• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Baha’u’llah, and How Can We Evaluate His Claims?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Please explain YOUR understanding of the "Embodiment of Remembrance".
Him Who is the Embodiment of that Remembrance amongst men is the Manifestation of God for this age, Baha'u'llah. It always helps to read it in context...

"His glory be with thee, inasmuch as thou hast journeyed from God unto God, and entered within the borders of the Court of unfading splendor—the Spot which mortal man can never describe. Therein hath the breeze of holiness, laden with the love of thy Lord, stirred thy spirit within thee, and the waters of understanding have washed from thee the stains of remoteness and ungodliness. Thou hast gained admittance into the Paradise of God’s Remembrance, through thy recognition of Him Who is the Embodiment of that Remembrance amongst men.

Wherefore, be thankful to God, for having strengthened thee to aid His Cause, for having made the flowers of knowledge and understanding to spring forth in the garden of thine heart. Thus hath His grace encompassed thee, and encompassed the whole of creation. Beware, lest thou allow anything whatsoever to grieve thee. Rid thyself of all attachment to the vain allusions of men, and cast behind thy back the idle and subtle disputations of them that are veiled from God. Proclaim, then, that which the Most Great Spirit will inspire thee to utter in the service of the Cause of thy Lord, that thou mayest stir up the souls of all men and incline their hearts unto this most blessed and all-glorious Court…."
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 303-303

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
As the Messengers have all asked us to do. They are the all the Fruits of that Message. We are to look at them, follow them and be as they were.

How is it possible not to Love all humanity, if we did that one thing?

Regards Tony
How do you evaluate Hinduism? The Baha'is act as if there is only one messenger, Krishna. So, what did he ask people to do? And where are you going to learn about Krishna? What Scriptures are you going to use? Are there any Scriptures in Hinduism that the Baha'is believe are true and authentic?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It seems like Baha'is think they are making things better by saying that "originally" the religions didn't have those contradictions but that the leaders of the religion added things in and misinterpreted things and now all the other religions have lost the "true" original message from the manifestation. But, to me, that's still saying, "We're right and all of you are wrong."
Baha'u'llah has the message for today. If a person disagrees with Baha'u'llah, they are wrong. It has nothing to do with any of the opinions of the Baha'is. If they disagree with Baha'u'llah, however, it is not the important thing. What is much more important is that they behave in a good way and are close to God.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The term oneness is never national.

As national man is self father represented already by nation only by DNA of life separated. As one man origin DNA was same father of everyone.

So it can't be country religious based origin.

If you say human rights. Everyone is a natural human in life body consciousness first.

We say human family is brother sister extended family my brother or sister.

If you say one man's beliefs. One woman is instantly involved too.

As man words inventor teacher theist said I speak on behalf of two.

In theism baby man adult his mother.sister.daughter claim.

Bodily he isn't her representative.

Therefore as our grand parents are great. Dual. Mutual. The elder of all families should represent humanity.

Not DNA religious theism nationality.

Just humanity not organisational control.

If you say family is mutual and oneness it was natural balanced mother father first. Humanity. Origin.

As organisation is always involved in national governing status.

Their spirituality wasn't preached. It was owned naturally first.

samtonga43

Him Who is the Embodiment of that Remembrance amongst men is the Manifestation of God for this age, Baha'u'llah. It always helps to read it in context...
Here is what I asked:
Please explain YOUR understanding of the "Embodiment of Remembrance".
Can you do this?

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Personally I haven't found those things in Baha'i faith at this moment. All Baha'is i know are very openminded
I agree that many religionists are better than the religion they follow. Some are unaware of the more distasteful elements in their scriptures.
However, it is a demonstrable fact that Bahai scripture contains sexist discrimination, homophobia and barbaric punishment. For people who fundamentally disagree with those things, maybe Bahaiism isn't the right ideology for them. For those genuinely seeking peace, unity and equality I would recommend Humanism.

KWED

Do religious people need non believers to correct every little move the religious person Do? No
Not irl, no. But this is a religious debate forum. If people make claims, they must expect them to be examined and possibly challenged.
It is also true that some religionists are blithely unaware of everything their "perfect" god, prophet, messenger, etc said and did. It sometimes seems that they disagree with it, which raises some rather important issues about the nature of belief.

KWED

I do not believe any of that,
But the evidence is clear, in religious scripture. You can't cherry-pick the infallible word of god or the teachings of his perfect messengers.

humans may be evil from time to time, in my personal view God is not evil, he created this world, and those who believe trying to obey Gods message.
If a doctor or policeman or teacher stood by and watched while someone in their care came to preventable harm, they would be sacked and possibly prosecuted.
Why should god be held to a lower standard than public servants?

KWED

I said:
The scripture came from the Messengers of God, either directly or indirectly.
The Messengers did not have a belief, they received A revelation from God.

I did not mean that the Messengers did not believe in God before they received a revelation from God, I meant that His scriptures were not based upon a belief, they were based upon a revelation from God.

