• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion invented the idea of "One god" first?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It's probably a concept that has been independently created multiple times. Even if, for example, Hindus were the very first humans to ever think of it, that doesn't mean that the Jews got the idea from them. They mighta thunk it up themselves.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Without a doubt, some religion we don't even have a proper name for came up with the idea first. Some religion that was an oral tradition that we have no written records for, therefore they will never get any credit. The one who gets credit will be the ones with the longest written tradition. On that, Hinduism or some variety of Paganism probably wins the bill. Judaism is just too new, though arguably it is the first "true" monotheism (possibly one of the only).

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Here is an excerpt and you will find many sources providing the same information.

"Using the many types of evidence previously provided in this chapter, it is clear that the height of the Vedic Age was certainly long before 3100 B.C., even as early as 4000 to 5000 B.C. as some scholars feel. Bal Gangadhar Tilak estimates that the Vedas were in existence as early as 6000 B.C., based on historical data, while others say it was as far back as 7000-8000 B.C."

Death of the Aryan Invasion Theory

Your referenced source/link does provide historical precedents of origin...

..any other takers?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Ok, whom shall we crown with first inventing a monotheistic (one god only) religion?

Name of religion is not necessary in my opinion; man always believed in one true creator God from the time the first true man got Word of Revelation or Converse with Him.
When man forgot the true message from the creator God; man either believed in many gods or just denied Him; this is a sort of corruption not a natural belief. The natural belief in my opinion is believing in one true creator God since inception.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Judaism is just too new, though arguably it is the first "true" monotheism (possibly one of the only).

I can see how it can be argued that Hinduism and Christianity are not "true" monotheism, but I would think that Islam would fit the bill just as well as Judaism.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can see how it can be argued that Hinduism and Christianity are not "true" monotheism, but I would think that Islam would fit the bill just as well as Judaism.

Ah, that is probably fair. I confess I am somewhat less familiar with Islamic theology beyond some bare-bones basic.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Ah, that is probably fair. I confess I am somewhat less familiar with Islamic theology beyond some bare-bones basic.

To be honest, I don't know much either. But they are pretty militant about there only being one God, and believe that Christianity has strayed from that monotheistic belief.

arthra

Baha'i
In my belief there is only one religion of God but it has appeared at various times through Prophets and Messengers...

Spiritually they are one..

In the name of God , May the bounteous miraculous power and
glory of Ohrmazd the lord increase.
May it (i.e. the prayer) reach
Srosh, the righteous, the vigorous, whose body is the command,
having a hard weapon, powerful of weapon, the lord of the creations
of Ohrmazd.

(The Zend-Avesta, Khorda Avesta - Book of Common Prayer pt. 1)

20 Thou, O wise God, art Lord of all, thou art the King of earth and heaven
Hear, as thou goest on thy way.

(Vedas, Rig Veda - Book 1)

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

~ Deuteronomy 6:4

God, the Creator, saith: There is no distinction whatsoever among the Bearers of My Message. They all have but one purpose; their secret is the same secret. To prefer one in honor to another, to exalt certain ones above the rest, is in no wise to be permitted. Every true Prophet hath regarded His Message as fundamentally the same as the Revelation of every other Prophet gone before Him.

~ Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 78

s2a

Name of religion is not necessary in my opinion; man always believed in one true creator God from the time the first true man got Word of Revelation or Converse with Him.
When man forgot the true message from the creator God; man either believed in many gods or just denied Him; this is a sort of corruption not a natural belief. The natural belief in my opinion is believing in one true creator God since inception.

Well, that's a pleasant fantasy of unsubstantiated bunk and wishful thought...

...unless you are withholding some secrets of as yet revealed recorded history the entire world has not examined as yet...

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Well, that's a pleasant fantasy of unsubstantiated bunk and wishful thought...

...unless you are withholding some secrets of as yet revealed recorded history the entire world has not examined as yet...

The opposite is also unsubstantiated; is a wishful thinking and a fantasy of the atheists, in my opinion.

Have you got a documented evidence against what I said?

s2a

The opposite is also unsubstantiated; is a wishful thinking and a fantasy of the atheists, in my opinion.

Have you got a documented evidence against what I said?

*ahem*

I do not claim that there is an invisible and magical Easter Bunny or Flying Spaghetti Monster that determines the daily machinations of the cosmos, or if my kids win their next soccer match.

Your opinion is noted, but I'm not motivated to substantiate your claims of magical thinking. That is your burden of proof to bear, not mine.

I simply state that your claim is bunk. As defendant in this case, you must prove myself, as the accused infidel and unbeliever, guilty of god-denial as charged. So, be lead prosecutor, or be prepared to see me go free as another wild-eyed heretic of the great unwashed and undelivered.

Prepare your opening statements in your case... the defense awaits your provided evidences of guilt on my part as the accused :)

InfidelRiot

There are three primary religions I consider part of the monotheistic group. Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. Judaism is older than Islam and Christianity. Therefore, Judaism was the first religion to adhere to the monotheistic god idea.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
There are three primary religions I consider part of the monotheistic group. Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. Judaism is older than Islam and Christianity. Therefore, Judaism was the first religion to adhere to the monotheistic god idea.
Of those with a historical record, Zoroastrianism would have come before the Hebrews became strictly monotheistic.

s2a

You are aware, no doubt, that early Judaism was in fact polytheistic and incorporated many branches of pagan rituals, observances, and idolatry?

Have you not even seen the classic "Ten Commandments" movie starring
Charlton Heston? Still wish to stand by your summary conclusion? :)

InfidelRiot

Of those with a historical record, Zoroastrianism would have come before the Hebrews became strictly monotheistic.

After a quick perusal, Zoroastrianism is described as both monotheistic and dualistic. I would have to read more to properly understand that assertion.

InfidelRiot

You are aware, no doubt, that early Judaism was in fact polytheistic and incorporated many branches of pagan rituals, observances, and idolatry?
:)

Good point. Unfortunately, I do not know as much about Judaism or Islam as I do about Christianity. Still, I am fairly certain Judaism formulated the first monotheistic god considering that Christianity did not arise for at least another thousand years.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point. Unfortunately, I do not know as much about Judaism or Islam as I do about Christianity. Still, I am fairly certain Judaism formulated the first monotheistic god considering that Christianity did not arise for at least another thousand years.

How do you define monotheism?