• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do many Christians claim the Spirit of God is a Holy ‘Ghost’?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
No I,m not familiar with pre-1611 Bibles in English.
A SDA minister gave a KJV Bible to me when I was studying Christianity as a young man. It had a concordance and I became familiar with that Bible and learned passages from that Bible. The word Ghost and Spirit in the KJV did not bother me as I seemed to know instinctively that the 2 words meant the same thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as the bottom line of my quote indicates in post #26

The KJV isn't as bad as these old English versions for the modern reader and in some things it is more clear as "ye" is the plural form of "thou" etc.
But eventually I found out about KJV errors and was wondering often enough, what the hell the sentences meant, and it became too much for me and I started using other translations, but when I was looking for a passage the KJV concordance was handy in that Bible I had been given, along with the Strongs concordance and other books that related back to the numbering of words in the KJV.
These Old English versions aren't bad.

Who told you that?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
No

Absolutely false. ALL ‘Ghost’ definitions are the same. You might pick out one element and say, ‘That is different’, but that’s not a fact of a definition for ALL CASES.

An ALL CASE definition is ‘Disembodied Spirit of a DEAD PERSON’, a wraith, a ha

Can you prove that this isn’t true?

How are you expecting me to believe what is false… clearly you do not know me!!

It doesn’t matter what your religious belief is. Moreover we are not to make reference to it…

I was NOT posting against the trinity in saying that there’s no such thing as a ‘Holy Ghost’. Read the headline. I believe there is a SPIRIT OF GOD, God’s Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth.

God’s Spirit of truth is not a ‘Ghost’ by ANY definition.

My guess is that you saw the problem but can’t stand to believe it nor allow anyone else to see and believe it.

There is only ONE TRUTH.

What! Are you kidding… maybe I’m beginning to understand why you say what you say and how!!! Wow??!!!

What happened to the pagan God’s, monsters, unicorns, pixies, elves, …. Were they truthful BELIEFS… ‘Yes’… to those who willingly and wrongfully chose to believe in them….

I post what I know is true. If posting the truth offends the forum then it’s the forum that needs to change TO ALLOW TRUTH to be spoken/Written. Otherwise, what do you think? Seeds planted in barren soil? Wise words dismissed because they broke the forum rule that say, ‘Do not offend anyone by telling them the truth if they are wrong!!’?

In this thread question is posted about the justification or fallacy of a so-called ‘Holy Ghost’. I did that because I heard several church people preaching about ‘God’s Holy Ghost’ and how the Holy Ghost did this or that … and that the Holy Ghost is a Person … a THIRD person who is Almighty God. I posted the question and you or some claimed it was against trinity….

Yes, I felt the fear that there is no such thing as a ‘Ghost’, let alone, a ‘Holy Ghost’. I mentally visualised you and you believers of like, rushing around with your hands on your heads looking for somewhere to hide and then saying, ‘Better get rid of this poster in case others see the truth he’s telling!!! Whatever should we do if they believe him: ‘Better for us that this one man is thrown off this forum than have many here start to believe him!!’.

Ha ha ha… that’s so funny!!! Yes, many people ‘BELIEVE’ different things… If we held to the belief that the world was flat… hmmm…
Copernicus risked his life to show the truth AGAINST THE ESTABLISHED CHURCH BELIEF that the Earth was the centre of the universe… oh dear… how embarrassing when the church finally had to agree (after Galileo also proved it) that they were WRONG!!!…. but it doesn’t change the FACT of a matter. Parallel lines are still parallel even if another person sees it as diverging ‘from their perspective’. Tests show that the lines are the same distance apart - just sone else sees it as different. Let me ask you: Are you saying that the ‘out of line’ person IS RIGHT because they see the lines as diverging? Or should they admit that IT IS ONLY BY THEIR PERSPECTIVE and that a TRUE VIEW sets the lines parallel???

Who was it who did the train speed experiment and concluded that the train was travelling at different speeds according to whether it was moving away from a static point, or moving towards that same point… The truth (you next point) is that the train was travelling at BE SET SPEED all that time. In the story of the ‘Emperor’s Clothes’, the emperor deluded himself thinking his ‘invisible’ clothes were made of the finest silk. Others around were shocked but HAD TO FOLLOW SUIT and congratulate him … But then someone who didn’t know he was supposed be ‘brown-nosing’ the king, declared: ‘The Emperors got no clothes!!!’.

If you choose the wrong perspective to view a truth then, of course you will see it differently… but YOU would be in error!! And when you are shown the truth, do not fight it, prove it to yourself, and then accept it.

‘What is Truth’, Pontius Pilate asked Jesus!!