Baha'u'llah was a Muslim before He got His revelation from God, Jesus was a Jew, so of course they believed in God.
So you accept that Bahaullah had an existing belief in a god who sent messengers, before he claimed to be a messenger of god.

KWED

It is true that I call out fallacies that certain people commit, but it is false that I was the FIRST ONE to call them out. All you have to do is use your Search tool to see that @samtonga43 is always the one who starts the dialogues about fallacies she 'believes' that I have committed. It is all over this forum. She has been doing this for over a year.

No, I am not denying reality and saying whatever suits me at any given time, I am just speaking the truth, and the proof is all over this forum. If you can prove me wrong, I will be the first one to admit it.

I only defend myself because it is unjust to accuse me falsely, and I have been accused falsely.

2: O SON OF SPIRIT! The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes. The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 3-4
My point wasn't about simply pointing out the use of informal fallacies. I often do it myself. There is nothing wrong with it.
My point was that you regularly make false accusations - presumably through a lack of understanding of what the fallacies are or how they apply.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I agree that many religionists are better than the religion they follow. Some are unaware of the more distasteful elements in their scriptures.
However, it is a demonstrable fact that Bahai scripture contains sexist discrimination, homophobia and barbaric punishment. For people who fundamentally disagree with those things, maybe Bahaiism isn't the right ideology for them. For those genuinely seeking peace, unity and equality I would recommend Humanism.
Or you focus to much in finding faults in other people and their beliefs to recognize your own shortcommings

KWED

You are creating a straw man.
I did not say my claim cannot be supported, I said that there is no proof' that will be universally accepted, and we can only prove the truth of the claim to ourselves.
I said:
That's true, but I have never refused to back up my claims with evidence, always stating that there is no 'proof' that will be universally accepted, and we can only prove the truth of the claim to ourselves.
And there you go again...
"I'm not saying that my claim can't be supported - I am saying that there is nothing I can say that will support my claim to others".
"I'm not saying that there is no evidence - I am saying that there is nothing that people will accept as evidence"

KWED

So that decision is subjective, based on god's own reasoning.

The knowledge comes from Himself. God knows everything by virtue of being all-knowing.
What God knows is not subjective.
And so the flip-flop begins...

If god knows things, then it is either knowledge that exists independently of him, or knowledge that god determined himself.
If "x is good" as an objective fact, then god cannot make x bad. If he cannot make x bad, and x=good is an objective fact, god is constrained by something external to him.
However, if god decides that "x is good", the he could have decided that "x is bad". It is subjective.

God could have chosen anything He wanted to choose but what God knows is based upon God being all-knowing and all-wise.
You are contradicting yourself. If god can choose anything, and there is no external knowledge that god's choice must correspond to, then his decisions are subjective.

No, the Messengers do not anthropomorphize themselves, humans who write scriptures (e.g. the Bible) anthropomorphize God.
Are you claiming that Bahaullah did not write the stuff attributed to him? Nor Muhammad?

God's message is not about the Messengers, it is about God's attributes and God's will which comes via the Messengers.
And those messengers always seem to anthropomorphise god.

Not like human feelings and emotions.
1. The messengers describe them like human feelings and emotions.
2. What are they like then? (I guess this is where you involve the "we can never understand god" cop put?)

It is not a straw man because I did not say that you claimed that God has a human, physical form.
You implied it by saying "they clearly state that this does not imply a human or physical form".
Why say this if you knew that no one was making that claim.

God cannot become a human because it is not within His nature to be human. God is spirit.
This is where your whole argument becomes incoherent.
You claim that we cannot understand the nature of god, yet you also claim to know the nature of god.
Co also claim to be able to determine what god can and can't do, despite god being able to do anything.

It is not either one of those.
It has to be one. (This is you diverging from reality again, when things get awkward)

God is not bound by any external forces.
So god decides what is right and wrong. Therefore right and wrong are subjective.

What is good and bad originates from God, but it is not subjective.
There goes rational thought again.

God simply knows what is good or bad because God is all-knowing.
For god to "know" something, that thing must exist independently of god.

KWED

Fact: The Bahai Faith (not Bahaiism)
Different terms for the same thing.

is "A very small and new religion, with relatively few followers". That is a demonstrable fact.
Which is one definition of a "cult", as I showed.

"followers, who blindly parrot the meaningless platitudes of their charismatic leader" -
Opinion: we repeatedly see Bahai's here quoting the vague platitudes of Bahaullah.

Fact: Bahai's are here quoting the Writings of Baha'u'llah.
So we agree on the substance, it is merely the description of scripture that varies.

I agree with it.
You have admitted that you do not understand why women are excluded from the UHJ, but you agree with the exclusion.
Thus confirming my "blindly parroting" claim.

Only the UHJ can answer that question. I would guess they will do so in due time, but there is no hurry because Baha'is are not upset about it. Should the UHJ amend the ruling just because some atheists don't like it.
You claim that the exclusion is an error, but you still agree with it.

I did not say "until there is a new message, women are excluded."
I said:
Abdu'l-Baha was referring to what was in place at the time of writing but that does not mean it will be in place forever.
Can committees of Bahais decide to change the messages of Bahaullah?

