• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do many Christians claim the Spirit of God is a Holy ‘Ghost’?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Neither Deuteronomy 10:14 or Nehemiah 9:6 tells us that the Highest Heavens is God's home.
Our disagreement is not whether 'heaven' has more than one meaning. Our disagreement is on whether God can be measured or contained.
So yes, we do disagree on a lot of issues, but it was nice talking with you, I appreciate your attempted answers, and I look forward to our next discussion.
KJV says, " heaven and the heaven of heavens " ( heavens being plural ) Deut. 10:14
God does Not live in the mid-heavens were the birds fly
God does Not live in the outer space heavens
but according to all of 1st Kings chapter 8 God has a heavenly location ( just No ZIP code listed )
God looks down from His vantage point
So, God's Heaven is lofty superior to our atmospheric heavens and outer space
Since there is No measurement for God's size, we just have to wait until Jesus' Millennial Reign over Earth comes

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Because the translators into English did it to help the reader at their discretion.
Since God is the Author of Scripture (2nd Tim. 3:16-17) then it is God's discretion not the readers
Any thoughts about Ezekiel 39:29 __________________
Any thoughts about Isaiah 44:3 ___________________

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Since God is the Author of Scripture (2nd Tim. 3:16-17) then it is God's discretion not the readers

Yes and No. It is true that God is the Author — in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic… English translations have erros.

Any thoughts about Ezekiel 39:29 __________________

I love it. Not sure what exactly you are wanting. There are many application that can it can relate to from the pouring out of the Holy Spirit upon all flesh all the way up to the end-times when Gog and his hordes are destroyed.

Any thoughts about Isaiah 44:3 ___________________

Again… I believe it relates to Act 2

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes and No. It is true that God is the Author — in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic… English translations have erros.
I love it. Not sure what exactly you are wanting. There are many application that can it can relate to from the pouring out of the Holy Spirit upon all flesh all the way up to the end-times when Gog and his hordes are destroyed.
Again… I believe it relates to Act 2
Bible light (scriptural education/ knowledge) grows brighter and brighter with the passing of time according to Proverbs 4:18; Daniel 12:9,12
One does Not 'pour out ' a person
God's abundant Power and Strength (Isaiah 40:26) is poured out in the sense that electricity is poured out from the power plant grid
We can't see the power but we see the result of it.
And yes, God's abundant dynamic power and strength ( it ) to destroy God and his hordes
The end times of all badness on Earth when the humble meek will inherit the Earth as promised - Matt. 5:5; Psalms 37:9-11, 34,38; 22:26

Kenny

Premium Member
Bible light (scriptural education/ knowledge) grows brighter and brighter with the passing of time according to Proverbs 4:18; Daniel 12:9,12

That is your view. Can a person dwell inside you beside yourself? Can one dictate what God can or cannot do?

God's abundant Power and Strength (Isaiah 40:26) is poured out in the sense that electricity is poured out from the power plant grid
We can't see the power but we see the result of it.

That is true… however a power cannot speak, guide, teach or grieve.

And yes, God's abundant dynamic power and strength ( it ) to destroy God and his hordes
The end times of all badness on Earth when the humble meek will inherit the Earth as promised - Matt. 5:5; Psalms 37:9-11, 34,38; 22:26

Yes...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That is your view. Can a person dwell inside you beside yourself? Can one dictate what God can or cannot do?
That is true… however a power cannot speak, guide, teach or grieve........................................................
Thank you again for your reply
At Isaiah 44:3 I find God's spirit is compared, Not to a person, but to: water
Thus, when God pours out His spirit upon us we can be 'filled of holy spirit' or 'filled with holy spirit'
We have that example starting at Pentecost - Acts 4:8; 9:17; 11:22,24; 13:9 (Luke 1:15; 4:1)
If God's spirit was just one person could a person be poured out on many people
Or, one person fill a whole group of people
However, a person can be filled with wisdom, understanding or even knowledge - Exodus 28:3; 1st Kings 7:14; Luke 2:40; Col. 1:9
Is the Greek word translated as 'spirit' from the word ' pneu'ma ___________
Pneu'ma in connection, Not to a person, but to wind also breath which we knew are invisible but active

Oeste

KJV says, " heaven and the heaven of heavens " ( heavens being plural ) Deut. 10:14
I am not sure why you believe this matters.

Whatever, wherever, however, and even whenever heaven is, God not only fills it, He overflows it. Heaven is a created place, just like Earth. Since God can fill it, heaven is spatial, and since it was created, it is temporal.
Of course He lives in the mid-heavens, and of course He lives in “outer space”.

There is nowhere that God does not live.

You make the same mistake of the Arameans who thought Yahweh was God of the hills but not God of the valleys. The WT has provided an update, and now Yahweh is God of the spiritual heavens but not God our earthly air!