What I say to you is every way veritable from scriptures. The term ‘Ghost’ ONLY came into use in the Middle Ages. That age was a terrible age of superstition, high paganism, grave ignorance, and false beliefs in unearthly things. Thus myths grew prolifically and people ‘saw’ ways of frightening others by claiming apparitions of dead people haunting the world in ‘white gowns’ or such nonsense … a GHOST. No Ghost ever did anything GODLY. Yet you would have people believe that there is such a thing as GOD’s GHOST???? Is this what trinitariAns are supposed to believe (only because YOU mentioned them!!)

Truth: There is no such thing as a GHOST. Got nothing to do with trinity in that respect but rather just paganistic mythology like Dragons, Mermaids, Phoenix, Unicorns, Fairies, Elves, …and so on.

Well, stop intimidating me and posting things that have nothing to do with the thread topic. I have tried several times to ‘stop’ and ‘get back on point’ but you have been unable to do so… any reason? Why not start now: just answer the thread question… EVEN IF you have to begin again….! Does that sound reasonable?

Hmm… Interesting… but even so, if you have no horse in the race about the trinity, and you don’t know about the trinity, and you therefore are arguing at emptiness then how can you be saying what you are saying to me when you know nothing about what you are speaking about?…

A Ghost is (in short) a MALEVOLENT spirit. How then do those who believe in a the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Truth, be a ‘GHOST’?

Please just answer with credible information.

If you had answered WITH CREDIBILITY then that would have sufficed. But it is clear that since whatever (and I have asked did you to show me) you answered was incorrect, you could not nor would not respond.

To prove your point, post the answer in the next post. But if you cannot… !
At this point we are just going in circles. Hit me up when your intolerance of others beliefs has subsided.

Thanks for the discussion.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Just reading the example sentences you gave shows me that those versions would not be good for modern readers.
Well, it's in 12th century English.

It's not a bad translation though. I am using it to demonstrate the use of the word ghost.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The Dictionary definition of a ‘GHOST’ is:
  • ‘An apparition of a dead person which is believed to appear or become manifest to the living, typically as a nebulous image.’
How does this definition apply to what is called, ‘The Third Person’ of the trinity?

Take into account that a Ghost is ‘of a DEAD’ person - yet the Spirit of God is a ‘LIFE GIVING’ entity.

Is the term, Holy Ghost, just an example of malicious thinking and teaching, or is it just to be taken as ignorance in innocence thinking and preaching?
ghost (n.)
Old English gast "breath; good or bad spirit, angel, demon; person, man, human being," in Biblical use "soul, spirit, life," from Proto-West Germanic *gaistaz (source also of Old Saxon gest, Old Frisian jest, Middle Dutch gheest, Dutch geest, German Geist "spirit, ghost"). This is conjectured to be from a PIE root *gheis-, used in forming words involving the notions of excitement, amazement, or fear (source also of Sanskrit hedah "wrath;" Avestan zaesha- "horrible, frightful;" Gothic usgaisjan, Old English gæstan "to frighten").

Ghost is the English representative of the usual West Germanic word for "supernatural being." In Christian writing in Old English it is used to render Latin spiritus (see spirit (n.)), a sense preserved in Holy Ghost. Sense of "disembodied spirit of a dead person," especially imagined as wandering among the living or haunting them, is attested from late 14c. and returns the word toward its likely prehistoric sense.

Most Indo-European words for "soul, spirit" also double with reference to supernatural spirits. Many have a base sense of "appearance" (such as Greek phantasma; French spectre; Polish widmo, from Old Church Slavonic videti "to see;" Old English scin, Old High German giskin, originally "appearance, apparition," related to Old English scinan, Old High German skinan "to shine"). Other concepts are in French revenant, literally "returning" (from the other world), Old Norse aptr-ganga, literally "back-comer." Breton bugelnoz is literally "night-child." Latin manes probably is a euphemism.

The gh- spelling appeared early 15c. in Caxton, influenced by Flemish and Middle Dutch gheest, but was rare in English before mid-16c. Sense of "slight suggestion, mere shadow or semblance" (in ghost image, ghost of a chance, etc.) is first recorded 1610s; sense of "one who secretly does work for another" is from 1884. Ghost town is from 1908. Ghost story is by 1811. Ghost-word "apparent word or false form in a manuscript due to a blunder" is from 1886 (Skeat). Ghost in the machine was British philosopher Gilbert Ryle's term (1949) for "the mind viewed as separate from the body." The American Indian ghost dance is from 1890. To give up the ghost "die" was in Old English.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
ghost (n.)
Old English gast "breath; good or bad spirit, angel, demon; person, man, human being," in Biblical use "soul, spirit, life," from Proto-West Germanic *gaistaz (source also of Old Saxon gest, Old Frisian jest, Middle Dutch gheest, Dutch geest, German Geist "spirit, ghost"). This is conjectured to be from a PIE root *gheis-, used in forming words involving the notions of excitement, amazement, or fear (source also of Sanskrit hedah "wrath;" Avestan zaesha- "horrible, frightful;" Gothic usgaisjan, Old English gæstan "to frighten").

