• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is going to Hell?

Booko

Deviled Hen
That is not supported by the Bible, unless you are using some sort of incorrect interpretation.

Well, I agree with you FatMan, but as you probably know, it's some of the Christians who are telling me stuff like this. Heck, I've been hearing it from since I was just old enough to understand language. :shrug:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Mat 5:22
(22) But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Mar 9:43-50
(43) And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
(44) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
(45) And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
(46) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
(47) And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
(48) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
(49) For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
(50) Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.

Booko

Deviled Hen
John 6:40, "And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

These two verses don't make a strong case in themselves (I'd have to look at the wider context, but I'm off to drive in a couple minutes, sorry).

Anyway, these 2 are not strictly exclusionary. They address "who's in" but not "who's out."

FatMan

These two verses don't make a strong case in themselves (I'd have to look at the wider context, but I'm off to drive in a couple minutes, sorry).

Anyway, these 2 are not strictly exclusionary. They address "who's in" but not "who's out."

I know I'm a comedian, but do people have to ignore points I've already made??:D

Booko

Deviled Hen
I know I'm a comedian, but do people have to ignore points I've already made??:D

From my perspective, you hadn't yet made those points when I wrote my reply.

I noticed it a little later as I read downstream in this thread.

Hey, I'd like to see you say anything intelligent while you're surrounded by crazed Irish dancers kicking all about you for 3 hours straight! :slap:

Ðanisty

I've been planning for hell for quite awhile...lol. I figure by now, I've got a really nice condo waiting for me. The rest of you sinners are invited to come by for a barbecue. I'll send an invite when I get there.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ðanisty;884021 said:
I've been planning for hell for quite awhile...lol. I figure by now, I've got a really nice condo waiting for me. The rest of you sinners are invited to come by for a barbecue. I'll send an invite when I get there.

I'll bring the tater salad. ;)

love

tri-polar optimist
I have never been what some would call brilliant and some times reading different opinions on RF just confuses me more. One thing I do believe in is a loving God (Creator).This belief will carry me into the next world.
I have a dear friend of some 25 years now who does not believe in God, yet he is one of the most giving people I have ever met. He believes when this life is over it is lights out (nothing).
I cannot see my loving God even thinking about sending him to hell.
I will quote the words of a song I was taught as a child.
Jesus loves the little children.
All little children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world.
I believe God sees us all as children with much to learn about His nature.
I believe also that true evil exists in this world, and I am no genius.
Evil has a place prepared for it and some of us call it hell.

thedictator

A Dictator of a Coach
" If God is willing to prevent evil, but is not able to Then He is not omnipotent. If He is able, but not willing Then He is malevolent. If He is both able and willing Then whence cometh evil? If He is neither able nor willing Then why call Him God?"

This often quoted statement is proof, that without some very extreem contortions by the religious community, a so called merciful God does not exist, therefore neither does the man made idea of hell, or heaven exist.

Sorry:sorry1: But not proof, it may be a belief system, but not proof. :thud:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Sorry:sorry1: But not proof, it may be a belief system, but not proof. :thud:

Thing is, in order to have tangible proof that something doesn't exist you would first have to consider it's existence in the first place. If something doesn't exist there wouldn't be any proof of it anyway. I realize that this may make no sense, but it makes perfect sense in my head.

I can say there is an invisible 6 inch tall female gnome walking up my wall in front of me, but as I have no proof to give you of it, and it makes no difference how strongly I believe it is there, you can not prove to me that it isn't there. Likewise, you may believe that there really is a place of fiery damnation that souls go to when they die if they have not fulfilled some requirements, but as you have no proof that such a place actually exists, one cannot prove to you otherwise that it doesn't.

Belief in the unprovable and intangible existences are in our heads. No physical proof exists to prove or disprove either way. While you could be right, there is no proof, and there is no proof you are wrong either. Same goes for all beliefs. That's why they are called beliefs and not facts.

FatMan

Hey, I'd like to see you say anything intelligent while you're surrounded by crazed Irish dancers kicking all about you for 3 hours straight! :slap:

Thanks. Now I have a mental image of Michael Flatley in tights while I'm eating my Cheerios.

I need to find a new favorite cereal.

kiobe

Thing is, in order to have tangible proof that something doesn't exist you would first have to consider it's existence in the first place. If something doesn't exist there wouldn't be any proof of it anyway. I realize that this may make no sense, but it makes perfect sense in my head.

I can say there is an invisible 6 inch tall female gnome walking up my wall in front of me, but as I have no proof to give you of it, and it makes no difference how strongly I believe it is there, you can not prove to me that it isn't there. Likewise, you may believe that there really is a place of fiery damnation that souls go to when they die if they have not fulfilled some requirements, but as you have no proof that such a place actually exists, one cannot prove to you otherwise that it doesn't.

Belief in the unprovable and intangible existences are in our heads. No physical proof exists to prove or disprove either way. While you could be right, there is no proof, and there is no proof you are wrong either. Same goes for all beliefs. That's why they are called beliefs and not facts.

Thanks, well put.
Since the non-existance of something is impossible to prove, the responsibility falls on the claimant to prove, with tangable facts, the existance. Again, since this cannot be done with factual information corroborating any biblical text, the logical conclusion is that it doesn't exist.

Ðanisty

Thanks, well put.
Since the non-existance of something is impossible to prove, the responsibility falls on the claimant to prove, with tangable facts, the existance. Again, since this cannot be done with factual information corroborating any biblical text, the logical conclusion is that it doesn't exist.
I don't see how this conclusion is any more logical than any other conclusion.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Ðanisty;884686 said:
I don't see how this conclusion is any more logical than any other conclusion.
Well, yes...but you're going to hell...;)
(I hope you know me better than that)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Ðanisty;884851 said:
Don't worry...you're invited to the barbecue too. :D You'll have to work out your own transportation though and make sure you have a passport. :yes:
Did hear there was a train going........:run: