• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do many Christians claim the Spirit of God is a Holy ‘Ghost’?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
S
When I click on the link of defintion of ghosts in your post, I get this:
ghost
1 of 2
noun
ˈgōst
plural ghosts
Synonyms of ghost
: the seat of life or intelligence : SOUL
give up the ghost
: a disembodied soul
especially : the soul of a dead person believed to be an inhabitant of the unseen world or to appear to the living in bodily likeness
: SPIRIT, DEMON

Sorry… what exactly are you saying? Did the part below play a part in the debate?

And do you see any link between a GHOST and the Intelligence of a person?

Or of a SOUL?:
  • ‘When I die, my Ghost will go to rest with God’
  • ‘God is the creator of GHOSTs’
What are the ‘Seven GHOSTS of God’?
a
: a faint shadowy trace
a ghost of a smile
b
: the least bit
not a ghost of a chance
: a false image in a photographic negative or on a television screen caused especially by reflection
: one who ghostwrites
: a red blood cell that has lost its hemoglobin

Not what you list.

Soapy

It's an "I have the truth, so your beliefs are false" thing.

In other words, it's an intolerance thing.
Ah WOW… so that’s what is marring your ability to discuss to the point??

I see it now!

Funny, but that’s what they said to Jesus, as well… Jesus, the man who was taught by God and then empowered with holy SPIRIT to do the work was sending him on.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Or of a SOUL?:
  • ‘When I die, my Ghost will go to rest with God’
  • ‘God is the creator of GHOSTs’
Yes, this is the proper way to say this if you removed the Latin word 'spirit' from Anglo-Saxon.

Soapy

'Holy ghosts' where my finger is.

Translated,

'All the angels of the Lord looked on;
fair through all eternity; that was no felon’s gallows,
but holy spirits beheld him there,
men over the earth and all this glorious creation.'

20240606_142549.jpg

20240606_142556.jpg
The Anglos-Saxons were PAGAN in their religious belief. Therefore it is extremely unwise to take definitions of their terms and apply them to the Christian belief.

That, is, exactly his fallacies, misrepresentations, and duplicities, come about.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
The Anglos-Saxons were PAGAN in their religious belief. Therefore it is extremely unwise to take definitions of their terms and apply them to the Christian belief.

That, is, exactly his fallacies, misrepresentations, and duplicities, come about.
You think languages are Pagan? You think a poem about the Crucifixion is Pagan?

Do you understand the Latin word 'spirit' was used by Pagan Latins?

Can we no longer speak English?

Soapy

You think languages are Pagan? You think a poem about the Crucifixion is Pagan?

Do you understand the Latin word 'spirit' was used by Pagan Latins?
The BELIEF was pagan…

I think you are on the wrong wavelength here - going offscript. We are discussing how a ‘GHOST’, a malevolent Spirit, can ever be associated with the SPIRIT OF GOD

Or should I have written: ‘the Ghost of God’?

Soapy

@Soapy why are you holding you cards to your chest?

What point are you trying to make and why are you so adamant to deny the definitions given you?
I have expressed it many times in these posts. And see the thread Topic.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
The BELIEF was pagan…

I think you are on the wrong wavelength here - going offscript. We are discussing how a ‘GHOST’, a malevolent Spirit, can ever be associated with the SPIRIT OF GOD

Or should I have written: ‘the Ghost of God’?
Yes, the Ghost of God is the right way to say this in the English (Anglo-Saxon) language.

What are you not understanding about this?

It is you who are saying a ghost is always a malevolent spirit. If you drop this you'll have no problem.

Soapy

Yes, the Ghost of God is the right way to say this in the English (Anglo-Saxon) language.

What are you not understanding about this?

It is you who are saying a ghost is always a malevolent spirit. If you drop this you'll have no problem.
Does your religious beliefs include a ‘Ghost of God’?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Does your religious beliefs include a ‘Ghost of God’?
Yes.

Because I am a Christian and I study Old English and Middle English and I know what these words mean.

By the way the English word God was used for Woden, so maybe you should use Deus instead because Woden is a Pagan God?

