid to venture into undiscovered country. There must be a hunger with a need to know. Can you really wait for everyone else to do the work?? THis will never be me.
So in that case when are you leaving earth to boldly go where no man has gone before?

strikeviperMKII

I am not immune to this at all. All the secrets of the universe stare us in the face. I work everyday to see what I am missing. With each new discovery, i see so much more. We are meant to discover it all. A question remains. How many quit looking for either lack of effort or they feel they know it all??? Discovery never ends.

Are those the only two options? Looking into the darkness of the unknown is not as easy as it sounds. There is a difference between this and learning something new. Learning is easy. Looking into the unknown is much more difficult. But when you confront the unknown, you will always learn something.
Not learning anything is a lack of effort or a sense of arrogance. Not looking into the unknown is almost always a sense of fear. And it is usually the basis for not learning anything. People are afraid of what they don't know. They won't face it unless they absolutely have to.

Bird123

Are those the only two options? Looking into the darkness of the unknown is not as easy as it sounds. There is a difference between this and learning something new. Learning is easy. Looking into the unknown is much more difficult. But when you confront the unknown, you will always learn something.
Not learning anything is a lack of effort or a sense of arrogance. Not looking into the unknown is almost always a sense of fear. And it is usually the basis for not learning anything. People are afraid of what they don't know. They won't face it unless they absolutely have to.
What is that famous saying?? There is nothing to fear except fear itself. You are probably right. Too many people are just waiting for it all to be served up on a plate. If everyone was like that, mankind would still be in the caveman stage.

strikeviperMKII

What is that famous saying?? There is nothing to fear except fear itself. You are probably right. Too many people are just waiting for it all to be served up on a plate. If everyone was like that, mankind would still be in the caveman stage.

Very true.