• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who created God?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Your comparison is off..

Randomness and chance can't have part in explaining something that always existed. But, I think that is how they explain the birth of the universe - big bang etc.

and the chance that god just happens to exist...?
:confused:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Not at all. Nothing is not something. To say that nothing created god is not to say something created god. It is to say god was not created. You also have to consider that god could have always existed in a multitude of shapes, sizes, characteristics, natures attributes or lack thereof. These are the chances of gods existence. Out of this infinite multitude of chances god existed at one random chance created by nothing. So we have nothingness and random chance.

No. You're actually giving 'nothing' the definition for something, by saying that it did something. Nothing does nothing. Only something can do something.

waitasec

Veteran Member
..I'm not sure how to respond to this.

because your argument is self defeating.

you say "the universe came from nothing....how can something come from nothing?" while not applying the same logic to god...
in order for your argument to make sense you need to apply the same logic to both the universe and god.

god came from nothing = the universe came from nothing.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

because your argument is self defeating.

you say "the universe came from nothing....how can something come from nothing, while not applying the same logic to god...?"
in order for your argument to make sense you need to apply the same logic to both the universe and god.

god came from nothing = the universe came from nothing.

That's not my argument. Obviously, because I believe in God, I believe existence came from Him.

To me, the only other sensible belief is that something else always existed. If the universe began from the Big Bang, as they say, then something before it was ever existing.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That's not my argument. Obviously, because I believe in God, I believe existence came from Him.
who created god? something can't come from nothing, right?

To me, the only other sensible belief is that something else always existed. If the universe began from the Big Bang, as they say, then something before it was ever existing.

there is no way, thus far, to know what caused the big bang.
and to simply say "an uncaused cause caused the universe because something can't come from nothing" is defeating the 'uncaused cause caused' argument.

Sleeppy

then you must apply the same logic to the universe...
maybe the big bang was a really big super nova...from a previous universe?

I said:

I never made the argument that you said I did.