Last edited:

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Here is the Nicene Creed in Old English...

Ic gelyfe on ænne God, Fæder Ælmihtigne, Wyrcend heofenan and eorðan, and ealra gesewenlicra ðinga and ungesewenlicra; and on ænne Crist, Hælend Drihten, þone ancennedan Godes Sunu, of ðam Fæder acenned ær ealle worulda, God of Gode, Leoht of Leohte, Soðne God of Soðum Gode, acennedne na geworhtne, efen-edwistlicne þam Fæder, ðurh þone sind ealle ðing geworhte; se for us mannum and for ure hæle niðer-astah of heofenum, and wearð geflæschamod of ðam Halgan Gaste and of Marian ðam mædene, and wearð mann geworden. He ðrowode eac swylce on rode ahangen for us, and he wæs bebyrged, and he aras on ðam ðriddan dæge, swa swa gewritu seðað, and he astah to heofonum, and he sitt æt swiðran his Fæder, and he eft cymð mid wuldre to demenne þam cuicum and ðam deadum, and his rices ne bið nan ende. And ic gelyfe on ðone Halgan Gast, ðone Lif-fæstendan God, se gæð of ðæm Fæder and of ðam Suna, and se is mid ðam Fæder and mid þam Suna gebeden and gewuldrod, and se spræc þurh witegan. Ic andette ða anan halgan and ða geleaffullan and ða apostolican gelaðunge, and an fulluht on forgyfennysse synna; and ic andbidige æristes deadra manna, and þæs ecan lifes þære toweardan worulde. Sy hit swa.

'And I believe on the Holy Ghost.'

Soapy

Yes.

Because I am a Christian and I study Old English and Middle English and I know what these words mean.

By the way the English word God was used for Woden, so maybe you should use Deus instead because Woden is a Pagan God?
Nah, that’s silly!!

‘God’ is a TITLE (actually from Germanic roots).

Too many people only associate the word, ‘God’ with the Jewish Deity, and then mistakenly, put if ignorance, or purposely, claim that anything that says, ‘God’, is about the Deity.

‘God’ simply means, ‘The great one’, ‘the ruler’, ‘The might one’… and as such ANYONE who was in a position of full authority of anything, by context, is [a] GOD.

Now, in CHRISTIAN BELIEF, because we only believe in ONE GOD, one Deity, and most churches refuse to use is NAME, we refer to that Deity as [Our] ‘God’.

But the word is not confined to a title… it is also an Adjective… and better, to a SUPERLATIVE ADJECTIVE. Therefore we can say:
  • ‘Our God is God’
  • ‘[Our] God is God of all whom are called, ‘Gods’
  • ‘A chess grandmaster is GOD of his game’
  • ‘A Judge is GOD in his courtroom’
  • ‘The God of the battle, the mighty Ruler, the Hero, overthrew all contenders!’
  • Of Jesus: ‘Thy throne, O MIGHTY ONE, is an everlasting throne’. (This throne being an ethereal one from his ancestor/forefather, King David. THE GOD OF ALL GODS does not need a place on the throne of a human Ruler)

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah, that’s silly!!

‘God’ is a TITLE (actually from Germanic roots).

Too many people only associate the word, ‘God’ with the Jewish Deity, and then mistakenly, put if ignorance, or purposely, claim that anything that says, ‘God’, is about the Deity.

‘God’ simply means, ‘The great one’, ‘the ruler’, ‘The might one’… and as such ANYONE who was in a position of full authority of anything, by context, is [a] GOD.

Now, in CHRISTIAN BELIEF, because we only believe in ONE GOD, one Deity, and most churches refuse to use is NAME, we refer to that Deity as [Our] ‘God’.

But the word is not confined to a title… it is also an Adjective… and better, to a SUPERLATIVE ADJECTIVE. Therefore we can say:
  • ‘Our God is God’
  • ‘[Our] God is God of all whom are called, ‘Gods’
  • ‘A chess grandmaster is GOD of his game’
  • ‘A Judge is GOD in his courtroom’
  • ‘The God of the battle, the mighty Ruler, the Hero, overthrew all contenders!’
  • Of Jesus: ‘Thy throne, O MIGHTY ONE, is an everlasting throne’. (This throne being an ethereal one from his ancestor/forefather, King David. THE GOD OF ALL GODS does not need a place on the throne of a human Ruler)
Right, it is silly.