I fill heaven and earth!” declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 23:24

What do you think the word "I" means? When God say "I" does He mean "active force"? And what do you think “fill” means? Does "fill" mean everywhere, everyplace but outer space and where birds fly?? Please address this in your response.
but according to all of 1st Kings chapter 8 God has a heavenly location ( just No ZIP code listed )

Why are you obsessed with confining God to the heavens? Did He ever state He was confined to the heavens? Did He say "The heavens contain me"? I’ve already shown you scripture that categorically states the heavens cannot contain Him, so why do you insist it does?

"The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!" 1Kings 8:27.

“Can any hide himself in secret places, that I shall not see him?” saith the Lord.” Jer 23:24

So, He does not need to “look down from a vantage point” when He sees the seen and unseen. Why? Because there is no “vantage point” when nothing is hidden from you!

Look, if you believe that certain things are hidden from God such that He needs a vantage point, please cite a verse and explain your reasoning.

Since there is No measurement for God's size, we just have to wait until Jesus' Millennial Reign over Earth comes
God has no "size" to measure either before, during or after Christ's Millennial Reign.

Oeste

I am not sure why you believe this matters.

Whatever, wherever, however, and even whenever heaven is, God not only fills it, He overflows it. Heaven is a created place, just like Earth. Since God can fill it, heaven is spatial, and since it was created, it is temporal.
Of course He lives in the mid-heavens, and of course He lives in “outer space”.

There is nowhere that God does not live.

You make the same mistake of the Arameans who thought Yahweh was God of the hills but not God of the valleys. The WT has provided an update, and now Yahweh is God of the spiritual heavens but not God our earthly air!

I fill heaven and earth!” declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 23:24

What do you think the word "I" means? When God say "I" does He mean "active force"? And what do you think “fill” means? Does "fill" mean everywhere, everyplace but outer space or where birds fly?? Please address this in your response.

Why are you obsessed with confining God to the heavens? Did He ever state He was confined to the heavens? Did He say "The heavens contain me"? I’ve already shown you scripture that categorically states the heavens cannot contain Him, so why do you insist it does?

"The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!" 1Kings 8:27.

“Can any hide himself in secret places, that I shall not see him?” saith the Lord.” Jer 23:24

So, He does not need to “look down from a vantage point” when He sees the seen and unseen. Why? Because there is no “vantage point” when nothing is hidden from you!

Look, if you believe that certain things are hidden from God such that He needs a vantage point, please cite a verse and explain your reasoning.

God has no "size" to measure either before, during or after Christ's Millennial Reign.

Oeste

None of the Christians on this board doubt the effects of scripture URAVIP2ME. It's the WT's doctrine on the Holy Spirit that gives us pause.
Who told you this? How does God fill the heavens and Earth if there is no pouring?

Let's turn to Jermiah once again and take a good look at the scripture here. Tell me which verse you see:

I fill heaven and earth!” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 23:24
"MY ACTIVE FORCE fills heaven and earth!" declares the Lord." Jeremiah 23:24

One of these verses sounds like they were taken from a page in scripture, the other from a page in Star Wars. Can you identify the Star Wars candidate?

That would be an improper attribution. In the above scenario, it's not the Power Plant's power and strength that lights your bulb, it's the electrical current emanating from the plant. The power plant directs this power, but is not the power itself.

Likewise it would not be God's abundant power and strength, but the power and strength of the "Active Force". God directs the Active Force, but God is not a force Himself.

Is this correct?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
"Why do many Christians claim the Spirit of God is a Holy 'Ghost'?"
They have to explain Mary's pregnancy before marriage (It was God's doing, therefore, Jesus is the Son of God).

God's spirit - Psalm 104:30 - is Not about God being a Spirit person
Back in 1833 Noah Webster replaced ghost with holy spirit because ghost means an apparition
God's spirit is Not an apparition as a ghost would be
Like the invisible wind that exerts the force the energy to blow the snow around but is Not a person

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Wind or force, visible or unvisible, cannot make a girl pregnant. Pregnancy happens because of other acts.
Good point above
In Scripture Jesus had a pre-human heavenly existence being the beginning or start of God's heavenly creation - Rev. 3:14 B
Thus, God 'transferred' the heavenly life of Jesus to Mary thus Jesus could address his God as his Father, aka Life Giver
Transferred life from Heaven then Jesus could be born sinless from a sinless Father and like Adam decide to be faithful or not

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That is true… however a power cannot speak, guide, teach or grieve...............................
I see a link at Luke 1:35 between God's Power and God's spirit applied
Micah became full of power by God's spirit linked together - Micah 3:8
At Acts 1:6-8, 18 it was God's spirit that miraculously allowed them to speak in foreign languages in order to spread the word
In other words, No translator was needed to translate as was needed at 1st Cor. 14:27
Notice too the connection at Romans 15:13,19 to applied power and God's spirit
With power there is movement as we can read at 2nd Peter 1:21
Besides water, fire is also Not a person - see Matthew 3:11
Having wisdom is Not a person, but having wisdom sure is a helper - John 14:26
How God's spirit helps us is found at Acts 1:8 to have the power to spread the good news of Matthew 24:14
In Heaven God controls the holy spirit by giving 'it' to those who ask Him - Luke 11:13
Please notice at Luke 11:20; Psalm 8:3 and Exodus 31:18 that God's spirit is in connection to the finger of God
( I suppose one could say that at the ' snap of God's finger ' things happen )

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In Scripture Jesus had a pre-human heavenly existence being the beginning or start of God's heavenly creation - Rev. 3:14 B
That is what may be your impression of your much edited 4th Century book says. People have come out with various apologies.
But I do not believe in what your book says. There is no reason for me to believe in fictitious stories.

