• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do christianity get so much hate?

Audie

Veteran Member
Because very few care about that christians get persecuted and killed. The world is almost silent when christians get killed.
That is your chosen perception
One encouraged by Christians for
reasons I gave.
And because their book says that
they are exceedingly special, and, will be
persecuted.
By you own wotds you show belief
that christians are " different"' and the
world conspires against them.

And " Belief" it is for lo, you cannot
substantiate the claim.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have never said slavery is not bad. I agree with you that two wrongs don't make a right.

I said muslims did it too since you used slavery as a agrument to why you do not like christianity. My point is that it is strange to only dislike christianity when other religions did the same
I do not like any religion, frankly. I accept that most people are believers of one sort or another, but I have generally that religious beliefs often result in wrongs.
I think it is relevant to point out that slavery existed elsewhere and was practiced by people of various religions, since that fact seems to me to show that slavery is more of a human problem than one that is particularly likely to occur under any one religion. The 20 wrongs don't make a right, but I think the fact that they are 20 means that we, as humans, can't just point to a specific religion as being especially conducive to the wrong practice.
Oh, absolutely! I agree wholeheartedly, slavery is indeed a human problem.

But it is also true that religion is a human invention, too -- and in most cases are held to be the source of moral wisdom for their followers, so one would really expect those religions to speak out strongly, right from the outset, against something as obviously morally wrong. That they don't suggests to me that they don't actually have the moral power one might expect.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
...In the colonies, not in England.

I'm sure it came as a surprise to James Somerset that he hadn't been enslaved before his famous case.

Unless you are using the word 'England' differently.

It was literally not legally recognised here from 1102. What the hell are you arguing for?

I don't know. This whole "there were no slaves in England even before Somerset v. Stewart" thing is a bizarre enough position that I'm not sure it's a good idea to engage with you.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Why do christianity get so much hate? It is really frustrating. I am not a christian but I think about christians that get hate just because of the religion they are following. It is so sad

Typically the dominant hegemonic viewpoint tends to get picked at by those smaller and not in power. It's a way of evening the scales.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sure it came as a surprise to James Somerset that he hadn't been enslaved before his famous case.

I don't know. This whole "there were no slaves in England even before Somerset v. Stewart" thing is a bizarre enough position that I'm not sure it's a good idea to engage with you.
They were not legally recognised as slaves, they were servants. This was the law. They were legally free on English soil.

You can look it up yourself, I've already linked to the wiki page.

English people owned slaves in the colonies, yes.

But that's not England.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
...In the colonies, not in England.

Unless you are using the word 'England' differently.

It was literally not legally recognised here from 1102. What the hell are you arguing for?
It wasn't til 1807 that England banned buying & selling of
slaves though. However the rest of the British Empire was
allowed to continue buying, owning, & selling slaves.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
It wasn't til 1807 that England banned buying & selling of
slaves though. However the rest of the British Empire was
allowed to continue buying, owning, & selling slaves.
Yes, on foreign soil, not England itself. That's my point, tho.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They were not legally recognised as slaves, they were servants. This was the law. They were legally free on English soil.

You can look it up yourself, I've already linked to the wiki page.

English people owned slaves in the colonies, yes.

But that's not England.

The links you gave explain that slavery in England should have been recognized as illegal but wasn't.

They don't say that there was no slavery in England.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have never said slavery is not bad. I agree with you that two wrongs don't make a right.

I said muslims did it too since you used slavery as a agrument to why you do not like christianity. My point is that it is strange to only dislike christianity when other religions did the same
It's not that people "only dislike" Christianity, it's that Christianity is far more prominant and has greater cultural and political influence in the english speaking world, particularly in
the U.S.

Ebionite

Mostly I find myself frustrated that Christians tend to care so little about the responsibility that comes with belief.

In recent years it has also become apparent that they have a very hard time with basic morality.
Paul spoke of the law in negative terms, even to the point of defaming Moses, who brought the law to the Hebrews.