Ghost is the English representative of the usual West Germanic word for "supernatural being." In Christian writing in Old English it is used to render Latin spiritus (see spirit (n.)), a sense preserved in Holy Ghost. Sense of "disembodied spirit of a dead person," especially imagined as wandering among the living or haunting them, is attested from late 14c. and returns the word toward its likely prehistoric sense.

Most Indo-European words for "soul, spirit" also double with reference to supernatural spirits. Many have a base sense of "appearance" (such as Greek phantasma; French spectre; Polish widmo, from Old Church Slavonic videti "to see;" Old English scin, Old High German giskin, originally "appearance, apparition," related to Old English scinan, Old High German skinan "to shine"). Other concepts are in French revenant, literally "returning" (from the other world), Old Norse aptr-ganga, literally "back-comer." Breton bugelnoz is literally "night-child." Latin manes probably is a euphemism.

The gh- spelling appeared early 15c. in Caxton, influenced by Flemish and Middle Dutch gheest, but was rare in English before mid-16c. Sense of "slight suggestion, mere shadow or semblance" (in ghost image, ghost of a chance, etc.) is first recorded 1610s; sense of "one who secretly does work for another" is from 1884. Ghost town is from 1908. Ghost story is by 1811. Ghost-word "apparent word or false form in a manuscript due to a blunder" is from 1886 (Skeat). Ghost in the machine was British philosopher Gilbert Ryle's term (1949) for "the mind viewed as separate from the body." The American Indian ghost dance is from 1890. To give up the ghost "die" was in Old English.
Good luck.

I tried. I study Middle English and have done for nigh a decade.

Didn't help some folks when I posted examples... :)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Good luck.

I tried. I study Middle English and have done for nigh a decade.

Didn't help some folks when I posted examples... :)
Anyone using modern definitions of words used in the Bible is bound to be wrong simply because the definitions of words change over time.
The more time, the more likely, and drastic, these changes can be.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
At this point we are just going in circles. Hit me up when your intolerance of others beliefs has subsided.

Thanks for the discussion.
Er, hello… if you responded with information as to your case then maybe we could get somewhere. But your responses in refusing to engage in actual discussion and that of arguing off-point, shows you have nothing to contribute…

So, yeah… it’s right that you should withdraw if that’s how you say: ‘Oh ok. Yes I see where I was going wrong! Thanks’.

You can still say that (with sarcasm attached)!

Soapy

ghost (n.)

Hi McBell, you haven’t put a context to your post but it is saying everything that I have been saying to the other two who won’t answer with any proper info.

My guess is that if they were to find what you found (and who says they didn’t????) then in no way would they post as proof of their ‘belief’!!

In fact, I don’t even know what they’d belief is since they are not revealing anything about what they actually believe - just objecting to the fear that if it was revealed that there really isn’t such a thing as a ‘Ghost’ then there can also be no such thing as a ‘Holy Ghost’.

Now, I see what they THINKING…. And it’s WRONG!!!

I belief in ‘THE SPIRIT OF GOD’… What I’m saying is that the Spirit of God is not a ‘GHOST’!!

I’m not sure WHAT they are actually arguing about seeming saying that it points to destroying trinity (but maybe it is, but that wasn’t the point of the Thread topic, which was singularly pointed at dispelling the false belief that God has a ‘Ghost’ … definition:
Sense of "disembodied spirit of a dead person," especially imagined as wandering among the living or haunting them.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Hi McBell, you haven’t put a context to your post but it is saying everything that I have been saying to the other two who won’t answer with any proper info.

My guess is that if they were to find what you found (and who says they didn’t????) then in no way would they post as proof of their ‘belief’!!

In fact, I don’t even know what they’d belief is since they are not revealing anything about what they actually believe - just objecting to the fear that if it was revealed that there really isn’t such a thing as a ‘Ghost’ then there can also be no such thing as a ‘Holy Ghost’.

I belief in ‘THE SPIRIT OF GOD’… What I’m saying is that the Spirit of God is not a ‘GHOST’!!

