• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here is enlightened?

Straw Dog

Does anyone on this forum claim to be enlightened? If so, please post here so we can talk. I'd like to see who here claims to have reached enlightenment.

We all have enlightened and unenlightened moments. The former occurs whenever one makes a realization moving their perspective beyond mere conditioning, ergo it's relative to the individual.

So if you consider yourself enlightened, I invite you to post here. Perhaps you could start by explaining what enlightenment is to you, how you achieved it, how you know you achieved it, and what it is like.

I don't know that there is a final state of Enlightenment. If so, then I believe it has to do with perpetual transcendence or a certain ultimate state of adaptability.

gnostic

The Lost One
At this forum?

I don't know. I don't know anyone here well enough to judge whether this person or that, to be "enlightened".

I certainly don't fit the bill.

If I was to choose anyone in this century or the last, dead or alive, then I would have to say Charles Schulz.

kerravon

Anti-subjugator
Does anyone on this forum claim to be enlightened?
Yes, it is the changing of faultlines. See here:

http://www.mutazilah.org/enlight.htm

Perhaps you could start by explaining what enlightenment is to you, how you achieved it, how you know you achieved it, and what it is like.
It was achieved by clearing my brain of everything I had been taught and embracing science. Dropping all loyalties. It causes your brain to change.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A revolting ode to low expectations
or.....don't be put'n on airs else you get yer come uppance

If any said they were enlightened,
then surely they'd soon become frightened.
Because if they are
this would raise the bar
and scrutiny then would be heightened.

uberrobonomicon4000

I will respond anyway, since I'm fixing to log.

Basically enlightenment is a state of full consciousness where you are fully aware of everything (i.e. your natural surroundings).

This is what leads people to acquire knowledge and understanding without any scientific methods.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I will respond anyway, since I'm fixing to log.
Basically enlightenment is a state of full consciousness where you are fully aware of everything (i.e. your natural surroundings).
This is what leads people to acquire knowledge and understanding without any scientific methods.
If I became enlightened, would I know to step aside before things fall on my head?
Enlightenment would be useful.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jiddu Krishnamurti took the interesting position that knowledge -- at least some forms of knowledge -- could impede or prevent enlightenment.

apophenia

Jiddu Krishnamurti took the interesting position that knowledge -- at least some forms of knowledge -- could impede or prevent enlightenment.

Perhaps he was referring to what buddha referred to when he said "you can't satisfy your hunger with a picture of a cake".

Maybe you could expand on that idea - what Mr K meant, based on your reading, and how you relate to that, or what you observe in people.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
In terms of having obtained awareness of my ignorance, I suppose in many ways I have transcended my previous assumption of certainty of knowledge - I have obtained the wisdom of recognizing my limitations and maintaining the desire to further my comprehension whilst I appreciate that such remains completely fallible.

ruffen

The problem with being enlightened is if that means that you think you know all there is to know. In that case the enlightened person is actually quite ignorant.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I think the idea is that the intellect can go in circles, endlessly repeating what others have said, and one has to go beyond that so knowledge comes up from within. The irony here is that some people view Krishnamurtio himself as more of a gifted intellectual than an enlightened mystic.