So it's just as silly to chuck out 'ghost', when its meaning is just as valid.

Soapy

You a
Here is the Nicene Creed in Old English...

Ic gelyfe on ænne God, Fæder Ælmihtigne, Wyrcend heofenan and eorðan, and ealra gesewenlicra ðinga and ungesewenlicra; and on ænne Crist, Hælend Drihten, þone ancennedan Godes Sunu, of ðam Fæder acenned ær ealle worulda, God of Gode, Leoht of Leohte, Soðne God of Soðum Gode, acennedne na geworhtne, efen-edwistlicne þam Fæder, ðurh þone sind ealle ðing geworhte; se for us mannum and for ure hæle niðer-astah of heofenum, and wearð geflæschamod of ðam Halgan Gaste and of Marian ðam mædene, and wearð mann geworden. He ðrowode eac swylce on rode ahangen for us, and he wæs bebyrged, and he aras on ðam ðriddan dæge, swa swa gewritu seðað, and he astah to heofonum, and he sitt æt swiðran his Fæder, and he eft cymð mid wuldre to demenne þam cuicum and ðam deadum, and his rices ne bið nan ende. And ic gelyfe on ðone Halgan Gast, ðone Lif-fæstendan God, se gæð of ðæm Fæder and of ðam Suna, and se is mid ðam Fæder and mid þam Suna gebeden and gewuldrod, and se spræc þurh witegan. Ic andette ða anan halgan and ða geleaffullan and ða apostolican gelaðunge, and an fulluht on forgyfennysse synna; and ic andbidige æristes deadra manna, and þæs ecan lifes þære toweardan worulde. Sy hit swa.

'And I believe on the Holy Ghost.'

re still using your ‘proof’ or ‘evidence’ from a PAGAN source. You cannot do that. I know you might have found the word, ‘Ghost’, in a manuscript or similar, but that does not say that it is valid.

In this forum I’ve heard people post ‘evidence’ that ‘YAHWEH’ is a Pagan God. Much writing from sources was presented … yet we know that there was no such thing. If sone could produce a proof that the Hebrew name (‘Yahweh’), was used to name other Gods, may reveal something - but, in fact, they produced nothing. They found the word, ‘YHWH’ because IT SIMPLY MEANS ‘I am’, just as ‘Eigo Eimi’ means ‘I am’… a clause and a predicate of the verb, ‘To Be’. Except when referring directly to a PERSON, ‘YHWH’ just means, ‘I am.’ Likely in responding to a question directed at the person. It does not mean ‘[Almighty] GOD’. A man born blind was healed, and was asked if he actually was that man (as no one had ever heard of a born blind, seeing!!). He answers, ‘I Am’… Should domd of called him ‘GOD’ because he says ‘I Am’?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
You a

re still using your ‘proof’ or ‘evidence’ from a PAGAN source. You cannot do that. I know you might have found the word, ‘Ghost’, in a manuscript or similar, but that does not say that it is valid.

In this forum I’ve heard people post ‘evidence’ that ‘YAHWEH’ is a Pagan God. Much writing from sources was presented … yet we know that there was no such thing. If sone could produce a proof that the Hebrew name (‘Yahweh’), was used to name other Gods, may reveal something - but, in fact, they produced nothing. They found the word, ‘YHWH’ because IT SIMPLY MEANS ‘I am’, just as ‘Eigo Eimi’ means ‘I am’… a clause and a predicate of the verb, ‘To Be’. Except when referring directly to a PERSON, ‘YHWH’ just means, ‘I am.’ Likely in responding to a question directed at the person. It does not mean ‘[Almighty] GOD’. A man born blind was healed, and was asked if he actually was that man (as no one had ever heard of a born blind, seeing!!). He answers, ‘I Am’… Should domd of called him ‘GOD’ because he says ‘I Am’?
If you think the Nicaean Creed is Pagan you are truly beyond me. I guess you are not a Christian.

