• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Didn't the Universe Always Exist?

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Which philosophy?

The one that are most relevant to modern “empirical science” - whether it Natural Sciences or Physical Sciences - is the Methodological Naturalism.
That deals with our universe only. It cannot tell us anything about whether time might be eternal,
or limited to our experiences in this universe, for example.

Philosophy deals with these sorts of issues, and explores various possibilities.
..and then, of course, we have religion .. which many people believe to be true.

It is not always necessary to "see something" in a physical sense, to understand that a philosophical
viewpoint is more than likely true. That's would be a narrow-minded view of reality.
My reality is formed by many different considerations .. not just physical science.

People can take whatever philosophical stance they like .. and can change their mind if they like.
Take away our weaning .. our language .. our education .. our conditioning .. what is your reality then?? :)

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
It is not always necessary to "see something" in a physical sense, to understand that a philosophical
viewpoint is more than likely true.
Exactly how do you do that? Specifically with regard to your claims about time.

If you have several philosophical views of time (which there are) how do you choose which is "likely true"?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah? Like you know all that? Here now try to understand if you will...IT DOESN'T MATTER about what you call civilization. This is not civilization unless you think murder and war is civilized. But that's not my point. Animals have an instinct of self-preservation. They don't dwell on it. Worry about it. When an animal is ready to die, he just usually lays down and dies. What I am going to say now may not jibe well with you but here it is...even flesh eating animals depend on those animals who must eat plants. Perhaps later but it's been nice talking with you.
No, animals rarely lay down and die. You have been watching too many Disney movies. Most animals fit into the category of being "prey". When they get old they lose that ability to run away. Predators have it just as bad. When they get old they can no longer chase down most prey and they starve to death . You have an instinct for self preservation too. Walk next to the edge of a cliff and you will see what I mean. You really are no different from other animals except that you have the benefit of civilization. And yes, that unfortunately does include wars and other woes.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Let's not get started again with plant life maybe coming from different bombings of meteors or combination of elements dead or alive and animal life coming from...uh... let's see...abiogenesis and/or some other dead or live cell. Or bombardment. That's not the subject now anyway. Naturally you will agree with the general scientific consensus that humans are animals. However, I am not putting humans in the animals category. Meantime, as I said, humans ALONE contract with funeral homes in advance ... or after, depending on situation. Humans ALONE have written tomes about what happens when we die -- pondering over what happens to the "soul," which many misunderstand to be something that lives forever in heaven or -- what's south of it -- haha, just a little joke there...
And that is just a pointless argument.

Pogo

I have always understood an analogy was used to provide a simpler way of explaining something, but this... :(
Is a pretty good explanation of the analogy to a 4 dimensional manifold but it is not working in your case because you don't have the background to understand the oops 2 dimensional properties of the surface of a sphere that are being used as the source reference and are stuck in a Cartesian / Newtonian understanding.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
And that is just a pointless argument.
No, it's not. You just don't want to admit you understand it. But that's ok. Because I am not going to argue it except to say that the "world" is infested with violence and greed and animals do not prepare plans with funeral homes and insurance agencies. Only humans do sometimes.

Pogo

You can believe what you want, I deal in the reality represented by names, the names are analogous to sign posts to me pointing to reality.
You are dealing with "my first dictionary", that the relevant definitions are not there is not our problem nor the saving of your philosophy.

YoursTrue

What is amazing is that I've never met so many know-it-alls,in one place.. :) astounding!!

YoursTrue

I think it is almost certain that there can be no cause for the universe as a whole (including a multiverse if such exists). Causality is *within* the universe and requires physical laws. That means that there cannot be a cause of causality and thereby no cause of the universe.
Amazing how some of you guys (or gals) process to know sooo much!!

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I firmly believe that humans are not animals, so...animals do not prepare in advance for funerals
You are incorrect. Human animals have funerals.
We live in a world corrupted by violence and greed. If you call that "civilization" that's up to you. Nope, a "civilized society" doesn't mean to ME greed and violence.
Your religion teaches you to see the world so darkly. You and I live in the same world, but you see in the most pessimistic of terms like the Jehovah's Witnesses I told you about recently, who didn't know what to say to me after I told them what I'm telling you - I simply didn't agree with them. So they said thank you and left.

I know that the world has a lot of unhappiness in it, but there are millions of people living safe, comfortable, relatively easy lives full of love and beauty, and I'll bet that you're one of them like I am, but you see it only in terms of corruption and greed and disparage civilization because for you, that's all it is.

