• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was the best father you ever met?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
@Truthseeker
I grew up on looney toons too and I was born 2002! They showed episodes on cartoon network for a long time.

Edit: I dont think theyve ever stopped airing them. Maybe stopped making them but not airing them.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yep and if your dad is still alive, if you do something with him, it will feel like Father's Day for both of you.
My Dad is in a different state, I have a year of probation left, and have a few more months of CD treatment. I am going to ask them if I can take a pass to visit him this summer. He will be 72 this month, is only alive because of the miracle of modern medicine. Without it, he would have been dead 10 years ago.

I will call him throughout the weekend. He surprised me the last time we talked and he said "call more often". It gave me hope that his life can end with us on good terms. His heart has been broken badly. He kidnapped me after my mom won custody, to try to raise me across the ocean at Fatima Portugal.

He did so out of love because it would have protected the morals of children raised in an environment like mom. He was right about that, even if kidnapping was not legal. He was risking his freedom, prison time, felony kidnapping, to do what he felt his conscience and love demanded of him.

It actually turned out to be the best thing for me.
:heart:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hey, I sent a Happy Birthday message to my daughter in law, who has been married to my son for TEN YEARS, and it was a month, a whole month late. Well, three weeks late. I don't know how I got that so confused but somehow or another I did. She laughed and corrected me and told me that every day feels like a birthday to her, which was sweet but still...

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey, I sent a Happy Birthday message to my daughter in law, who has been married to my son for TEN YEARS, and it was a month, a whole month late. Well, three weeks late. I don't know how I got that so confused but somehow or another I did. She laughed and corrected me and told me that every day feels like a birthday to her, which was sweet but still...
I still say that's pretty good. My mom always forgets mine. :D

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
And your mom was there! Pretty important day for her, I'd think!
My mom's a nice person, but lost interest in being 'mom' when I was about 15.

I was lucky; I was mostly done with my formative years. My two younger sisters weren't as fortunate. I pretty much raised the youngest one, until she ran away to the East Coast in her teens.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

A couple of years ago we sent a birthday card and present to the UK.
We usually send about a month before, it often there within a couple of weeks but sometimes it can take close to a month.
This time we thought it was lost but actually turned up four months late (5 months after posting) with postal stamps from Germany, Turkey, Spain, back to France then it arrived it England.

Kathryn

My mom's a nice person, but lost interest in being 'mom' when I was about 15.

I was lucky; I was mostly done with my formative years. My two younger sisters weren't as fortunate. I pretty much raised the youngest one, until she ran away to the East Coast in her teens.
Well, I'm sorry to hear that about your sister but I pray she has found some peace and maybe gotten some counseling.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I'm sorry to hear that about your sister but I pray she has found some peace and maybe gotten some counseling.
Running away was probably a good thing for my sister to do... she had a place to go. She lived there for a long time... she started falling apart in her 20s. Came back, got real bad, but seems to be putting things back together again.

Mom found the life she always wanted at the bar, full of buddies.

Here's a post I wrote a long time ago about my mom, though knowing ahead of time who its about ruins it!

Kathryn

I am so, so sorry you went through that! My mom wasn't like that, but she was bipolar 1 at the very least (the worst form of bipolar disorder). She was also beautiful and artistic and my dad was crazy about her for many years. She was a good person, which helped but didn't really shield us kids from her behavior. It just sort of kept it in check, sort of.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I am so, so sorry you went through that! My mom wasn't like that, but she was bipolar 1 at the very least (the worst form of bipolar disorder). She was also beautiful and artistic and my dad was crazy about her for many years. She was a good person, which helped but didn't really shield us kids from her behavior. It just sort of kept it in check, sort of.
Mom was a cakewalk compared to dad. Angry tyrant who seemed to live to torment us...

Thankfully, Dad grew up. He's a decent man now, but it took him a long time to learn that if he treated friends and family poorly, he wouldn't have them anymore.

Kathryn

Mom was a cakewalk compared to dad. Angry tyrant who seemed to live to torment us...

Thankfully, Dad grew up. He's a decent man now, but it took him a long time to learn that if he treated friends and family poorly, he wouldn't have them anymore.
It's weird because I stayed awake last night for a long time thinking about how cruel my exhusband used to be. He is single again and so am I but there is simply no way I could ever get beyond what he did to the kids and me. I especially remember my daughter when she was about 4 and how he made her climb under the crib and pull out the cat. I wouldn't do that even now! He beat her till she did it, and then took her to work with him the next day, weirdo.

Thankfully my kids saw through him and I divorced him, but not until he had done some damage to all of us.