• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't some people accept that the Israelites were black?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
The explanation that black Africans, as the "sons of Ham", were cursed, possibly "blackened" by their sins, was advanced only sporadically during the middle ages, but became increasingly common during the slave trade of the 18th and 19th centuries.

The Bible refers to Egypt as Ham.

Psalms 105:23 Then Israel entered Egypt; Jacob lived as an alien in the land of Ham.

Psalm 78:51 He struck down all the firstborn of Egypt, the firstfruits of manhood in the tents of Ham. (NIV)

Im not sure there are many Jews who like ham :rolleyes:
DSCN2418_l.jpg

Rakhel

The explanation that black Africans, as the "sons of Ham", were cursed, possibly "blackened" by their sins, was advanced only sporadically during the middle ages, but became increasingly common during the slave trade of the 18th and 19th centuries.

The Bible refers to Egypt as Ham.

Psalms 105:23 Then Israel entered Egypt; Jacob lived as an alien in the land of Ham.

Psalm 78:51 He struck down all the firstborn of Egypt, the firstfruits of manhood in the tents of Ham. (NIV)
Where does it say Ham was black?

Where does it say Ham was black?
According to Zondervan's Compact Bible Dictionary listed under Ham it defines as such:

He became the progenitor of the dark races; not the Negroes, but the Egyptians, Ethiopians, Libyans and Canaanites

Throughout scripture Israel is described as physically looking like the sons of Ham (Khawm), in appearance. Ham (Khawm) in Hebrew means BLACK, HOT AND BURNT. Ham sons are the people of the African continent, the Ancient Egyptians, Ethiopians, Somalia's, Canaanites etc.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Because those are not facts. They were a semitic group, but they were not black. They would have been darker, but they would have been the same color as Arabs today.

Also, African American slaves were not descended from Israelites. There really is no evidence of that, and sounds like nothing more than some conspiracy theory.

Again, people don't accept those ideas because they are not becoming common knowledge, and aren't even true.

Yes, what facts?

I mean I don't care really. But what facts?
Saying something is a fact doesn't make it one.

Rakhel

According to Zondervan's Compact Bible Dictionary listed under Ham it defines as such:

He became the progenitor of the dark races; not the Negroes, but the Egyptians, Ethiopians, Libyans and Canaanites

Throughout scripture Israel is described as physically looking like the sons of Ham (Khawm), in appearance. Ham (Khawm) in Hebrew means BLACK, HOT AND BURNT. Ham sons are the people of the African continent, the Ancient Egyptians, Ethiopians, Somalia's, Canaanites etc.
I don't know why I am arguing this, I don't read Christian dictionaries, so your claim that Ham being black is biblical tradition is wrong because it is not part of my biblical tradition. Ham was Egyptian but was not of the "chosen," because Abraham was not of Ham. He was of Shem. That is my biblical tradition.
However, that is not to say that descendants of Ham did not accept the Torah and intermarry with the tribe of Dan.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Egyptologist Cheikh Anta Diop invented a method for determining the level of melanin in the skin of human beings. When conducted on Egyptian mummies in the Museum of Man in Paris, this test indicated these remains were of Black people.

Also, the Bible states: "…[t]he sons of Ham [were] Cush and Mizraim [i.e. Egypt], and Phut, and Canaan. And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah and Sabtechah."

According to Biblical tradition, Ham, of course, was the father of the Black race. "Generally speaking all Semitic tradition (Jewish and Arab) class ancient Egypt with the countries of the Black."

So there were Blacks in Egypt, there were light skin people as well as a mixture of skin tones.

I don't see the Bible as a reliable source of history.

Again I don't care, just there seems little reason to accept on view over another except for personal bias.

And if the Israelites were black what does it matter? Why should it matter, who cares?

...Ham was Egyptian but was not of the "chosen," because Abraham was not of Ham. He was of Shem...
Throughout scripture Israel is described as physically looking like the sons of Ham in appearance. Black Paul is mistaken for an "Egyptian" and declares he himself to be a "Jew." (Acts 21:37-39, 22: 2,3) Also, when Joseph's ten brothers came into Egypt they were brought before him. Joseph recognized his brothers, but they didn't recognize him (Genesis 42:1-8).

Since the ancient Egyptians were a black people, Joseph had to be black also. If Joseph and the Hebrews look like Donny Osmond or somebody, his brothers would have recognized him easily among the black Egyptians!

A

angellous_evangellous

Throughout scripture Israel is described as physically looking like the sons of Ham in appearance. Black Paul is mistaken for an "Egyptian" and declares he himself to be a "Jew." (Acts 21:37-39, 22: 2,3) Also, when Joseph's ten brothers came into Egypt they were brought before him. Joseph recognized his brothers, but they didn't recognize him (Genesis 42:1-8).

Since the ancient Egyptians were a black people, Joseph had to be black also. If Joseph and the Hebrews look like Donny Osmond or somebody, his brothers would have recognized him easily among the black Egyptians!