I'll bet that greed and corruption don't define your days. I'll bet that you have people and/or pets that you love and love you in return. I'll bet that you enjoy flowers and sunsets, and maybe a garden. I'll bet that you eat food you enjoy. I'll bet that you have labor saving devices that wash your clothes and dishes for you, a car, and an air conditioner if you live where it gets hot. I'll bet that you have a roof over your head, and that people stock your grocery stores for you, pick up your garbage, and deliver your mail.

I'm guessing, of course, but I just described the way millions or billions of lives are lived, and even if some of that is wrong, lake maybe you don't have a car or a garden, it's by choice.

That's also civilization, yet you disparage it and define your life in terms of violence, corruption, and greed despite having relatively few brushes with any of those.
Amazing how some of you guys (or gals) process to know sooo much!!
Thanks for noticing.
you are stuck in duality, a seer and a seen
We all are. That's our reality. We perceive consciousness as a subject observing itself and the varied, changing phenomena of consciousness—such as sights, impulses, and moral imperatives—as we move through time.

There will always be an inherent duality in consciousness, a feeling that 'this is me, here and now,' and 'that is an external part of nature, not the self,' along with times that are not the present (past or future).
non-duality has to be realized in stilling the mind.
What do you say - and please try to be as specific and concrete as you can - is the benefit of thinking more about that. I found nothing up that avenue of meditative pursuit. I read repeatedly about people trying to transcend dualistic thought, and I have no idea what it is they are pursuing or why. Why do you spend time trying the collapse that dualistic experience of self and other?

I asked AI that question: "The benefit of contemplating the transcendence of dualistic thought lies in achieving a more integrated perspective. It is not about rejecting one side of a duality but about understanding and balancing both to perceive the whole. This pursuit aims to resolve the dissonance caused by seeing the self and others as separate, which can lead to a more harmonious and unified experience of existence."]

That's the kind of answer that I'm used to, and which says nothing specific to me. What dissonance in seeing self and other as subject and object? What more harmonious and unified experience?
keep your models, they are models of reality, not the reality they are meant to represent.
True. But so what? All a model or mental map need do is help one achieve his goals. There is no value in dwelling over what's actually on the other side of consciousness out there, because we can't have experience of it except through consciousness' lens. If the model works, we stick with it.

Consider racecar arcade games, where players turn a wheel and press foot pedals to mimic driving. It's easy to momentarily forget that one is not actually in a car, and the wheel in hand doesn't control real tires on the pavement. At that moment, the mental model is of an actual car; it's incorrect but serves its purpose. When the player steers right, the scene shifts accordingly, just as it would in a real vehicle. If a tree looms ahead, he swerves, avoiding an 'accident' in the simulation. The illusion only shatters if the tree isn't dodged, ending the game without real-world consequences. As long as the experience aligns with expectations, the model suffices, no matter how much it diverges from reality.

This concept extends to everyday life. What if reality isn't as it seems?

Numerous hypotheses speculate on the true nature beyond our conscious awareness, such as Boltzmann brains, simulated realities, brains in vats, and last Thursdayism. Echoing Descartes, we can be certain of nothing but the existence of our experiences, and I would add, the rules to manipulate them for future outcomes. For instance:

Suppose you discovered for an indisputable fact that the world outside was an illusion. Nevertheless, you still see your hand and finger and a flame on a candle. It's not real, you think, and stick your imagined finger into the imagined flame, it burns and hurts, you imagine that you quickly withdrew you imagined finger from that imagined flame, and the pain ends. Are you going to do it again, or just go back to the old rules that always worked before and still work now?

Probably not, and that's the point. The crux of the matter is that the accuracy of our models isn't always ascertainable; their utility lies in their functionality. If a model works, it's considered useful.

All we need to know is that we have desires and preferences, we make decisions, and we experience sensory perceptions of outcomes. When a person holds belief B that a particular action A will lead to a desired outcome D, and outcome D reliably follows action A, we regard belief B as true, correct, or knowledge. We can't know and for that reason needn't ponder for long what exists beyond the realm of consciousness.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But science can never declare absolute truths.
That's acceptable because it has to be. Furthermore, as just explained, we don't require them. Relative "truth" is not only within our reach; it suffices to achieve our objectives.

However, remember that religion cannot do better or even as well. Faith does not produce knowledge; only empiricism does. Ideas obtained through intuition or faith do not constitute knowledge, which I define as the collection of demonstrably accurate inductions that can be used to predict outcomes reliably. Religion does not yield such ideas, only unfalsifiable claims devoid of practical utility.
good approximation does not mean absolute truth. That's the point. So that's the problem with scientism.
There is no such problem. Scientists understand the limits of knowledge as do scientifically literate lay persons.

This scientism thing is an invention of those who object to the rejection of their special ways of knowing they claim to have and the special insights they claim to hold but can never articulate by critically thinking empiricists. Such people falsely claim that empiricists expect more of empiricism than it can deliver - that they expect it to answer all questions about reality.