Kenny

Premium Member
I see a link at Luke 1:35 between God's Power and God's spirit applied
Micah became full of power by God's spirit linked together - Micah 3:8
At Acts 1:6-8, 18 it was God's spirit that miraculously allowed them to speak in foreign languages in order to spread the word
In other words, No translator was needed to translate as was needed at 1st Cor. 14:27
Notice too the connection at Romans 15:13,19 to applied power and God's spirit
With power there is movement as we can read at 2nd Peter 1:21
Besides water, fire is also Not a person - see Matthew 3:11
Having wisdom is Not a person, but having wisdom sure is a helper - John 14:26
How God's spirit helps us is found at Acts 1:8 to have the power to spread the good news of Matthew 24:14
In Heaven God controls the holy spirit by giving 'it' to thosIe who ask Him - Luke 11:13
Please notice at Luke 11:20; Psalm 8:3 and Exodus 31:18 that God's spirit is in connection to the finger of God
( I suppose one could say that at the ' snap of God's finger ' things happen )
The Father has power, Jesus has power and the Holy Spirit has power.

But none of what you have shared detracts from the points that I have made. A power does not teach, does not grieve and does not speak… God’s Holy Spirit does all three.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The Father has power, Jesus has power and the Holy Spirit has power.
But none of what you have shared detracts from the points that I have made. A power does not teach, does not grieve and does not speak… God’s Holy Spirit does all three.
But isn't it God's Great Power giving the ability to teach, etc. at Acts 1:8; 4:33 __________________ Luke 12:12
God does Not send forth Himself at Psalm 104:30
Isn't God's spirit the helper, the helping power, at John 15:26; John 16:13-14; John 14:26 in reference to verse 7 the helper (KJV comforter )
Jesus used helper (masculine gender in Greek) thus personifies 'the' holy spirit but does Not turn an " it " into a person - Numbers 11:17,25
I see at Acts 5:32 that God gives 'the' holy spirit. The holy spirit does Not do the giving.
God's spirit is 'the' free 'gift ' given at Acts 2:38
At Matthew 10:19-20 the spirit of God is a neuter "it"

Kenny

Premium Member
But isn't it God's Great Power giving the ability to teach, etc. at Acts 1:8; 4:33 __________________ Luke 12:12

no. Please note the difference:

John 20:22
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye theHoly Ghost:

Here the disciple received the indwelling presence of the person of the Holy Spirit. After they receive the person of the Holy Spirit he then said

Luke 24:49
And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

One is the person and the other is the Holy Spirit’s power.

The Dictionary definition of a ‘GHOST’ is:
  • ‘An apparition of a dead person which is believed to appear or become manifest to the living, typically as a nebulous image.’
How does this definition apply to what is called, ‘The Third Person’ of the trinity?

Take into account that a Ghost is ‘of a DEAD’ person - yet the Spirit of God is a ‘LIFE GIVING’ entity.

Is the term, Holy Ghost, just an example of malicious thinking and teaching, or is it just to be taken as ignorance in innocence thinking and preaching?

In older English translations of the Bible, such as the King James Version, the term “Holy Ghost” was used. This usage has its roots in the word “ghost,” which in Old English (“gast”) simply meant “spirit” or “soul.” Over time, the common usage of “ghost” shifted to primarily mean the specter of a deceased person, while “spirit” remained more aligned with the biblical and theological context. Thus, the term “Holy Ghost” was simply the traditional English way to refer to the Holy Spirit, without the connotations that modern usage of “ghost” might bring.

From a theological perspective, the Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost, is indeed the Third Person of the Holy Trinity, distinct from the concept of a ghost in popular culture. The Holy Spirit is described in Scripture as the “Giver of Life” (cf. John 6:63, 2 Corinthians 3:6), who breathes life into creation, inspires prophets, and empowers the followers of Christ. The Holy Spirit is a dynamic and life-giving force, as seen in the Acts of the Apostles during Pentecost, where the Spirit descends upon the apostles, granting them the ability to speak in different tongues and emboldening them to spread the Gospel.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
One is the person and the other is the Holy Spirit’s power.
Thank you for your reply
To me the One who is the person is: God ( God sends..... - Psalm 104:30 )
The other is the 'power' that God's spirit has and He uses that 'power' to accomplish His purpose - Isaiah 40:26
God's spirit is a genderless "it" even if in Greek a neuter can be used in the masculine sense - Numbers 11:17,25 (it)