• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create evil?

waitasec

Veteran Member
How about you -- do you think there is such a thing as ugliness? If so, do you think it makes sense to declare that God created ugliness?

gods creation
dog1.jpg

waitasec

Veteran Member
Looks more like the result of sin to me...

isaiah 45:7 I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the LORD, do all these things.

so says your subjective opinion...:D

i think he's rather charming ;)

Last edited:

DandyAndy

i think charming is a part of beauty....
it's definitely attractive...yes?
meaning it attracts ones attention via it's unique charm

Oh boy...lets see...a charming person is attractive, but that doesn't necessitate that their attractiveness is physical. I guess when I think of beauty I think of physical beauty like a sunset or trees or something - but I guess there's beauty that isn't physical...maybe? I don't know.

That doggy is certainly unique...that's a nice way to put it.

andys

Andys
Actually...do you think that this part of Genesis, prior to eating the apple, that they saw things in terms of a non-dualistic sense; i.e. no 'good' or 'bad'; sort of what it's like to be Enlightened in the 'Buddhist sense'?
Firstly, there is NO mention of any "apple" involved in this nutty story.

For no good reason reason, their omniscient god did not want Adam and his girlfriend to have any knowledge concerning "Good" and "Evil". This knowledge was the forbidden "fruit", not some apple. (Somehow, people began talking about an apple. Later, it became the universal symbol for education and knowledge, and then Apple Computers used it as their logo. But there was never an apple to begin with!)

As for any speculation I have as to what thoughts the two naughty original sinners had swirling in their empty heads, you may as well ask me what Santa Clause was thinking when he decided to wear a bright red suit.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Oh boy...lets see...a charming person is attractive, but that doesn't necessitate that their attractiveness is physical. I guess when I think of beauty I think of physical beauty like a sunset or trees or something - but I guess there's beauty that isn't physical...maybe? I don't know.

That doggy is certainly unique...that's a nice way to put it.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

i'm more attracted to unique attributes then to ordinary ones.

heretic

Heretic Knight
I think God didn't create evil , but create us with incomplete attributes , the in completeness produce evil , for example if a person likes himself (which is important for the person to keep his existence) increased to a degree so that he/she becomes selfish this could produce evil to him/her self and to the others.

DandyAndy

Firstly, there is NO mention of any "apple" involved in this nutty story.

For no good reason reason, their omniscient god did not want Adam and his girlfriend to have any knowledge concerning "Good" and "Evil". This knowledge was the forbidden "fruit", not some apple. (Somehow, people began talking about an apple. Later, it became the universal symbol for education and knowledge, and then Apple Computers used it as their logo. But there was never an apple to begin with!)

As for any speculation I have as to what thoughts the two naughty original sinners had swirling in their empty heads, you may as well ask me what Santa Clause was thinking when he decided to wear a bright red suit.

I think the type of fruit they ate is not very important. Although you are correct to point out that the text does not indicate it was an apple. Sounds like you have a personal hatred towards apples though...

DandyAndy

I think God didn't create evil , but create us with incomplete attributes , the in completeness produce evil , for example if a person likes himself (which is important for the person to keep his existence) increased to a degree so that he/she becomes selfish this could produce evil to him/her self and to the others.

Woah.

andys

Andys
I think the type of fruit they ate is not very important. Although you are correct to point out that the text does not indicate it was an apple.
I just want to be sure that everybody understands the importance of what is meant by the "forbidden fruit".

There was no actual fruit involved, whatsoever. This was a metaphor. Knowledge of "good" and "evil" is what was forbidden by god in the Bible.

It strikes me as rather odd that god should blame poor Adam and Eve for their wrongdoing, since he never intended them to know right from wrong, in the first place.

You just gotta love the Bible! Whew.

kepha31

Isaiah 45:7

Why would the Lord create evil? I'm sure Christians can explain this; I'm not looking for an argument, I'd just like to understand. Is this quote taken out of context?
God creates the evils of judgments and punishments, but He does not create the evil of sin.
Evil happens when God's creatures make the wrong choice or choices.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It never ceases to amaze me how people seem to think they possess adequate faculties to speculate on the motives or intent of something which is conceivably a billion times smarter than them (if not infinitely so).
Hey, it's one of the more popular pastimes of the Christian clergy. Simply avail thyself of any typical fundi Sunday sermon.

andys

Andys
God does not create evil because He is perfectly good. He did give angels and humans freedom of choice and some of those angels and humans made the wrong choice. That is the source of evil. I used to have trouble understanding this too until I read Romans 9. Here is the link for you. Romans 9 NASB - Solicitude for Israel I am telling the - Bible Gateway
Santa Clause does not create all the toys because there are too many needed. He gave the elves freedom of choice as to what to make, and some of them did not make the right choice. I used to have trouble understanding this until I read "The Night Before Christmas". Here is a link for you. [www.amazon.com/Night-Before-Christmas-Clement-Clarke/dp/0399231900]