• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Gods Need To Be Worshipped

The Neo Nerd

God doesn't "need" to be worshipped.

Also relevant to your guys' discussion, I think "what does worship mean?" is also very important to discuss, to see if he "needs" it or not.

As a muslim is there any punishment, from allah or other muslims, if you do not pray?

Drax

Independent
Why do gods need to be worshipped? (I apologise if this topic has already been discussed i did search for one)

And im talking about all gods, not just yours in particular so please don't get uppity?

I mean most gods are considered 'omnipotent' all powerful. That means they shouldn't need us in any way shape or form. But yet they still require worship from their followers.

So i've been pondering this and i've come up with some theories:

A. The gods are not all powerful but get their power from our worship.
B. The gods are narcissistic egotistical beings who require the ego strokes they get from worship.

Any other possibilities?

-Q

I think it enables us to interact with them.

'Worship' generally refers to a veneration towards a deity, not a kneeling subservience at all times.

Why do gods need to be worshipped? (I apologise if this topic has already been discussed i did search for one)

And im talking about all gods, not just yours in particular so please don't get uppity?

I mean most gods are considered 'omnipotent' all powerful. That means they shouldn't need us in any way shape or form. But yet they still require worship from their followers.

So i've been pondering this and i've come up with some theories:

A. The gods are not all powerful but get their power from our worship.
B. The gods are narcissistic egotistical beings who require the ego strokes they get from worship.

Any other possibilities?

-Q

Z. To show your obedience in such a way that the church elders will be pleased with their talents or to delude oneself.

God is not in need of worship, even though He has ordered mankind to worship Him. Nothing will happen to Him if He is not worshipped. It is we who are in need of worshipping Him, cause if we don't, then we will be cast into the fires of Hell.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
God is not in need of worship, even though He has ordered mankind to worship Him. Nothing will happen to Him if He is not worshipped. It is we who are in need of worshipping Him, cause if we don't, then we will be cast into the fires of Hell.

Yes, but it is the one who orders us to worship him who also threatens us with hell, correct? So even if he doesn't need worship, he certainly wants it for himself.

not nom

so god is SO needy for worship, that even pointing that out gets one into hell, right?

of course such a god needs worship: to do anything, and to even exist.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
And who is to deny the Creator of everything if that's what He wants huh?!

First I would question if this figure is even real, or if it is a lie. This would be a very important question for me. It would be a waste of time to follow all these strict rules if none of it is actually real.

Drax

Independent

Although I would wonder what 'the fires of hell' are. . .

Perhaps it is not a punishment? Maybe it just a reality if we are not 'admitted' into this deity's reality? *Ponders*

The Neo Nerd

So why would he cast us into fires for not worshipping him if he doesn't need it?

-Q

There is paradise and there is fire. You must decide which it is that you want. If you choose paradise, then you must worship God and if you choose fire, then you will not worship God. So it is YOU who is in need of something from Him and not the other way around. If you don't worship Him, then He will just throw you into the fire cause that's what you have chosen through your ignorance.

not nom

There is paradise and there is fire. You must decide which it is that you want. If you choose paradise, then you must worship God and if you choose fire, then you will not worship God. So it is YOU who is in need of something from Him and not the other way around. If you don't worship Him, then He will just throw you into the fire cause that's what you have chosen through your ignorance.

nah. according to the quran, it's because unbelief was chosen for "the unfortunate".

if you're going to preach to people, get your text straight.

Last edited:

not nom

In what passage of the Quran does it state that unbelief is chosen for the unfortunate?

there are many, how can you possibly have missed that? or is that just lying for allah?

anyway, here's two.

sura 32:13 said:
YUSUFALI: If We had so willed, We could certainly have brought every soul its true guidance: but the Word from Me will come true, "I will fill Hell with Jinns and men all together."

PICKTHAL: And if We had so willed, We could have given every soul its guidance, but the word from Me concerning evildoers took effect: that I will fill hell with the jinn and mankind together.

SHAKIR: And if We had pleased We would certainly have given to every soul its guidance, but the word (which had gone forth) from Me was just: I will certainly fill hell with the jinn and men together.

sura 100:10 said:
YUSUFALI: No soul can believe, except by the will of Allah, and He will place doubt (or obscurity) on those who will not understand.

PICKTHAL: It is not for any soul to believe save by the permission of Allah. He hath set uncleanness upon those who have no sense.

SHAKIR: And it is not for a soul to believe except by Allah's permission; and He casts uncleanness on those who will not understand.

I do believe that Allah (SWT) puts veils in front of people's eyes cause is says so in the Quran, and it is said by Allah (SWT) Himself, that only He can remove these veils from their eyes, but it is up to the individual whether he/she wants to stay with that veil or have it removed. The only way of doing this is seeking out the truth. A person must be willing to change oneself before Allah (SWT) will remove those veils. So disbelievers shouldn't ask us Muslims why Allah (SWT) only favours us and puts veils in front of their eyes, but they must rather blame themselves for not making an effort to change.

If you take a step towards Allah (SWT), he will take multiple steps towards you. People can't just sit back and hope for salvation when they are making little or no effort at all to be saved. It says in the Quran, "Or think you that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you?"

not nom

I do believe that Allah (SWT) puts veils in front of people's eyes cause is says so in the Quran, and it is said by Allah (SWT) Himself, that only He can remove these veils from their eyes, but it is up to the individual whether he/she wants to stay with that veil or have it removed.

but it's not even up to the individual to want it removed. that too is given to some, not all. if you think otherwise, bring scripture.

The only way of doing this is seeking out the truth. A person must be willing to change oneself before Allah (SWT) will remove those veils. So disbelievers shouldn't ask us Muslims why Allah (SWT) only favours us and puts veils in front of their eyes, but they must rather blame themselves for not making an effort to change.

heh. I'm just asking why you don't know your own scripture, that's all.

The Neo Nerd

OK so could he chose to not send us into the fire?