But that's not the case. Empiricists recognize that empiricism will likely not answer all questions. But as I just noted, if a question can't be answered empirically, it can't be answered, and that attitude is what the untethered (to evidence) thinker objects to, and so points his finger decrying, "scientism!"
naturalism is an extreme viewpoint
Supernaturalism is the extreme viewpoint. Even a child with magical thinking is a naturalist testing and trying to discover how nature actually works. He isn't thinking about unseen realms outside of nature occupied by unseen agents until and unless his parents direct him to think like that.
I am saying that it is an extremist position to reject all forms of evidence, other than physical observations in this universe.
There is no other kind of evidence. Evidence is the noun form of the adjective evident, which means evident to the external and internal senses.
there is more to learn than the contents of science books
Yes, but knowledge is only acquired empirically as just described. Other ideas are not knowledge.
you merely hide behind your 'materialistic', 'rational', 'critical thinking' philosophy, and claim to be justified in doing so.
But he is. You're making an analogous argument to fire dragon's. You resent your other ways of knowing not being respected by critically thinking empiricists. Why do you care? I for one don't care what you believe. I just reject such thinking for myself as well as ideas others hold generated
I'm basically told that anything other than physical science is not acceptable. What a narrow-minded approach.
What is said is what I have been saying, namely, that knowledge is ascertained empirically, and other beliefs arrived at by other means are not knowledge. And I'm accustomed to believers calling that narrow-minded, but I don't have to ask you what knowledge you have gained by these other ways of knowing and which cause you to call others narrow-minded for rejecting as knowledge because I know from having asked dozens of others making similar claims that you have no answer and cannot articulate a single idea not arrived at empirically which has any practical value unless one calls comforting the believer with fantastic ideas valuable.
That's how materialists view it .. they feel that physical, scientific knowledge is somehow more reliable than anything else, which is false, imo.
Somehow? If the idea were false, you could falsify it. You could present an idea that has practical value not learned through experience (empirically). But you can't.
For you, 'reality' = 'the physical universe', and that is your philosophy. There is no point in me enlightening you otherwise.
And there it is again - the implication that you know something valuable that you could impart to an empiricist, something you call enlightenment that the poor benighted empiricist doesn't know because he equates actual enlightenment with empiricism and considers whatever you call enlightenment just fluff like that AI paragraph above.

Wisdom come from experience and mindful living, noting what things lead to what other things and understanding which of those are desirable and facilitate equanimity and contentment.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
If you have several philosophical views of time (which there are) how do you choose which is "likely true"?
'heart' first, and brain second.

Similarly, most people consider killing others as wrong ('heart'), but recognize that there
are some circumstances where it is acceptable (brain).

..so my heart tells me that this worldly life cannot possibly be all that is, and my brain tells me that there is a relationship between physical dimensions i.e. space and time

My brain also tells me (through thought and study), that while models can teach us a lot
about how the universe works, it is not as simple as models suggest.
A model is just that .. a model .. it serves its purpose .. to enable us to visualize how physical
dimensions relate to each other. Not a categorical definition of what it all means philosophically.

YoursTrue

Your religion teaches you to see the world so darkly. You and I live in the same world, but you see in the most pessimistic of terms like the Jehovah's Witnesses I told you about recently, who didn't know what to say to me after I told them what I'm telling you - I simply didn't agree with them. So they said thank you and left.

I know that the world has a lot of unhappiness in it, but there are millions of people living safe, comfortable, relatively easy lives full of love and beauty, and I'll bet that you're one of them like I am, but you see it only in terms of corruption and greed and disparage civilization because for you, that's all it is.

I'll bet that greed and corruption don't define your days. I'll bet that you have people and/or pets that you love and love you in return. I'll bet that you enjoy flowers and sunsets, and maybe a garden. I'll bet that you eat food you enjoy. I'll bet that you have labor saving devices that wash your clothes and dishes for you, a car, and an air conditioner if you live where it gets hot. I'll bet that you have a roof over your head, and that people stock your grocery stores for you, pick up your garbage, and deliver your mail.

I'm guessing, of course, but I just described the way millions or billions of lives are lived, and even if some of that is wrong, lake maybe you don't have a car or a garden, it's by choice.

That's also civilization, yet you disparage it and define your life in terms of violence, corruption, and greed despite having relatively few brushes with any of those.

Thanks for noticing.

We all are. That's our reality. We perceive consciousness as a subject observing itself and the varied, changing phenomena of consciousness—such as sights, impulses, and moral imperatives—as we move through time.