He did not intend to exclude women according to that website. That is what I believe.
*flip*
You just claimed that you agree with the exclusion.
Now you are saying that it is wrong.

That's right, we are Servants of God, the highest station a human can ever attain.
I though that was "Messenger of God"?
BTW, does Bahaullah ever refer to men as "handmen" or other similar lowly pejoratives?

I don't know and I don't care. It is not my job to run the Baha'i administration.
But you have spent much time here arguing that not only did Bahaullah intend a temporary exclusion, but also that he didn't intend an exclusion at all.

I accept whatever the UHJ decides upon.
But you don't "blindly parrot"?

It has become obvious to me that all you want to do is argue and I am not interested.
If you mean that I intend to challenge your irrational or contradictory or dubious claims, then yes. This is a religious debate forum. If you don't want to debate religion, then with all due respect - what are you doing here?

I did not claim it might change, it was only an opinion I have.
When you state your opinion on an issue, you are making a claim about it. You should spend less time on flawed semantics and pay more attention to your actual arguments.

I do not question authority as I know my proper place.
That's actually quite sad.

That is a straw man. I did not say "it's suddenly an acceptable source." I said the website is not a legitimate Baha'i website but there might be accurate information on the website.
If you cite a website in support of your argument, you are necessarily claiming it as an acceptable source.

Either/or is black and white thinking.
Indeed. Which is often not only valid, but necessary.
"But miss, marking 2+2=5 as wrong is just the black and white thinking fallacy". :tearsofjoy:

There can be accurate information on a source that is not generally reliable. For example, some Christian websites post accurate information about the Baha'i Faith, but there is also much inaccurate information about the Baha'i Faith on those websites.
If a source is generally not reliable, one does not use it as a source, even it it might get a few things right.

Why do you speak for me as if you know what I am thinking?
Because it isn't that difficult.

No, I did not say that. I do not assume the publicity is favourable because I assume everyone will accept my arguments. It is fully their choice what to accept or not accept.
So, if highlighting morally questionable elements of Bahaism is not "good publicity", why did you claim that it was?

That in no way implies tat we care what you think of the Baha'i Faith.
Kinda does.

We defend the Faith because that is what Baha'u'llah has enjoined us to do.
So he cared about what I think. So you have to as well.

I do not care what 'society in general' accepts, because I consider society corrupt and misguided.
The secular law has nothing to do with religion.
I only care what God accepts. I am therefore doing what God wants me to be doing since I try to follow what God has revealed through Baha'u'llah.
So basically the Nuremberg Defence. You are happy to ignore or reject what society or the law deems to be moral if it conflicts with what some 19th century Persian bloke said. Which is obvious by your support for sexist discrimination, homophobia and barbaric punishment.

But hold on. You have claimed that Bahaullah did not exclude women from the UHJ, but you still agree with and support the exclusion. *flop*

Nothing is conclusive. ALL you have is a personal opinion of the Baha'i Laws, nothing more. It is sad that you cannot understand that :( because it demonstrates that you can ONLY see one perspective -- yours.

I see it from your perspective, I just disagree with your perspective; but you don't just disagree with my perspective, you continually state your opinions about the Baha'i Faith as if they are facts. It is all throughout your posts.
Not so.
The gender discrimination, homophobia and barbaric punishments are facts. They are there in black and white in Bahai scripture.
Opinion only comes into it because I think those things are morally unacceptable, but you see than as morally acceptable.

I consider the issues on the basis of a variety of rational elements like empathy, altruism, Golden Rule, social benefit, etc.
Your position is based simply on obeying orders because you "know your place". (Although even then you seem confused as to what those orders actually are).

KWED

I can only guess it was because of a misunderstanding as to what Baha'u'llah intended based upon the mistranslation of the word rijal.
So when you said that you had explained why women are excluded, you were just making it up. It is just your opinion, that contradicts your own position, that Bahaullah did intend to exclude women. And that you agree with that exclusion.

KWED

ONLY in your opinion.
It is amazing you are so wrapped up in your own opinion that you cannot understand that other people have different opinions of the same Laws - A-mazing!
No. Bahai scripture demonstrably contains those things.
You just don't think that excluding women from certain jobs because of their gender is sexist discrimination.
You don't think that calling homosexuality "immoral" or "a shameful sexual aberration" is homophobic.
You don't think that burning people alive is barbaric.

And your only argument to support you position seems to be that because it is in Bahai scripture, it must be morally acceptable. But you don't blindly parrot Bahai dogma.

KWED

Because he thinks his understanding, which is only his opinion, is a fact.
It is not "my" understanding that:
Excluding women from certain jobs because of their gender is sexist discrimination.
Calling homosexuality "immoral" or "a shameful sexual aberration" is homophobic.
Burning people alive is barbaric.
These are accepted, social and legal norms in civilised society.

You may disagree, but if you rejected a female applicant for a job simply because she was a women, you would be sued under sexual discrimination laws. FACT!