• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT IS ABOLISHED?

3rdAngel

Christ fulfilled the law, so Christians are no longer obligated to keep the sabbath.

Colossians 2: 16 Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath. 17 Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.
Christ did not fulfill the law so that we no longer have to. If you are breaking Gods law according to the scriptures you stand before God guilty of sin and death. Colossians 2:16 is not talking about Gods Sabbath in the 10 commandments it is talking about the ceremonial sabbaths (plural) in the annual Feast days. It is sin to break anyone of Gods 10 commandments according to James in James 2:10-11. As posted earlier, there is not a single scripture in all the bible that teaches that Gods Sabbath commandments has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection of Jesus. Sunday worship is a man-made teaching and tradition handed down by the Roman Catholic Church to most of mainstream Christianity that has led many away from God and His Word into breaking the commandments of God against the very warnings of Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Christ fulfilled the law, so Christians are no longer obligated to keep the sabbath.

Colossians 2: 16 Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath. 17 Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.
The law is not something that gets filled up and then you stop. Fulfilling the commandments simply means keeping them, and continuing to keep them.

FWIW, your Jesus said that to obtain eternal life, keep the commandments. He specifically said that not even a brush stroke would pass away until heaven and earth pass away. Last time I checked, the heavens and earth were still outside my window.

It also says that anyone who breaks the least of the commandments shall be least in the kingdom of heaven. If you teach against keeping the sabbath, that is exactly what you are doing.

FWIW, the commandments were not given to the nations. They were given to Israel. Thus, it is Jews that need to keep the sabbath. If you are not a Jew, you don't need to worry about it.

3rdAngel

The law is not something that gets filled up and then you stop. Fulfilling the commandments simply means keeping them, and continuing to keep them.

FWIW, your Jesus said that to obtain eternal life, keep the commandments. He specifically said that not even a brush stroke would pass away until heaven and earth pass away. Last time I checked, the heavens and earth were still outside my window.

It also says that anyone who breaks the least of the commandments shall be least in the kingdom of heaven. If you teach against keeping the sabbath, that is exactly what you are doing.

FWIW, the commandments were not given to the nations. They were given to Israel. Thus, it is Jews that need to keep the sabbath. If you are not a Jew, you don't need to worry about it.
Actually @IndigoChild5559 well said... we agree on some things.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."
When that was written, the only scriptures were in the Tanakh and those beyond Torah had not yet been canonized in Judaism.

3rdAngel

When that was written, the only scriptures were in the Tanakh and those beyond Torah had not yet been canonized in Judaism.
I see so what you are trying to teach now is that the teachings of Jesus that all the old covenant scriptures pointed to and the Apostles are not scripture and not Gods Word? It seems you did not think your post through very well.

IndigoChild5559

I see so what you are trying to teach now is that the teachings of Jesus that all the old covenant scriptures pointed to and the Apostles are not scripture and not Gods Word? It seems you did not think your post through very well.
What he is saying, and he is correct in this, that the only scriptures the apostolic church had were "Moses and the Prophets," as both Jesus and Paul put it. Books like Ecclesiastes and Job were not part of the Jewish canon yet, nor had Christians created the New Testament yet. Therefore the verse about all scripture being given by inspiration is referring only to Moses and the Prophets.

3rdAngel

What he is saying, and he is correct in this, that the only scriptures the apostolic church had were "Moses and the Prophets," as both Jesus and Paul put it. Books like Ecclesiastes and Job were not part of the Jewish canon yet, nor had Christians created the New Testament yet. Therefore the verse about all scripture being given by inspiration is referring only to Moses and the Prophets.
Well sadly that statement has no truth in it and spoken as a true unbeliever that does not know God or His Word. It makes no difference to the biblical interpretation of what is defined as scripture. I think you missed the point.

IndigoChild5559

Well sadly that statement has no truth in it and spoken as a true unbeliever that does not know God or His Word. It makes no difference to the biblical interpretation of what is defined as scripture. I think you missed the point.
No, I think you missed the point. Both Jesus and Paul refer to Moses and the Prophets. That's what they had. No more.

3rdAngel

No, I think you missed the point. Both Jesus and Paul refer to Moses and the Prophets. That's what they had. No more.
Not at all. Yes you just made my point. Perhaps you missed it. I posted that the new testament comes from the old testament scriptures and expounded on them = more. Scripture is defined as the inspired Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:13).

2ndpillar

Not at all. Yes you just made my point. Perhaps you missed it. I posted that the new testament comes from the old testament scriptures and expounded on them = more. Scripture is defined as the inspired Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:13).
Timothy 3:15 is referring to "the sacred writings" "from childhood". That would include nothing from past the date of Timothy's "childhood", which would most likely exclude the whole of the NT. Those "sacred writings" would be the "Scriptures", the OT. The one who brought "light" to the OT is Yeshua, and not the false prophet Paul, and his "message" of the "enemy"/"devil". (Mt 13:25)

2ndpillar

Except for Paul's discourse on women, he refers his inspiration to God, and being an "apostle of Jesus Christ", for whom he never met, except by his own declaration, making that declaration "not true". (John 5:31)
King James Bible
If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

IndigoChild5559

Except for Paul's discourse on women, he refers his inspiration to God, and being an "apostle of Jesus Christ", for whom he never met, except by his own declaration, making that declaration "not true". (John 5:31)
King James Bible
Yes, Paul appealed to his authority as an apostle. But the NT was not part of "Moses and the Prophets."

3rdAngel

Timothy 3:15 is referring to "the sacred writings" "from childhood". That would include nothing from past the date of Timothy's "childhood", which would most likely exclude the whole of the NT. Those "sacred writings" would be the "Scriptures", the OT. The one who brought "light" to the OT is Yeshua, and not the false prophet Paul, and his "message" of the "enemy"/"devil". (Mt 13:25)
No! 2 Timothy 3:16 is defining what scripture it. 2 Timothy 3:16 say that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof instruction and correction in righteousness. Receive Gods correction and be blessed ignoring it does not make it disappear. According to Jesus the words of God we accept or reject become our judge come judgement day (John 12:47-48).

3rdAngel

King James Bible
Your witness is not true. Read Acts 9:1-22.

IndigoChild5559

Timothy 3:15 is referring to "the sacred writings" "from childhood". That would include nothing from past the date of Timothy's "childhood", which would most likely exclude the whole of the NT.
No. Most of the NT was not yet written in Timothy's day, and none of it would be canonized for several hundred more years.