• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is God?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Kindly, would you please translate? I see the names, but what do they mean?
Hopefully there's something deeper that can be brought from these names.
Like almost all names, human or otherwise, they're mostly adjectives.
Vishnu = pervading., because he is everywhere and in everything.
Krishna = dark (also means attractive, Sanskrit assigns many definitions to nouns).
Hari = one who steals/takes/removes (i.e. sins and suffering).
Rāma = from Rāmachandra meaning beautiful, bright, charming.
Nārāyana has a convoluted etymology. It has its roots in both Sanskrit and Tamil and may, in short, mean "He who rests on the waters". Vishnu is often depicted reclining on an enormous serpent on the cosmic ocean.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Like almost all names, human or otherwise, they're mostly adjectives.
Vishnu = pervading., because he is everywhere and in everything.
Krishna = dark (also means attractive, Sanskrit assigns many definitions to nouns).
Hari = one who steals/takes/removes (i.e. sins and suffering).
Rāma = from Rāmachandra meaning beautiful, bright, charming.
Nārāyana has a convoluted etymology. It has its roots in both Sanskrit and Tamil and may, in short, mean "He who rests on the waters". Vishnu is often depicted reclining on an enormous serpent on the cosmic ocean.
Thank you

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
That is an asset here. God is being described as an unanswered question.

Some people use neti-neti, some people describe God as a verb, I like to describe God as an unanswered question.
That is a good reflection on the nature of God. Thank you.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Only the tiniest bit aware of it. Feel free to share :)
I'm not too scholarly on the concept, but as I understand it, Brahman is true reality. All things combined, past present and future as a single unit or system. Putting it into words like this makes it sound like the universe is Brahman's body, when it's more correct to say everything is Brahman. Another way to describe it might be, that Brahman is the only thing that exists.

Any Hindus here may correct me @SalixIncendium

Also, Neti Neti is found in the Upanishads, which interests me that you used that as you are Jewish (Right? sorry if I'm wrong). Are you by chance into Kabbalah? I heard from sources (not necessarily reliable sources) that Kabbalah teachings have many similarities with Advaita Vedanta.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I'm not too scholarly on the concept, but as I understand it, Brahman is true reality. All things combined, past present and future as a single unit or system. Putting it into words like this makes it sound like the universe is Brahman's body, when it's more correct to say everything is Brahman. Another way to describe it might be, that Brahman is the only thing that exists.

OK. Thank you. Do you know how the singularity, "the only thing", is derived? In other words, why isn't it two, or three, or forty-two?

Any Hindus here may correct me @SalixIncendium

@Aupmanyav can you help with this? specifically why not 2, or 3, or 42 Brahman?

Also, Neti Neti is found in the Upanishads, which interests me that you used that as you are Jewish.

I heard about it here on RF.

Are you by chance into Kabbalah?

Yes, but also no.

I heard from sources (not necessarily reliable sources) that Kabbalah teachings have many similarities with Advaita Vedanta.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's true.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
"Who is God?" is a question that answers the question as to the existence of God. One must already accept that God exists if one has reached a level of questioning exactly Who God is.

I'm off to bed now, having just finished a nice glass of :wineglass:and feeling all warm and cozy. :)

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
god exists as an idea that is as unique and individual as the people who have ever imagined what this being must be like, imo

DNB

Christian
Question: Who is God?

Answer: Yes!

( Hint: The question is the answer. )
God is the sole creator of the entire universe, but who is transcendent from it, and who is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.
God is holy, and He is spirit, and He has created man in His image, which necessitates that man is a spiritual creature - comprehending issues that transcend the flesh and the secular, and allowing him to recognize and worship God.

God is a single minded entity, a personal being who can be related to, and is understood to be the Father - one who guides, provides and protects.
God is love, and He loves humans immensely, and only acts in a manner that is in their best interest, even if it leads to discipline, punishment or death.

Again, God is holy, so it is best that we be holy also, as to not attempt to displease Him, or defy His authority.