• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create evil?

javajo

From: Did God Create Evil? Does the Bible Say So?Evidence for God from Science: Christian Apologetics

Did God Create Evil - Does the Bible Say So?
by Rich Deem

Introduction

One of the most common reasons skeptics reject the existence of God is due to the presence of evil in this universe. They reason that a perfect God would not create a universe in which evil exists. Skeptics claim that since God created everything that God must have also created evil. They even cite Bible verses, such as:
  • I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7, KJV)
  • Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it? (Amos 3:6, KJV)
  • Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? (Lamentations 3:38)
However, evil is not really a created thing. You can't see, touch, feel, smell or hear evil. It is not one of the fundamental forces of physics, nor does it consist of matter, energy, or the spatial dimensions of the universe. Still, skeptics like to claim that God created evil and cite the Bible to "prove" their point. The Bible is quite clear that God is not the author of evil and insists that He is incapable of doing so.1

Love that King James translation!

Skeptics love the KJV so much, one would think that they were still back in medieval England. Use of this translation is problematic these days, since it uses an archaic version of modern English, which doesn't necessarily mean the same things today as when it was translated over 400 years ago. In addition, the KJV was produced using a limited number of medieval manuscripts that did not represent the earliest Alexandrian set of manuscripts.

What do the modern translations say?

• The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these. (Isaiah 45:7, NASB)
  • I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7, NIV)
Isaiah 45:7 contrasts opposites. Darkness is the opposite of light. However, evil is not the opposite of peace. The Hebrew word translated "peace" is shâlôm,2 which has many meanings, mostly related to the well being of individuals. Râ‛âh,3 the Hebrew word translated "evil" in the KJV often refers to adversity or calamity. There are two forms of the word. Strong's H7451a most often refers to moral evil, whereas Strong's H7451b (the form used here) most often refers to calamity or distress. Obviously, "calamity" is a better antonym of "peace" than "evil."

Amos 3:6

• If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people tremble? If a calamity occurs in a city has not the LORD done it? (Amos 3:6, NASB)
  • When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble? When disaster comes to a city, has not the LORD caused it? (Amos 3:6, NIV)
Likewise, Amos 3:6 uses the same word, râ‛âh, referring to calamity or disaster. the context (a disaster happening to a city) does not refer to moral evil.

Lamentations 3:38

The King James Version of Lamentations 3:38 seems to suggest that God speaks both good and evil. However, if one reads the verse in context, the preceding verses indicate that God does not do or approve of evil.4 The verse following indicates that people should not complain in view of their sins.5 What the verse really is saying that God decrees times of good things and times of judgment. Lamentations was written by Jeremiah during a time of judgment, when Judah had gone off into exile. Jeremiah was chosen by God to be the prophet to tell Judah to reform or be judged. The people did not believe Jeremiah, and, therefore, fell under God's judgment. In Lamentations 3:38, the word translated "good" is ṭôb (Strong's H2896).6 The word usually refers to good things5 as opposed to bad things. Again, râ‛âh3 does not refer to moral evil, but calamities, in this verse. Likewise, the Bible commentaries indicate that the verse refers to God's judgment based upon people's sin.7

Conclusion

God is not the author of evil.8 However, God does reward and punish on the basis of good and bad behavior. Therefore, God does bring judgment and calamity (either directly or through human authorities) on those who rebel.9 God will ultimately judge all people, since rebels will not be allowed in the new, perfect creation.

Related Pages

idav

Being
Premium Member
Conclusion

God is not the author of evil.8 However, God does reward and punish on the basis of good and bad behavior. Therefore, God does bring judgment and calamity (either directly or through human authorities) on those who rebel.9 God will ultimately judge all people, since rebels will not be allowed in the new, perfect creation.

God drew the line and said if you cross it you will be punished. If he didn't draw a line there wouldn't be good or evil.

Skwim

Veteran Member
When all else fails there's always the
Shotgun-Defense-300x199.jpg

Shotgun Defense

javajo

When all else fails there's always the
Shotgun-Defense-300x199.jpg

Shotgun Defense
Forgive the copy/paste, I enjoyed the article and felt it explained how these passages show that God doesn't create evil, but does judge the wicked. It contains links to other questions of the same ilk, as well.

javajo

you can say the same about good.
True. That's why, God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Gen. 1:31). All he saw, like trees and animals and rivers, etc. was very good. That's why I don't believe God "created" evil or good, but he did create trees, animals and rivers and his Creation was very good, no sin, so no death, suffering, etc. We did that to ourselves, its not God's fault. Honestly I would never have thought to ask such a question about God, whom I understand is Love. I believe its just something people throw out there to justify their unbelief. But we all know right from wrong, its written in our hearts, and we do have the wondrous Creation that shows us we do have a Creator, so we are without excuse. That's my belief.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Not even sure what you're disagreement is, but okay.

