• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create evil?

strikeviperMKII

How many invitations does it take before it's realized some one has no interest in joining the party?

One can only politely decline so many times.

The invitation is always there, whether you hear it from people or not. Maybe you should reassess what you think the 'party' is.

The invitation is always there, whether you hear it from people or not. Maybe you should reassess what you think the 'party' is.

OK. It's probably my own fault for believing that metaphor would suffiice.

I said:
How many invitations does it take before it's realised someone has no intrest in joining the party?

The meaning is:
I've explained it countless times so stop trying to save my soul ,trying to mold the laws of this country which is not a christian nation to fit in with your religious ideology and knocking on my front door early on weekends month after month because I'm not going to adopt your mode of belief.

I said:
One can only decline politely so many times.

The Meaning is:
It's getting old. I am a nice person ,really, but I'm on the verge of not being so nice.

I need to reassess what I think the party is?
I'm a 46 year old father with one kid in high school and the other ready for middle school, my wife and I are barely swinging the mortgage and we're in debt up to our arm pits. The party has been over for quite a while.
Hollow promises of the salvation of my eternal soul do not intrest me in the least.:)

rusra02

Premium Member
well you've got a problem then...
how would they know what bad meant if they hadn't tasted the forbidden fruit yet?

so where did evil come from?

They knew what was bad because God told them what was bad. To eat from the forbidden tree was not only wrong, it was death-dealing.

Evil comes from a person (spirit or human) allowing wrong desires to build in their heart. Thus a person who allows the desire to embezzle money from their employer acts upon that desire, does an evil thing (steals), and becomes a thief. Satan allowed his desire to be worshipped and his pride to cause him to become an opposer (Satan) and slanderer (Devil). "When under trial, let no one say "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone. But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death." (James 1:13-15)

rusra02

Premium Member
Does a rape victim choose to be raped? Or does God respect the rapist's right more than the victim's right to not be violated? In many ways, evil suppresses free choice. I'm also sure that all the victims of the Holocaust did not chose to be sent to concentration camps and executed.

The perpetrators of evil make the choice to do evil. You are correct in saying the wicked trample upon the rights of their victims. Of course, God is not responsible for the evil done by men. God's law makes it clear that rape and murder are evil. Those engaging in evil will be destroyed at God's due time. (Psalms 37:10,11)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If god created everything then he also created our negative attributes. Or at least gave us a capacity to develop these negative attributes. Also if angels are more intelligent then why did they rebel?

I thought that was clear in the story I told.

'Capacity'?....

"....no one is good but the Father"

So now then...are we all evil?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I thought that was clear in the story I told.

'Capacity'?....

"....no one is good but the Father"

So now then...are we all evil?

If we're not good then we're either neutral or evil. I wonder why God created us that way though :shrug:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If we're not good then we're either neutral or evil. I wonder why God created us that way though :shrug:

We could move to an answer by using superlatives.

We could stand as neutral, and then point fingers in both directions.

God is the ultimate good...all else is less.
Moving down the line....Man is neutral until a 'choice is made'.
The souls that fell from heaven, have made the 'choice'.

I say...evil is a matter of choice....to harm or not to harm....
That is the question.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
We could move to an answer by using superlatives.

We could stand as neutral, and then point fingers in both directions.

God is the ultimate good...all else is less.
Moving down the line....Man is neutral until a 'choice is made'.
The souls that fell from heaven, have made the 'choice'.

I say...evil is a matter of choice....to harm or not to harm....
That is the question.

Fair point. My objection to that though is how could a perfect creator create this world that we live in? Unless where we are now is perfection.

idav

Being
Premium Member
God created evil out of boredom. Who wants perfection all the time. There would be nothing to watch.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
God created evil out of boredom. Who wants perfection all the time. There would be nothing to watch.

And I might agree.

After the creation of material things....there would still remain a peculiar silence.

It's one thing to say 'I AM!'.....another to say...'let there be light!'

But when no one answers?....then what?

Place yourself in God's situation...yes you can.
An entire creation, and it responds to your touch and will....
but it does not really...'respond'.

Creating your image directly would make a perfect reflection.
But that would be like talking to a mirror.

So here we are.

strikeviperMKII

I need to reassess what I think the party is?
I'm a 46 year old father with one kid in high school and the other ready for middle school, my wife and I are barely swinging the mortgage and we're in debt up to our arm pits. The party has been over for quite a while.
Hollow promises of the salvation of my eternal soul do not intrest me in the least.:)

They don't interest me either. I wouldn't care for heaven or whatever name people use for it, especially if I have to die to get there, which I'm not planning on doing any time soon. Of course, I never said anything about 'hollow promises of the salvation of [your] eternal soul', so I don't know how we got here.

arcanum

nobody really knows anything really about why things are the way they are. We fashion idea's but we really don't know. Maybe the gnostics were right, that in the scale of things we are far from god in terms of our level of emanation, the futher from the source the less light is able to illuminate... the less power it has.