• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Scenario, if Either, Would Make You Feel More Threatened or Unsafe?

Which scenario, if either, would make you feel more threatened or unsafe?

• The second.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both would equally make me feel threatened or unsafe.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see I was terribly remiss not to include a third scenario where Big Brother walked in with a spy camera in hand.
You joke.
But the friend I mentioned earlier really believes
that government agents follow & surveil him.
He tells me of spotting them by their behavior.
I try to calm him, with limited success.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You joke.
But the friend I mentioned earlier really believes
that government agents follow & surveil him.
He tells me of spotting them by their behavior.
I try to calm him, with limited success.

That must produce a lot of stress. I hope he can overcome those beliefs for the sake of his health.

Do you think he has any mental issues, or does he just have... highly unrealistic views?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That must produce a lot of stress. I hope he can overcome those beliefs for the sake of his health.
It does stress him.
I work to ensure he doesn't endanger the public.
(He doesn't own a gun at the moment, but he
has in the past, & plans to again.)
Do you think he has any mental issues, or does he just have... highly unrealistic views?
I think it's more than unrealistic views.
But I think those are making him clinically depressed.
I've encouraged him to discuss this with his physician
because it could be the source of some health issues.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It does stress him.
I work to ensure he doesn't endanger the public.
(He doesn't own a gun at the moment, but he
has in the past, & plans to again.)

I think it's more than unrealistic views.
But I think those are making him clinically depressed.
I've encouraged him to discuss this with his physician
because it could be the source of some health issues.

You're doing the right thing and also being a good friend to him, in my opinion.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Was that in India, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm wondering because I have come to believe, based on many indicators, that many people in formerly colonized and/or poorer countries may see communism or at least some communist figures (e.g., Guevara) in a vastly different light than many Western countries generally do, perhaps partially due to the history and lingering effects of the Cold War. Even when disapproving of communism, many people in the former may not see it as especially different or much worse than imperialism, exploitation, etc., carried out by capitalist countries as each relates or related to their immediate lives.
Yes India.
Hitler is quite popular here too, because he fought the evil British and aided some Indian revolutionaries at that time. The devastating evils of Nazi and Communist regimes are not something many are aware of as international, esp European history is not much covered in schools.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've had problems with skinheads before on more than one occasion so the first scenario would concern me

The second bunch sound like friends of mine

That reminds me of when I went out with an uber-libertarian friend and a Marxist one who likes Lenin. They kept debating each other for something like 40 minutes, and then we all went for some drinks. While drinking, they agreed that neither of their worldviews were likely to ever be implemented on any considerable scale and that what to do in the present mattered more. I agreed with them. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Although generally speaking roving packs of them aren't usually out in public searching for peace and quiet.
It's in the nature of roving packs of any kind.
Even a "roving pack" of cheerleaders could be dangerous.
The OP proposed something less ominous sounding...
"You then see two or three people enter the same place, all wearing similar T-shirts."

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The OP proposed something less ominous sounding...
"You then see two or three people enter the same place, all wearing similar T-shirts."

Yep, the small number was intentional on my part, because I realize that when alone in public at night, it could feel unsettling to see a relatively large group walk in at once while one was isolated or outnumbered—regardless of what the group wore or looked like.

☆Dreamwind☆

I've seen people wearing Che Geuvera shirts, and did not feel threatened.

Nazi symbolism does make me feel uncomfortable, as I'm mixed.

Once I saw some guy in military gear preaching neo-nazi propaganda and not only it was uncomfortable, it was awkward and confusing af, because the guy doing the preaching was black. Like do you know what horrible things they would have done to you back then dude? I did not stick around to hear his speech.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Personally, I would just stand aside and watch the fireworks fly! Fash vs. Commie street fights are legendary. Lol