• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion invented the idea of "One god" first?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Right here. I believe that crown might belong to Judaism....

Judaism also believes in oneness of God; but Hinduism,which they claim to be much older than Judaism, also believe in oneness of Him; Madhuri a member here has quoted many verses from Hindu books in these forums:

Every single Hindu scripture reinforces this teaching of One Original Being, Creator of everything that is. Here are some examples:

Filled with Brahman are the things we see,
Filled with Brahman are the things we see not,
From out of Brahman floweth all that is:
From Brahman all–yet is he still the same. - Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

The Lord, who is the controller of all energies, thus creates, by His own potency, eternal time, the fate of all living entities, and their particular nature, for which they were created, and He again merges them independently. - Srimad Bhagavatam

I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who know this perfectly engage in My devotional service and worship Me with all their hearts. - Bhagavad Gita

Although I am the maintainer of all living entities, and although I am everywhere, still My Self is the very source of creation - Bhagavad Gita

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3037038-post38.html

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I would have to say Zoroastrianism as well. Zoroastrianism is the first religion to posit many of the Abrahamic ideas, but ultimately comes from the East. Zoroastrianism worships the universal and transcendent God, Ahura Mazda, who is himself uncreated and the entity to whom all worship is ultimately directed.

So ONENESS of the creator God is common with all the revealed religions and that is because of the common source; I mean they all got Word of revelation from the one true attributive creator God, hence the common thoughts. Nobody plagiarized it from any others.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I would have to say Zoroastrianism as well. Zoroastrianism is the first religion to posit many of the Abrahamic ideas, but ultimately comes from the East. Zoroastrianism worships the universal and transcendent God, Ahura Mazda, who is himself uncreated and the entity to whom all worship is ultimately directed.

Well, Zoroastrianism was an extension of the Persian (Ancient Iranian) religion, but whether it evolved to pure monotheism before Judaism is still not quite known.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Zoroastrians are monotheists; one may read their scripture called Yasna for oneself, if one may like, for the evidence; they believe in one God called Ahura Mazda:

AVESTA: YASNA: (English)

I know. Ahura Mazda was also the Vedic God Varuna.

The thing is, they also believed in an evil force called Angra Mainyu, whose power would seem to indicate God-status, despite being evil.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
As I said Quran does not provide a time frame for the universe and or life having been created in days, weeks, months, years, centuries etc. ; I will reply to my child and give the latest information from science which, to me, is a secular tool of the human beings and has no contradiction with the basic ethical, moral and spiritual teachings of religion.

And this is exactly what my religion teaches me.

Just so you know and understand...

...I can well respect the "basic ethical, moral and spiritual teachings of religion", regardless of textural or oral history sources... as long as scientific fact is not lent some literal false equivalency to myth, superstition, cultural traditions, magical/wishful thinking, or pseudoscience rationalizations/mysticism.

ANY religion that teaches, preaches, and demands of pious adherents to be decent, caring, empathetic, generous, and *thinking* human beings is good by me :)

ANY religion that dictates that heretics and infidels must be punished for their unbelief by the Command of their favored deity...is, *ahem*, as unevolved and ignorant as any caveman clad in animal skins wielding a stone spear eager to eliminate the the clan that competes for food a few caves over...

Bismillah

Submit
Why wouldn't it?
Because "who was first" has no impact on monotheistic religions as those who ascribe to them do not see it as a single "inventor" of monotheism but stemming from the same source that they worship.

InfidelRiot

Because "who was first" has no impact on monotheistic religions as those who ascribe to them do not see it as a single "inventor" of monotheism but stemming from the same source that they worship.

Actually, the Judeo-Christian religions seem to have no problems identifying which religion was monotheistic first. Their problems seem to stem more from which god is real as opposed to the others.

Bismillah

Submit
Fair enough, I just ask because often people use it as a point of criticizing religions that are founded after. Often times this is from atheists who, like the OP, view the establishment of monotheism as a human innovation.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Fair enough, I just ask because often people use it as a point of criticizing religions that are founded after. Often times this is from atheists who, like the OP, view the establishment of monotheism as a human innovation.

Well, as the atheist in question that put forward the OP, I initially couched the question in saying that I did not know if there was any "correct" answer available... but was curious if any believer or historian could provide any compelling or religious/textual based evidences to rightfully claim originality in monotheistic adherence and practices.

You may misunderstand or mistakenly attribute my interests as motivation to criticize a particular or unique religion... and you would be wrong.

Please note again, I am an atheist.

I'm not anti-islam, anti-christian, anti-voodoo, anti-hindi, anti-Zoroastrian, anti-buddist, anti-pagan, anti-anything religious. I perceive all religions as utter bunk, and I retain no favorites or enemies in that estimation.

But within the course of recorded human history, and perhaps even before those accountings, the concept of monotheism is often claimed by many religions, both current and those largely unpracticed nowadays.

As far as I know, there is no *correct* answer available, but I was curious enough to inquire to perhaps reduce my ignorance as to whom might claim with legitimate argument and evidence, their own presented "first cause" argument of a singular divine entity.

I must say at very least, the instances presented so far have been intriguing... and interesting.

Shermana

Heretic
Animism seems to be the oldest religion (corrolating to the oldest known humans) and the idea is fairly similar to the Tao, which is also arguably "monotheistic".

Also, Judaism did not develop the idea of "One god alone" as opposed to "One god above all others". Judaism accepted the existence of many minor gods who were all subservient to the Big G god. I'd say the first religion to believe in the existence of only one god was post-2nd Temple Rabbinical Judaism (as opposed to ancient Judaism).

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Well, as the atheist in question that put forward the OP, I initially couched the question in saying that I did not know if there was any "correct" answer available... but was curious if any believer or historian could provide any compelling or religious/textual based evidences to rightfully claim originality in monotheistic adherence and practices.

You may misunderstand or mistakenly attribute my interests as motivation to criticize a particular or unique religion... and you would be wrong.

Please note again, I am an atheist.

I'm not anti-islam, anti-christian, anti-voodoo, anti-hindi, anti-Zoroastrian, anti-buddist, anti-pagan, anti-anything religious. I perceive all religions as utter bunk, and I retain no favorites or enemies in that estimation.

But within the course of recorded human history, and perhaps even before those accountings, the concept of monotheism is often claimed by many religions, both current and those largely unpracticed nowadays.

As far as I know, there is no *correct* answer available, but I was curious enough to inquire to perhaps reduce my ignorance as to whom might claim with legitimate argument and evidence, their own presented "first cause" argument of a singular divine entity.

I must say at very least, the instances presented so far have been intriguing... and interesting.

And atheism, agnosticism, skepticism seem bunks to me; having no reality in them, in my opinion; sorry.