I’m not sure WHAT they are actually arguing about seeming saying that it points to destroying trinity (but maybe it is, but that wasn’t the point of the Thread topic, which was singularly pointed at dispelling the false belief that God has a ‘Ghost’ … definition:
Perhaps it is your creative quote mining?
Why is it you completely ignored the sentence right before your picked mine AND the part after the comma:

In Christian writing in Old English it is used to render Latin spiritus (see spirit (n.)), a sense preserved in Holy Ghost.​
Sense of "disembodied spirit of a dead person," especially imagined as wandering among the living or haunting them, is attested from late 14c. and returns the word toward its likely prehistoric sense.​
The problem is you are ignoring everything in the definition of the word that does not agree with your agenda.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member

Three people have given you the definitions of ghost which explain etymologically why English speakers used and use this word to translate Latin spiritus.

Why is this not good enough for you when the definition you seek is right there, multiple times?

How do you expect Anglo-Saxon speakers to refer to the Holy Ghost when they do not speak Latin? For what bizarre reason is a specific Latin word needed in a Germanic language that has its own word for the same concept?

Please just come clean and explain what the OP is really all about because this is tiresome and stupid.

Soapy

Perhaps it is your creative quote mining?
Why is it you completely ignored the sentence right before your picked mine AND the part after the comma:

In Christian writing in Old English it is used to render Latin spiritus (see spirit (n.)), a sense preserved in Holy Ghost.​
Sense of "disembodied spirit of a dead person," especially imagined as wandering among the living or haunting them, is attested from late 14c. and returns the word toward its likely prehistoric sense.​
The problem is you are ignoring everything in the definition of the word that does not agree with your agenda.

I’m really sorry… Which part EXACTLY am I ignoring?

Please add some meaning to your post and not just post quotes without context.

Are you referring to this part:
  • ‘In Christian writing in Old English it is used to render Latin spiritus (see spirit (n.)), a sense preserved in Holy Ghost.’
‘… a sense PRESERVED in Holy Ghost’?

But McBell… It does not DEFINE what ‘HOLY GHOST’ is…. The term is merely REFERENCED!!!

Can you DEFINE what is meant by ‘Holy Ghost’ in that quote….

The thing is, you have selected a couple of paragraphs that EXACTLY states my point … and then accuse me of ignoring a definition that isn’t a definition!!!

Do you think then that ALMIGHTY GOD has a ‘disembodied Spirit of a dead person’ - has a ‘Holy GHOST’?

Soapy

Three people have given you the definitions of ghost which explain etymologically why English speakers used and use this word to translate Latin spiritus.

Why is this not good enough for you when the definition you seek is right there, multiple times?

How do you expect Anglo-Saxon speakers to refer to the Holy Ghost when they do not speak Latin? For what bizarre reason is a specific Latin word needed in a Germanic language that has its own word for the same concept?

Please just come clean and explain what the OP is really all about because this is tiresome and stupid.
What???

You said:
  • How do you expect Anglo-Saxon speakers to refer to the Holy Ghost when they do not speak Latin?
Did you mean to say that?

The Anglo-Saxons BELIEVED IN ‘Disembodied Spirits of dead people[… animals…]’.

So if you are saying that the Anglo-Saxons took the CONCEPT of the word, ‘Spiritus’, and rendered it in their own language as (modern) ‘Holy Ghost’, then what they did was to INCORPORATE PAGANISM into the ‘Etymology’ - which is why you guys ant to believe it.

‘Spiritus Sancti’ is not ‘Holy GHOST’.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
What???

You said:
  • How do you expect Anglo-Saxon speakers to refer to the Holy Ghost when they do not speak Latin?
Did you mean to say that?

The Anglo-Saxons BELIEVED IN ‘Disembodied Spirits of dead people[… animals…]’.

So if you are saying that the Anglo-Saxons took the CONCEPT of the word, ‘Spiritus’, and rendered it in their own language as (modern) ‘Holy Ghost’, then what they did was to INCORPORATE PAGANISM into the ‘Etymology’ - which is why you guys ant to believe it.

‘Spiritus Sancti’ is not ‘Holy GHOST’.
Holy Ghost is literally the English translation of Latin Spiritus Sancti. I have shown examples of this from the Anglo-Saxon Gospels.

This is what we have been telling you this whole time.

Whatever you ideology is it's disallowing you to read what is right infront of your face.

Give this up and explain yourself, please.

Soapy

Holy Ghost is literally the English translation of Latin Spiritus Sancti. I have shown examples of this from the Anglo-Saxon Gospels.

This is what we have been telling you this whole time.

Whatever you ideology is it's disallowing you to read what is right infront of your face.