There will always be an inherent duality in consciousness, a feeling that 'this is me, here and now,' and 'that is an external part of nature, not the self,' along with times that are not the present (past or future).

What do you say - and please try to be as specific and concrete as you can - is the benefit of thinking more about that. I found nothing up that avenue of meditative pursuit. I read repeatedly about people trying to transcend dualistic thought, and I have no idea what it is they are pursuing or why. Why do you spend time trying the collapse that dualistic experience of self and other?

I asked AI that question: "The benefit of contemplating the transcendence of dualistic thought lies in achieving a more integrated perspective. It is not about rejecting one side of a duality but about understanding and balancing both to perceive the whole. This pursuit aims to resolve the dissonance caused by seeing the self and others as separate, which can lead to a more harmonious and unified experience of existence."]

That's the kind of answer that I'm used to, and which says nothing specific to me. What dissonance in seeing self and other as subject and object? What more harmonious and unified experience?

True. But so what? All a model or mental map need do is help one achieve his goals. There is no value in dwelling over what's actually on the other side of consciousness out there, because we can't have experience of it except through consciousness' lens. If the model works, we stick with it.

Consider racecar arcade games, where players turn a wheel and press foot pedals to mimic driving. It's easy to momentarily forget that one is not actually in a car, and the wheel in hand doesn't control real tires on the pavement. At that moment, the mental model is of an actual car; it's incorrect but serves its purpose. When the player steers right, the scene shifts accordingly, just as it would in a real vehicle. If a tree looms ahead, he swerves, avoiding an 'accident' in the simulation. The illusion only shatters if the tree isn't dodged, ending the game without real-world consequences. As long as the experience aligns with expectations, the model suffices, no matter how much it diverges from reality.

Numerous hypotheses speculate on the true nature beyond our conscious awareness, such as Boltzmann brains, simulated realities, brains in vats, and last Thursdayism. Echoing Descartes, we can be certain of nothing but the existence of our experiences, and I would add, the rules to manipulate them for future outcomes. For instance:

Suppose you discovered for an indisputable fact that the world outside was an illusion. Nevertheless, you still see your hand and finger and a flame on a candle. It's not real, you think, and stick your imagined finger into the imagined flame, it burns and hurts, you imagine that you quickly withdrew you imagined finger from that imagined flame, and the pain ends. Are you going to do it again, or just go back to the old rules that always worked before and still work now?

Probably not, and that's the point. The crux of the matter is that the accuracy of our models isn't always ascertainable; their utility lies in their functionality. If a model works, it's considered useful.

All we need to know is that we have desires and preferences, we make decisions, and we experience sensory perceptions of outcomes. When a person holds belief B that a particular action A will lead to a desired outcome D, and outcome D reliably follows action A, we regard belief B as true, correct, or knowledge. We can't know and for that reason needn't ponder for long what exists beyond the realm of consciousness.
You misunderstand. Humans may have funerals depending on circumstances . Animals do not contact life insurance agents and pay premiums up front. Only some humans do. (Have a nice day.)

YoursTrue

Thanks for noticing.

I find it very sad and tragic that you do not see this world corrupted by violence and greed. Maybe you should read the news.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, it's not. We live in a world corrupted by violence and greed. If you call that "civilization" that's up to you. Nope, a "civilized society" doesn't mean to ME greed and violence.
No, that is not "corruption". That is just the way that it is. Other animals can both be greedy and altruistic. We are merely more extreme in some ways.

Sadly for the last couple of years almost all of your arguments can be refuted with a simple "So what?" When you cannot answer that you have been refuted.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, it's not. You just don't want to admit you understand it. But that's ok. Because I am not going to argue it except to say that the "world" is infested with violence and greed and animals do not prepare plans with funeral homes and insurance agencies. Only humans do sometimes.
Please, you do not understand your silly arguments. Once again that is why they can be refuted by a "So what?"

YoursTrue

There is no south of the South Pole, on the two dimensional surface of the three dimensional object that is the earth. The analogy only works in two dimensions; the earth’s electromagnetic field obeys no such constraints.
Who care about dimensions. South of the South Pole is outer space. Unless you have a rocket ship there's nowhere to go nowhere to hide and the guys in space are having problems getting back.. oh well...people are being killed, they're starving in some places, being abused, but these guys go into space. Have a good day.

YoursTrue

No, that is not "corruption". That is just the way that it is. Other animals can both be greedy and altruistic. We are merely more extreme in some ways.

Sadly for the last couple of years almost all of your arguments can be refuted with a simple "So what?" When you cannot answer that you have been refuted.
Sorry but you are sadly very wrong and off base. People can be greedy to the extent of killing others, ruining the atmosphere, being very selfish. So long for now...