Glipper is glipper. Knowledge is clear about this.

Why must I communicate with you about glipper? Again I don't need to have basic understanding to know what glipper is. A definition of glipper will likely show up fuzzy to you, as it is very fuzzy when judgment of glipper enters into the mind.
because if you don't, my argument still stands un-refuted...:curtsy:
and i've proven my point... knowldege is the foundation of understanding and judgement.

I don't believe I've experienced tomorrow. How would I comprehend this? Please explain.

you've experienced you don't know what tomorrow brings

Can you conceive of a word currently in use where the definition of that word was, at no point, made up?
what are you talking about? communication relies on mutual understanding of definitions

You have misunderstood what I said. It's okay. Time is on your side.
one wonders why you don't explain yourself.

Again, this is misunderstanding,
this has been my argument the entire time...
don't don't worry...i'll wait for you to catch up....

and I think misrepresenting, what I conveyed.
aren't you going to try to explain how i misrepresented what you have conveyed?

judgement is not the antithesis of knowledge, neither is understanding the antithesis of knowledge.
you don't know what it's like to be someone else do you...

Last edited:

Awoon

Heh. Jesus liked figs, it was that barren fig tree that was the problem. (there's a deeper meaning, there's a deeper meaning...shh, don't tell anyone...)

I aint talking about Jesus and that tree didnt have figs.

I'm talking about the "evil" figs of Jeremiah 24:8.

Evil Figs.:yes:

waitasec

Veteran Member
True. That's why, God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Gen. 1:31). All he saw, like trees and animals and rivers, etc. was very good. That's why I don't believe God "created" evil or good, but he did create trees, animals and rivers and his Creation was very good, no sin, so no death, suffering, etc. We did that to ourselves, its not God's fault. Honestly I would never have thought to ask such a question about God, whom I understand is Love. I believe its just something people throw out there to justify their unbelief. But we all know right from wrong, its written in our hearts, and we do have the wondrous Creation that shows us we do have a Creator, so we are without excuse. That's my belief.

you can't have good without evil...
you can have indifference.

javajo

I aint talking about Jesus and that tree didnt have figs.

I'm talking about the "evil" figs of Jeremiah 24:8.

Evil Figs.:yes:
Oh, lol. Well it was shown earlier that it just means they were bad, spoiled, you couldn't eat them. Figs are inanimate objects, they can't do evil. The people were evil, the figs were just rotten. :)

Blackdog22

Someday we'll have good without evil with us.

The idea that it is possible, yet God seems unable to achieve this is.... interesting.

According to my count God is 2/2 on failed creations. It started with the angels and then onto us. My bet is that Heaven won't be quite as shiny as we hope. Somehow evil will "appear" from nowhere and it will be because we can "choose" to do something that doesn't exist.

Afterall according to your logic evil wasn't made by God, but we somehow formed it by choice. So unless choice isn't possible in heaven then surely there must be evil?

Last edited:

IsmailaGodHasHeard

No offense, but that sounds rather stupid. What is it about receiving the love from something that obligates one to obey it? I love JoAnn therefore she should obey me! I love my president therefore he should obey me! This makes sense to you?

You are wrong. It is different with God.

javajo

The idea that it is possible, yet God seems unable to achieve this is.... interesting.

According to my count God is 2/2 on failed creations. It started with the angels and then onto us. My bet is that Heaven won't be quite as shiny as we hope. Somehow evil will "appear" from nowhere and it will be because we can "choose" to do something that doesn't exist.

Afterall according to your logic evil wasn't made by God, but we somehow formed it by choice. So unless choice isn't possible in heaven then surely there must be evil?
The Bible says in 1 Cor. 15 that we will be changed to immortal and incorruptible. Incorruptible means sinless.

javajo

Then please, explain Satan, hell, and diseases in a way that ends with God being all-loving. I'd recommend starting with the diseases. They'll be easier.
When God made everything he saw it and said it was very good. No sin, hence no death, disease and suffering. We live in a fallen creation. But the time of restoration is nigh. Soon these things will be done away with.