Give this up and explain yourself, please.
Wow… A GHOST has nothing to do with The Spirit of God…

The Spirit of God has nothing at all to do with Disembodied Spirits of Dead persons.

Merriam defined Ghost as:

noun

Definition of ghosts
plural of ghost
as in spirits
the soul of a dead person thought of especially as appearing to living people looked for ghostsin the graveyard on Halloween
Synonyms & Similar Words
Relevance
The Jewish nation never believed in ‘Disembodied Spirits of Dead people… wandering or invading the world of the living.’

Anglo-Saxon DID believe in ‘Disembodied Spirits’. So, if they INCORPORATED their belief into the (now) Jewish-Christian belief that then changes the MEANING and gives rise to a illegitimate entity.

You guys can see that illegitimacy but are afraid to admit it: How can ‘The disembodied Spirit of a dead person’ (Anglo-saxon) be associated with the All Powerful ‘Spirit of God’?

So, please, show me a definition of ‘Ghost’ that is NOT saying that it is ‘The disembodied Spirit of a dead person’.

Also, which does not have connotations of being a Wraith, a Spectre, an Apparition, a Poltergeist, a Haunting…. more…

Is this his you view the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Truth?

And just in case you don’t know it already:
[Anglo-Saxon] Pagan Religion
• The Anglo-Saxons were pagans, who did not believe in the Christian God. Gradually the Christians outside Britain returned to England and Scotland and began to covert the Picts, Scots and the Anglo-Saxons and after a while most of England became Christians.
• Each pagan god controlled a particular part of everyday life: the home, growing crops, healing, wisdom, metalworking, love, the weather, the family, war and day and night.

Pagan Beliefs..
• Our word Easter comes from the name of the Anglo- Saxon goddess of the dawn, Eostre.
• When the Saxons first settled in Britain, they were pagans. This means that they worshiped lots of different gods. Their religion was called 'paganism'.
• The Saxons were very superstitious and believed in elves, goblins and dragons.

Last edited:

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member

The Spirit of God has nothing at all to do with Disembodied Spirits of Dead persons.

noun

Definition of ghosts
plural of ghost
as in spirits
the soul of a dead person thought of especially as appearing to living people looked for ghostsin the graveyard on Halloween
Synonyms & Similar Words
Relevance
The Jewish nation never believed in ‘Disembodied Spirits of Dead people… wandering or invading the world of the living.’

Anglo-Saxon DID believe in ‘Disembodied Spirits’. So, if they INCORPORATED their belief into the (now) Jewish-Christian belief that then changes the MEANING and gives rise to a illegitimate entity.

You guys can see that illegitimacy but are afraid to admit it: How can ‘The disembodied Spirit of a dead person’ (Anglo-saxon) be associated with the All Powerful ‘Spirit of God’?

So, please, show me a definition of ‘Ghost’ that is NOT saying that it is ‘The disembodied Spirit of a dead person’.

Also, which does not have connotations of being a Wraith, a Spectre, an Apparition, a Poltergeist, a Haunting…. more…

Stop. Just stop.

You have been told. Read the definitions given you or just stop.

Stop using modern definitions just to cherrypick the definition YOU want. This word has an etymology you have denied time after time.

For goodness sake.

Do you want me to get out my Anglo-Saxon books and waste my time even more?

If you went back in time to the Anglo-Saxon period they would use the word 'ghost' where you are using Latin 'spirit'.

Why is this so hard for you? Why?

Is it an anti-Catholic thing? Anti-Trinitarian thing? What?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

noun

Definition of ghosts
plural of ghost
as in spirits
Synonyms & Similar Words
Relevance

When I click on the link of defintion of ghosts in your post, I get this:
ghost
1 of 2
noun
ˈgōst
plural ghosts
Synonyms of ghost
: the seat of life or intelligence : SOUL
give up the ghost
: a disembodied soul
especially : the soul of a dead person believed to be an inhabitant of the unseen world or to appear to the living in bodily likeness
: SPIRIT, DEMON
a
: a faint shadowy trace
a ghost of a smile
b
: the least bit
not a ghost of a chance
: a false image in a photographic negative or on a television screen caused especially by reflection
: one who ghostwrites
: a red blood cell that has lost its hemoglobin

Not what you list.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
@Soapy why are you holding you cards to your chest?

What point are you trying to make and why are you so adamant to deny the definitions given you?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
'Holy ghosts' where my finger is.

Translated,

'All the angels of the Lord looked on;
fair through all eternity; that was no felon’s gallows,
but holy spirits beheld him there,
men over the earth and all this glorious creation.'

20240606_142549.jpg

20240606_142556.jpg