• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Christians so sexually insecure?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
so, in other words, you're looking for a life that has very limited possibilities?

Interesting!
Wow.

You are like my youngest daughter.
She also suffers from moments of merely talking when she has no idea what is going on.
imgres

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It's interesting how different couples build trust and intimacy differently. We haven't got any restrictions on what we can do whether together or apart. I even shared a flat with a close male friend for a month making a film in another city. I would never do anything to hurt him and he knows it. We make no effort to avoid temptation. We just trust each other to have enough backbone to do the right thing regardless of the circumstances.

We don't look at these as "restrictions." It's not some law we laid down to the other. These are mutually agreed upon parameters. All relationships have parameters.

These have nothing to do with how much or how little we trust each other. They have everything to do with how much we RESPECT each other.

We both have been married before to unfaithful partners. We know the slippery slope that led to the demise of those relationships all too well.

As I said, these aren't restrictions - but they are cautions put into place by both of us because we cherish our relationship and therefore feel protective of it.

Alceste - all sorts of things go into a relationship. Age, experience, history, the length of time people have been together, and the amount of time people spend together, or apart - all of these different dynamics come into play.

This is precisely why I don't spend much time trying to analyze, or pass judgment on, the relationships of others.

When a couple is apart more than they are together, this SIGNIFICANTLY changes the dynamics, and the expectation of how our time is spent together - and apart. Remember - my husband is gone at LEAST half the time - gone as in 1000 miles away.

One final note - we didn't decide on any of this in order to build trust and intimacy. We already have trust and intimacy down pat with each other. We are truly soulmates, and best friends - with benefits.

pwfaith

We don't look at these as "restrictions." It's not some law we laid down to the other. These are mutually agreed upon parameters. All relationships have parameters.

These have nothing to do with how much or how little we trust each other. They have everything to do with how much we RESPECT each other.

We both have been married before to unfaithful partners. We know the slippery slope that led to the demise of those relationships all too well.

As I said, these aren't restrictions - but they are cautions put into place by both of us because we cherish our relationship and therefore feel protective of it.

Alceste - all sorts of things go into a relationship. Age, experience, history, the length of time people have been together, and the amount of time people spend together, or apart - all of these different dynamics come into play.

This is precisely why I don't spend much time trying to analyze, or pass judgment on, the relationships of others.

When a couple is apart more than they are together, this SIGNIFICANTLY changes the dynamics, and the expectation of how our time is spent together - and apart. Remember - my husband is gone at LEAST half the time - gone as in 1000 miles away.

One final note - we didn't decide on any of this in order to build trust and intimacy. We already have trust and intimacy down pat with each other. We are truly soulmates, and best friends - with benefits.

Well said Kathryn!
:clap

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I personally hate the way the world is so complacent about sex. It's no longer seen as something special, cherished, or treasured. That said, I can see why those who don't see it that way, don't understand the religious view that it is. In our faith, it is something that bonds a couple together in a unique way - emotionally, spiritually, psychologically and physically. And that union is special and designed to work in unison perfectly in marriage.
Personally, I think that sex outside a religiously sanctioned union is more about not seeing the religion as special than it is about not seeing sex as special.

Speaking for myself, I consider sex (and sexuality in general, now that I think about it) to be special and important, but I don't give a rat's hind quarters about what any church thinks about my sex life, and I certainly don't feel the need to get a religious endorsement of my sexual practices before I engage in them.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Personally, I think that sex outside a religiously sanctioned union is more about not seeing the religion as special than it is about not seeing sex as special.

Speaking for myself, I consider sex (and sexuality in general, now that I think about it) to be special and important, but I don't give a rat's hind quarters about what any church thinks about my sex life, and I certainly don't feel the need to get a religious endorsement of my sexual practices before I engage in them.

When I was a practicing Christian, I was much more complacent about sex than I am now. :yes:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sex is an important part of life, but I don't know what good it does to idealize it.

For me, that was what made me complacent. I was certainly insecure about how the beliefs I tried desperately to have went contrary to my sexuality, but the idea was that I would save myself for marriage, that I wasn't to see my sexuality as a "good" thing except within the bonds of a heterosexual marriage, and that I shouldn't give much thought to it.

I was a walking bag of hormones, though, and I struggled with my desires within the context of Bible study groups, countless masses and confessions, etc. :D

My complacency came from denying who I was attracted to, what my fantasies consisted of, and any and all pursuits until I left the Christian community at 22. And since I denied a HUGE portion of who I am and what I like....I wound up sleeping with whoever thought I was pretty or worthwhile.

That's complacency. Just couldn't continue living a life in relationships without value, care, attention, affection, and honesty.

Walkntune

seeming that Christianity developed from Paganism why are most Christians so hung up on the sex issue? Correct me if I"m wrong but I'm sure this isn't the case with Paganism.

For instance, pre-marital sex is NOT banned in Paganism, right?

I know you can interpret the Bible in many ways but the general consensus among most Christians is that Pre-marital and homosexuality is a big no no (even though Jesus certainly never directly mentions pre-marital).

This is a big turn-off (excuse the pun) to Christianity for me which is a shame as some of the philosophy is good.

Surely men and women were made with biological instincts so what's the problem with the Christians and what are they scared of?
Its not sex itself that creates any problems but its the intentions of the heart.There is a huge difference between acting out in lust and acting out in love.
To act out in lust is to take from the other person and to make love is actually a giving of yourself to the other person.The Bible speaks of married couples given of themselves to each other.Not taking from each other.

Last edited:
God is Most Merciful and He knows what is good and what is bad for us. He knows that abundant fornication leads to abortions, unwanted children, single parents, sexually transmitted diseases etc. So He disallowed sexual relations without commitment.

A man, if he wishes to fulfill his desires as his "right" as a man , must also fulfil his responsibilities as a man. Otherwise women will be used and abused, with no consequence.

The vow of marriage is something that prevents the above, if adhered to.

Unfortunatly, even though the religion Jesus came with was not taken from pagans, nor was it an unjust religion, the Christians of the future went into extremes. They firstly placed the blame of Adam and Eve's fall on Eve alone. They then blamed all women as a result of this and saw her as something less than a complete person.

They celebrated the religiousness/piety of an individual if he was celibate even though God created man and woman with certain roles and responsibitlies. (They abandoned marriage for the "pious" and permitted it for those "less" pious. Already therefore filtering out "good seed". A number of things put women in a position different to that of man.)

Sex was forbidden to be talked about, and it became a taboo.

If people were given the correct "sex education" from a young age, meaning that you should guard your modesty and lower your gaze, and only engage in sexual relations with your wife, then fornication would not be so abundant.

No God didn't make us that way, sin did, unless of course you do not believe in sin.

God created everything both good and evil. He was the First, and He created everything when before it was not in existence.

By claiming that sin is something in existence, but God did not create it, you are indirectly claiming that there is something other than God who has the power to create. Who is this rival deity?

In reality, He (God) permitted man to do good and evil, and he legistlated that man should do good.