• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which evolved first, consciousness or senses

The evolution of consciousness and senses

• Total voters

Pudding

"It's not the bullet that kills you........ It's the hole". -Laurie Anderson -

It probably wasn't the hole either......probably the loss of blood.
The bullet and hole and loss of blood both responsible for the death.
Probably destiny or fate also responsible for the death... and the parents of that person also responsible for his death because if they don't bring his existence to the world the person will not die in this world because of that bullet and hole and loss of blood.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Senses without consciousness has no value, similarly consciousness without senses has no value.

How senses and consciousness evolved simultaneously, was it due to plan or just happened by chance?

** Blind Post **

It's an impossible question to answer because science has yet to define consciousness; and, consciousness is connected to awareness of one's environment; so "conciousness" is more of a combination of biological factors which does include having senses.

We've gone over with you why these kinds of questions are silly and that this isn't how evolution works. You ignore and dismiss these explanations out of hand simply because they do not conform to your presupposed view of the universe. But please; continue on. Maybe you'll learn something in the process; and beyond that, these threads are quite entertaining.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Conscious - aware of and responding to one's surroundings; awake.

You say baby has all the senses but not conscious.
As the definition i provide, does "you say baby is not conscious" can be understand as "you say baby is not aware of and neither responding to their surroundings; you say the baby is not awake" ?

Please explain how baby is not conscious and your definition for "conscious".

I'm talking about a new born baby.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
** Blind Post **

It's an impossible question to answer because science has yet to define consciousness; and, consciousness is connected to awareness of one's environment; so "conciousness" is more of a combination of biological factors which does include having senses.

We've gone over with you why these kinds of questions are silly and that this isn't how evolution works. You ignore and dismiss these explanations out of hand simply because they do not conform to your presupposed view of the universe. But please; continue on. Maybe you'll learn something in the process; and beyond that, these threads are quite entertaining.

Did you bring any useful information here?

Pudding

I'm talking about a new born baby.

You say new born baby has all the senses but not conscious.
As the definition i provide, does "you say new born baby is not conscious" can be understand as "you say new born baby is not aware of and neither responding to their surroundings; you say the new born baby is not awake" ?

Please explain how new born baby is not conscious and your definition for "conscious".

Can you answer the question now...?

Noitall

The bullet and hole and loss of blood both responsible for the death.
Probably destiny or fate also responsible for the death... and the parents of that person also responsible for his death because if they don't bring his existence to the world the person will not die in this world because of that bullet and hole and loss of blood.
I like Cruise's answer in Collateral: " I didn't kill him. The bullet and the fall killed him."

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

You say new born baby has all the senses but not conscious.
As the definition i provide, does "you say new born baby is not conscious" can be understand as "you say new born baby is not aware of and neither responding to their surroundings; you say the new born baby is not awake" ?

Please explain how new born baby is not conscious and your definition for "conscious".

Can you answer the question now or you'll just keep moving goal post...?

Where's the question?

The baby is not conscious while having all the senses, I'm the one asking how senses and consciousness worked in harmony.

Pudding

How you explain that some may die while sleeping due to a gas leakage? if the soul is present then the person
should wake up before being suffocated, what do you think?
If the gas damage the body until the person cannot wake up and make the person death then the person die while sleeping due to gas leakage regardless whether he has soul.
If you think soul enables the person to wake up before being suffocated please explain why you think so.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
So when the doctor(or midwife, take your pick) pulls out the little runt and slaps it on the butt and it yells out like a mad hyena is he/she aware of their surroundings? Hmmmm.

The runt of yours will feel the same thing and it has nothing to do with consciousness.

Pudding

Where's the question?

The baby is not conscious while having all the senses, I'm the one asking how senses and consciousness worked in harmony.
You say baby is not conscious and i ask you to explain why you think baby is not conscious and your definition for conscious.

Do you see the question mark after the sentence in my post and those sentence i ask you to explain your definition for "consciousness"?
Those are my questions for you.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If the gas damage the body until the person cannot wake up and make the person death then the person die while sleeping due to gas leakage regardless whether he has soul.
If you think soul enables the person to wake up before being suffocated please explain why you think so.

If the soul is present then it'll act to survive? the senses are there but the person not conscious.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You say baby is not conscious and i ask you to explain why you think baby is not conscious and your definition for conscious.

Do you see the question mark after the sentence in my post and those sentence i ask you to explain your definition for "consciousness"?
Those are my questions for you.

Do babies realize what is going around them ?
Again they have all the senses but realize nothing of the surrounding.

Pudding

If the soul is present then it'll act to survive?
You have not explain why and how the soul will act to enables the person to wake up before being suffocated other than because you think so, please explain again.

the senses are there but the person not conscious.
We're talking about whether soul enable the person to wake up before being suffocated, how does the person have senses and not conscious to do with that?

Pudding

Do babies realize what is going around them ?
Again they have all the senses but realize nothing of the surrounding.
My previous post say:
[You say new born baby has all the senses but not conscious.

Please explain how new born baby is not conscious and your definition for "conscious".]

Why do you switch my context (bold hightlight above) to "Do babies realize what is going around them" ?

So do you think new born baby is not conscious, as in they're not aware of and neither responding to their surroundings? Or you'll again ask me to ask a baby to explain why you think they're not conscious...?

When will you ever explain your definition for "conscious" ...?

Last edited:

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
** Blind Post **

I think the biggest problem with consciousness is that people seem to think there should be some great philosophical explanation for it, so they sit there and philosophize the sh** out of it and never really get anywhere with it. There is only one logical explanation for consciousness and that explanation is complex interactions. Science already supports this idea and would probably have a solid definition for it already if philosophers and theologians stopped confounding things. I already have my own definition for consciousness because I grew tired of the old ones: The ability to interact in a complex manner with oneself and one's environment. That's it, that's all.

So none of this vague "Conscious - aware and responding to one's environment; awake" type of definition. It's like trying to define something just by using another word that means the exact same thing. So what does "being aware and responding to one's environment; awake" really amount to? It amounts to this...interacting in a complex manner with oneself and one's environment. Seeing, touching, tasting, smelling, hearing, thinking, emotion...all are are nothing more than complex interactions.