• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion invented the idea of "One god" first?

F0uad

The definition of Islam had it first Duh.. Since it by definition means: Submission to The-One-God.

We always win..

Kemble

The definition of Islam had it first Duh.. Since it by definition means: Submission to The-One-God.

We always win..

Judaism, actually, as far as the recognizably contemporary monotheism. There probably were a few older or proto-monotheisms before that in the Greek mystery traditions and Zoroastrians to name a few, but the one God concept really had its earliest origins in the Axial Age.

F0uad

Judaism, actually, as far as the recognizably contemporary monotheism. There probably were a few older or proto-monotheisms before that in the Greek mystery traditions and Zoroastrians to name a few, but the one God concept really had its earliest origins in the Axial Age.

Typical you not understanding my point.

knock_ask_seek

..pardone me ...I just wanted to know if the above quote is from Quran. I have not read Quran and right now I have no interest in reading one yet if it is found to be true that the Quran and the islam acknowledged that Adam as one man first created by God as was expressed from the Bible scriptures the same Adam who was purportedly or purposely created by God to start human race who will fill the earth? Is it also possible that this God who was spoken in the Quran is the God that is spoken in the bible who did confused the people's language back when people were only speaking in one language as it is writen in the bible this scripture when Babel was built?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
..pardone me ...I just wanted to know if the above quote is from Quran. I have not read Quran and right now I have no interest in reading one yet if it is found to be true that the Quran and the islam acknowledged that Adam as one man first created by God as was expressed from the Bible scriptures the same Adam who was purportedly or purposely created by God to start human race who will fill the earth? Is it also possible that this God who was spoken in the Quran is the God that is spoken in the bible who did confused the people's language back when people were only speaking in one language as it is writen in the bible this scripture when Babel was built?

...who're you talking to? What quote do you mean?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Zoroastrianism, which was probably founded some time before the 6th century, is credited by most scholars as being the first monotheistic religion. Zoroastrians believed in one universal god, Ahura Mazda.
Source?
Well:

Zoroastrianism - ReligionFacts
Zoroastrianism
Textual Sources for the Study of Zoroastrianism (Textual Sources for the Study of Religion): Mary Boyce: 9780226069302: Amazon.com: Books
Very nice. And where in this googled laundry list do we find a reasonably credible claim that "Zoroastrianism ... is credited by most scholars as being the first monotheistic religion"?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I disagree. The most ancient Vedic ideas refer to a single God. All the other 'gods' are simply manifestations of the One and do not equal Him/It/Her.

So unless the OP is asking for a version of monotheism where there is one God and no lesser 'gods'm then Hinduism had it first.

Those deities emanating from Brahman are separate gods though, to my understanding. Sort of like the trinity, with Jesus being the "Son of God".

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Those deities emanating from Brahman are separate gods though, to my understanding. Sort of like the trinity, with Jesus being the "Son of God".

Never separate. Nothing is separate from Brahman. Everything is a manifestation or expansion of Brahman.

Shermana

Heretic
Does Henotheism count? Because that's the general consensus on what the ancient Israelites believed, but it becomes a Semantic quagmire of what "god" means. One chief supreme "god" (which means "power") who reigns over lesser subordinate "gods" (who are the "angels").

"The god" is articulated for a reason, he's called "god of the gods" (Psalm 136:2) and "Elohim" are clearly referenced as Angels. So Jewish "Monotheism" may be a misnomer until the Masoretic days. We also see things like major differences like in the Masoretic and Septuagint of Deuteronomy 32:8.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Does Henotheism count? Because that's the general consensus on what the ancient Israelites believed, but it becomes a Semantic quagmire of what "god" means. One chief supreme "god" (which means "power") who reigns over lesser subordinate "gods" (who are the "angels").

"The god" is articulated for a reason, he's called "god of the gods" (Psalm 136:2) and "Elohim" are clearly referenced as Angels. So Jewish "Monotheism" may be a misnomer until the Masoretic days. We also see things like major differences like in the Masoretic and Septuagint of Deuteronomy 32:8.

That's just theory, it doesn't hold up in the light of religion based analysis, IMO

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
How to account for the different personalities then?

God is infinite in every way. Each manifestation is an expression of some aspect of the One. Therefore each personality is just an expression of God in a particular manifestation.

Shermana

Heretic
That's just theory, it doesn't hold up in the light of religion based analysis, IMO

http://www.michaelsheiser.com/PaleoBabble/BBRMonotheism.pdf

Sure holds up to the "religion based analysis" of all these scholars Heiser cites.

Most scholars whose work focuses on Israelite religion recognize that the Hebrew Bible contains
a number of references assuming and even affirming the existence of other gods. As a corollary
to this observation, scholars also frequently assert that no explicit denial of the existence of other
gods occurs until the time of Deutero-Isaiah and thereafter (6th century B.C.E.) in a presumed
campaign by zealous scribes to expunge such references from the sacred text. Even the Shema
and the first commandment do not consign the other gods to fantasy, since the demand is made
that no other gods should be worshipped. The data apparently informs us that Israelite religion
evolved from polytheism to henotheistic monolatry to monotheism.
Besides, I've already gone over this with you, the word "god" most definitively refers to Angels without question or dispute in many Biblical passages.

Quote Psalm 136:2 for me and explain what you think it means, and look at what even all the orthodox commentators say about it.

I'd like to see what you consider "religious based analysis" while you're at it.

Even with Isaiah, it seems to have been recognized that After me" means "Like me" like "After this fashion".

As I've brought before, the reference to other lesser gods who were the Angels is clearly cited by Josephus and the particularly very Jewish "Sibylline Oracles" (not the pagan ones the Romans went by) that even the Church Fathers considered authoritative.

To call it "Theory" is simply a misnomer. EVERYTHING is theory in this speculative world of religious studies. What's not theory is the way that the text explicitly interchanges "Angels" with "Elohim".

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
http://www.michaelsheiser.com/PaleoBabble/BBRMonotheism.pdf

Sure holds up to the "religion based analysis" of all these scholars Heiser cites.

Besides, I've already gone over this with you, the word "god" most definitively refers to Angels without question or dispute in many Biblical passages.

Quote Psalm 136:2 for me and explain what you think it means, and look at what even all the orthodox commentators say about it.

I'd like to see what you consider "religious based analysis" while you're at it.

Even with Isaiah, it seems to have been recognized that "before me" means merely "more important than me" and "After me" means "Like me" like "After this fashion".

Worship of one Deity is Monotheistic, though, I personally feel that the term "Henotheism" does not fit Judaic belief. That being said, sure, it can be viewed as such, I suppose, but I question the intellectual accuracy of that description.