• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is God?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
God is the sole creator of the entire universe, but who is transcendent from it, and who is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.
God is holy, and He is spirit, and He has created man in His image, which necessitates that man is a spiritual creature - comprehending issues that transcend the flesh and the secular, and allowing him to recognize and worship God.

God is a single minded entity, a personal being who can be related to, and is understood to be the Father - one who guides, provides and protects.
God is love, and He loves humans immensely, and only acts in a manner that is in their best interest, even if it leads to discipline, punishment or death.

Again, God is holy, so it is best that we be holy also, as to not attempt to displease Him, or defy His authority.

Yeah, to me She is different than your version of God.

DNB

Christian
Grow up, leave the father fixation. The child has to be father (or mother) at some point of time.
It means the Father of all creation - the One who gives birth to all life - a child is a child, only because the Father created humans in the first place

Last edited by a moderator:

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
The monotheism you speak of is a piece of technology that will awaken and animate ultimate nature, The Omniverse, to have it plan and create the best possible realities for all life and existence. It will be nature creating and recreating itself. God is what nature is becoming.

DNB

Christian
Yeah, to me She is different than your version of God.
Males dominate all forms of life, there are only a very few exceptions where the female is biologically more powerful, or mentally. Thus, the exception is not the rule. Therefore, my understanding of God as a male is first, figurative, for God is spirit and has no anatomy in order to even try and distinguish His gender. And secondly, because masculinity denotes leadership, protector, provider, sovereign and supreme.

I would question anyone's impression that God is female in any sense of the term, for nature and creation do not warrant it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Males dominate all forms of life, there are only a very few exceptions where the female is biologically more powerful, or mentally. Thus, the exception is not the rule. Therefore, my understanding of God as a male is first, figurative, for God is spirit and has no anatomy in order to even try and distinguish His gender. And secondly, because masculinity denotes leadership, protector, provider, sovereign and supreme.

I would question anyone's impression that God is female in any sense of the term, for nature and creation do not warrant it.

Yeah, I know. We think differently, but I doubt how we think, decides what God is.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Question: Who is God?

Answer: Yes!

( Hint: The question is the answer. )
"Who is God?" is what lawyers call a leading question ─ "Do you still beat your wife" is the famous example. That is, both questions contain a not clearly expressed assumption.

The hidden assumption needs to be dealt with first, so your interrogation should be ─

Is God?

If so, who?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
"Who is God?" is what lawyers call a leading question ─ "Do you still beat your wife" is the famous example. That is, both questions contain a not clearly expressed assumption.

The hidden assumption needs to be dealt with first, so your interrogation should be ─n

Is God?

If so, who?

An another hidden assumptions is if that can be answered as a positive or negative? Some people regards of religion or not, think that everything can be answered as true or false and don't accept unknown as a valid answer based on reason. Or even that reason is limited and can't answer everything as known as either true or false.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An another hidden assumptions is if that can be answered as a positive or negative? Some people regards of religion or not, think that everything can be answered as true or false and don't accept unknown as a valid answer based on reason. Or even that reason is limited and can't answer everything as known as either true or false.
Good point.

What real thing is meant to be denoted by the word 'God'?

If we find a real suspect, what objective test will determine whether our suspect is God or not?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Good point.

What real thing is meant to be denoted by the word 'God'?

If we find a real suspect, what objective test will determine whether our suspect is God or not?

Well, as far as I can tell with you guys and gals it ends here:
P1: There is no objective evidence for God using an objective methodology.
C: Therefore it is in effect to believe in God wrong, irrational, delusional, unreal and what not.

The joke is, that that as C is invalid as per reason and without evidence as being objective and real. But that doesn't stop you. Because it can't be doubted if reason has a limit for what can be done with it. In effect you are Gods with your claims of Objective, Real Reason.
But I still will not bow to you, because that what you claim, is not a real thing. ;)

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, as far as I can tell with you guys and gals it ends here:
P1: There is no objective evidence for God using an objective methodology.
Nope.
P1: There is no definition of a God having objective existence, such that if we found a suspect with objective existence we could determine whether it was God or not.
P2: The only way in which things without objective existence are known to exist is as concepts or things imagined in individual brains.
C: Therefore if God exists then God exists as the set of all concepts of "God" in each of the relevant brains

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Nope.
P1: There is no definition of a God having objective existence, such that if we found a suspect with objective existence we could determine whether it was God or not.
P2: The only way in which things without objective existence are known to exist is as concepts or things imagined in individual brains.
C: Therefore if God exists then God exists as the set of all concepts of "God" in each of the relevant brains

Yes. That is a case of what is, now play ought of what we ought to do.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. That is a case of what is, now play ought of what we ought to do.
As for what we ought to do, we might look at the history of religion across all tribes and nations going back as far as we can, and examine why belief in gods has been so common ─ and at the same time has occurred with so very very many different versions. Even in Christianity there are certainly hundreds, and in the opinion of some who've had a close look, many thousands, of different versions of Christianity alone, before we get o the other religions. I have some views on the subject, but they won't surprise you.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
As for what we ought to do, we might look at the history of religion across all tribes and nations going back as far as we can, and examine why belief in gods has been so common ─ and at the same time has occurred with so very very many different versions. Even in Christianity there are certainly hundreds, and in the opinion of some who've had a close look, many thousands, of different versions of Christianity alone, before we get o the other religions. I have some views on the subject, but they won't surprise you.

Yeah, we then do the same with your philosophy and other versions and learn what they all have in common. And then we figure out that nobody have solve the is-ought problem and that reason even as valid has a limit.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah, we then do the same with your philosophy and other versions and learn what they all have in common. And then we figure out that nobody have solve the is-ought problem and that reason even as valid has a limit.
The is-ought problem is not a problem, in that the questions it poses usually have no yes/no answers, but are value judgments. We learn from our researches that humans are born with an evolved range of moral tendencies (which I can list again for you if you wish) and, also from evolution, a conscience and a capacity for empathy. Since these evolved qualities are good for survival and breeding by making the benefits of local cooperation possible and available, we have somewhere to stand when we consider why those qualities and not others are present.

It's against that background, which in practice builds in conflicts of various kinds eg like of fairness and reciprocity vs respect for authority, that we consider the range and basis of human value judgments. But that doesn't objectively determine whether any of them is right or wrong, since such a determination equally involves value judgments.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Hmmm.

We make gods in our own image, and attribute to them the powers we want ourselves, So yes, your standard god is a father / protector / judge / provider / hunter / warrior and your standard goddess is desirable, looks after marriage, fertility, infants, the hearth, gathering, gardens, and crops.

Aphrodite thus has the one focus, sexual congress and fertility; and Hera is goddess of marriage. Athena, however, is not simply the guardian goddess of Athens, but also of wisdom and intellect (and of military tactics and strategy). Artemis is a hunter, expert with the bow. I'm rather fond of Sumer's Ninsun, "Wild Cow", who was Gilgamesh's mom, but in practical terms the world would be a better place if Athena had more followers.