Infallible reasoning if ever there were! Amazing!

So there were Blacks in Egypt, there were light skin people as well as a mixture of skin tones.

I don't see the Bible as a reliable source of history.

Again I don't care, just there seems little reason to accept on view over another except for personal bias.

And if the Israelites were black what does it matter? Why should it matter, who cares?
If a people lose the knowledge of who they are, they have lost the knowledge of their Nationality, History and Heritage. A people without a History is a people that doesn't exist.

A

angellous_evangellous

If a people lose the knowledge of who they are, they have lost the knowledge of their Nationality, History and Heritage. A people without a History is a people that doesn't exist.

A people who makes up their history exists triumphantly.

Infallible reasoning if ever there were! Amazing!
Moses lived amongst the Egyptians for years and one day when he saw an Egyptian abusing a Hebrew, he came to the aide of the Hebrew and killed the Egyptian. Knowing that the word would get out and back to Pharaoh, he fled Egypt and went to the land of Midian. Upon entering Midian he came to the aide of some women of the land and helped them. They were very grateful and ran back and told their father that an "Egyptian" saved them.

Again, if he was mistaking for an Egyptian, and knowing that the Egyptians are black, does this not make Moses black too? This shouldn't be rocket science, though some might make it so.

A people who makes up their history exists triumphantly.
1 Maccabees 3:48 "And laid open the book of the law, wherein the heathen had sought to paint the likeness of their images."

The willful and systematic destruction of 'African' art has also occurred in the Americas, Asia and India: Inscriptions and hieroglyphics are defaced or bleached, noses are shot off or chiseled down, confusing nomenclatures are pasted over the evidence, photos are taken from misleading angles or filters, and some evidence is outright destroyed. Europeans replaced the African inscriptions with new ones that credited themselves for the achievement.

Rakhel

Throughout scripture Israel is described as physically looking like the sons of Ham in appearance. Black Paul is mistaken for an "Egyptian" and declares he himself to be a "Jew." (Acts 21:37-39, 22: 2,3)
Haven't read Acts. It's not part of my Canon. Further, it is my understanding, from what I have learned here, is that Paul was Greek.
Also, when Joseph's ten brothers came into Egypt they were brought before him. Joseph recognized his brothers, but they didn't recognize him (Genesis 42:1-8).

:facepalm: Because they were his brother. They shared the same father, Joseph. That does not suggest they were black. It does suggest that it had been a number of years since they had seen their younger bother and he had changed. Futher, since the brother sold their brother, Joseph, into slavery...

OMG did I just say "the brothers sold Joseph into slavery?

It would make perfect sense, to those paying attention to FACTS, at least BIBLICAL FACTS, that the brothers would not expect Joseph to be a Viceroy to the Pharaoh. So no they wouldn't recognize their brother, where he would recognize them.

I shall facepalm once more :facepalm:

A

angellous_evangellous

1 Maccabees 3:48 "And laid open the book of the law, wherein the heathen had sought to paint the likeness of their images."

The willful and systematic destruction of 'African' art has also occurred in the Americas, Asia and India: Inscriptions and hieroglyphics are defaced or bleached, noses are shot off or chiseled down, confusing nomenclatures are pasted over the evidence, photos are taken from misleading angles or filters, and some evidence is outright destroyed. Europeans replaced the African inscriptions with new ones that credited themselves for the achievement.

Plagiarized from Blacked out Through Whitewash

(and elsewhere available online)

A

angellous_evangellous

Moses lived amongst the Egyptians for years and one day when he saw an Egyptian abusing a Hebrew, he came to the aide of the Hebrew and killed the Egyptian. Knowing that the word would get out and back to Pharaoh, he fled Egypt and went to the land of Midian. Upon entering Midian he came to the aide of some women of the land and helped them. They were very grateful and ran back and told their father that an "Egyptian" saved them.

Again, if he was mistaking for an Egyptian, and knowing that the Egyptians are black, does this not make Moses black too? This shouldn't be rocket science, though some might make it so.

Plagiarized from The Hebrew People of the Bible What Color are They?

Also available many other places online

A

angellous_evangellous

Stolen from THE PHYSICAL APPEARANCE OF ANCIENT ISRAEL THE HEBREWS

But available many other places online.

Rakhel

So how many offenses of plagiarism gets one restricted on this forum?

we are up to 3
who's got 4? anyone? anyone?
4? 4?

A

angellous_evangellous

It is quickly becoming common knowledge to people waking up that the Israelites were indeed a black people. It is also understood that many (if not most or all) blacks of slave descent are Israelites as well.

Why is it that in light of such information, people have such a hard time accepting these facts?

It's becoming clear that with the possible exception of the OP, all of your other posts are plagiarized from one or a few other websites.

Tell me, should we be mindless bots and fight spam with spam?