• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Gods Need To Be Worshipped

not nom

or incompetence... maybe god can MAKE souls, but he can't destroy them. so he throws fits blaming them for the mess, while producing more "fuel for the fire" constantly.

however, if he can but doesn't want to annihilate "evil" souls as if they never existed, but instead wants to torture them to "justify infinite justice" or other such nonsense, then all the nice stuff otherwise said about god would have to be a lie. for starters, he'd have to be kinda dumb -- like a bully who makes people pretend they believe his childish lies with his fists -- and have a heart the size of a peanut.

and in the face of this logic, it often enough turns out people love dead pages of paper, no god worthy of that name. the faint echos of the first inventions of fascism, made obsolete by technology and in the near future robotics... poor people, a mere ladder to a more complete prison. sometimes I think it's not even about anyone's souls. it's about preparing a pool of mindless fascists, ready to be plugged in to their leader. people live and die for it just to keep the supply fresh.

bleh, I hate thinking that stuff so I try to find reasons why all of that makes no sense, either... it's not like humans are not VERY good at indoctrinating each other, anyway, and "threat of hellfire" is total pee compared to brutalizing or drugging people. that is how power actually works. seduction and violence. and religion kinda doesn't seem to be needed, and actually has some things (like a judge beyond all material reach, not to mention basic moral principles that are "etched in stone" if you will) that stand against that. I do think religion in it's best forms is a thorn in the side of transhumanist slavery. but in it's worst forms, it's exactly that, transhumanist slavery.... I don't really think that is at its heart, but it grew on it like fungus.

/ramble.

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Do 'God's NEED to be worshipped or do they just WANT to be? Or is it just what their followers need or want?

If we hold that a 'god' is beyond our capacity to effect either through action or inaction, then there should be no NEED (on 'God's part) for worship; if there is a need, then that implies that either through not worshipping 'God'(s) are diminished, restricted or have some other lessening... if such a 'God' is 'omnipotent' however this should not be the case.

If there is no need, then is there a WANT to be worshipped? Is this desire for self-fulfilment or is it to in some way affect our existence, such as the worship changing the worshippers in some respect. This is perhaps the more likely avenue for a theist to claim.

There is also the possibility however that the 'need' for worship or even its desirability is only the province of other worshippers; that they either need or want others to worship their god in order to fulfil their own desires, such as acceptance, hegemony, validation or so forth.

leon_the_14

God doesn't need us to worship him, its not for his benefit when we do.
Its us who need to worship him, it puts our lives and being into perspective when we do.
And there is nothing wrong in thanking our creator for bringing our animation into being.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
God doesn't need us to worship him, its not for his benefit when we do.
Its us who need to worship him, it puts our lives and being into perspective when we do.
And there is nothing wrong in thanking our creator for bringing our animation into being.

Yes, that's right ..Almighty God has no need of our worship.
We are the ones in need .. worshipping God is doing things that please Him (of benefit to us)

eg.
Adultery is a major sin, and destroys our social fabric..
However, a man and wife having sexual intercourse is included in our worship of God .. it strengthens the family and society

Horcrux_6

Winchester
not_nom.. I never really looked at it like that. Well I did, but not that.. pessimistically. Don't take that the wrong way. It was Interesting.

Anyhoo.. doesn't the Kabbalah advocate the idea that God actually needs the harmony and peace established through prayer; essentially, he created us because he wanted a blissful, almost symbiotic relationship with his, for lack of a better way to put it (or, on the flipside, the only way, I guess), children?

Thus what we do and how we conduct ourselves has a direct impact on the harmony of the universe; our, and his, being.

This is already a 'wrong' question if that makes sense. I dunno how else to put it...

What I mean is that God does not need us to worship Him. We need to worship God.

Sorry if someone already gave you this answer, i didn't feel like reading 20 pages.

atropine

Somewhere Out There
I think some gods were quite baffled at the idea of being worshiped... some of them knew a good thing when they saw it. :p I don't think any god NEEDS it, but I think some want it, some use it to do good, some use it to be ********, etc.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
My "god" does not need or seek worship, rather He/It seeks equals, those of his own Kind, intelligent, self-aware beings who follow their own individual will in life.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Orias

Left Hand Path
My "god" does not need or seek worship, rather He/It seeks equals, those of his own Kind, intelligent, self-aware beings who follow their own individual will in life.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Hail Brother!

Ave Satanas and Sanctus Infernus!

I could not agree anymore.

Best regards and in a way Kakarot, Gohan and all of the other dragonball z dudes would say....Xeeeee-----Peeeeerrrrr----Onnnn!!!!!