This is outright non-historical nonsense. The Creed is Christian.

I have given you multiple Anglo-Saxon sources that use the word ghost to translate Latin spiritus. You think Anglo-Saxon is Pagan. Your history is very bad to say the least. How then can you speak English?

Are you one of those people who thinks ill of St Constantine and such? If so, please stop wasting my time and give yourself up as a heretic.

Soapy

Right, it is silly.

So it's just as silly to chuck out 'ghost', when its meaning is just as valid.
No.. IT IS NOT VALID…. We are talking about ‘The Holy Spirit of God’. Due to the arrogance and ignorance of certain posters, the conversation has turned into something else… exactly as they desired as theh fear exposing the fact that their belief is based on Paganism.

This paganism involves believing in ‘Spirits of Dead people’ invading, permeating, contending, haunting, living humans in the living world. And most often, if not always, these ‘Ghosts’ are malicious, malevolent entities.

Christianity cannot claim a stake in such a belief. I am not speaking of DEMONS… There are Angels (Messengers of God) whom became malevolent. They were demoted to the term ‘Demonic’ from their original ‘Holy Angels’, and were finally banned (Locked in spiritual chains in a spiritual dungeon) awaiting destruction at the end of time. None are able to pervade the living world now. But even these were not called ‘Ghosts’ at any point in time!

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
No.. IT IS NOT VALID…. We are talking about ‘The Holy Spirit of God’. Due to the arrogance and ignorance of certain posters, the conversation has turned into something else… exactly as they desired as theh fear exposing the fact that their belief is based on Paganism.

This paganism involves believing in ‘Spirits of Dead people’ invading, permeating, contending, haunting, living humans in the living world. And most often, if not always, these ‘Ghosts’ are malicious, malevolent entities.

Christianity cannot claim a stake in such a belief. I am not speaking of DEMONS… There are Angels (Messengers of God) whom became malevolent. They were demoted to the term ‘Demonic’ from their original ‘Holy Angels’, and were finally banned (Locked in spiritual chains in a spiritual dungeon) awaiting destruction at the end of time. None are able to pervade the living world now. But even these were not called ‘Ghosts’ at any point in time!
You have the wrong definition of ghost for the context.

The end.

Soapy

If you think the Nicaean Creed is Pagan you are truly beyond me. I guess you are not a Christian.
That was desperate… where did I say that in this thread? Are you not finding anything to actually say against me?
This is outright non-historical nonsense. The Creed is Christian.
Why are you talking about ‘The creed’…. AH…. You found a translation that used ‘Ghost’ instead of ‘Spirit’ and base you argument on that???

Anyone can misinterpret and publish documentation that misleads those who cannot see the misinterpretations.

Oh, by the way, NO… I don’t believe in the Nicene Creed. It was forced on Christian’s by the ROMANS in their desperation to quell the fight among Christian factions. Please Please Please do not grt the idea that THE WINNING SIDE is always THE CORRECT SIDE…!!
Here’s a little snippet for you:
Honest, truthful, righteous believers are being TESTED in the world. These people can only prove themselves in a negative anti-establishment environment otherwise WHERE IS THE TRIAL, the tests, the hardship, the doubt, the seeking FOR truth. Remember this, too; It’s the ones on the stony, rocky, twisting, hard road, who go to Praadise. Those on the easy, wide, smooth road, are on their to destruction… says the scriptures. So, let me here you say that Catholicism, Paganisn, and Trinitarianism, are the GREATEST NUMBER OF BELIEVERS WORLDWIDE.
I have given you multiple Anglo-Saxon sources that use the word ghost to translate Latin spiritus. You think Anglo-Saxon is Pagan. Your history is very bad to say the least. How then can you speak English?

Are you one of those people who thinks ill of St Constantine and such? If so, please stop wasting my time and give yourself up as a heretic.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
That was desperate… where did I say that in this thread? Are you not finding anything to actually say against me?

Why are you talking about ‘The creed’…. AH…. You found a translation that used ‘Ghost’ instead of ‘Spirit’ and base you argument on that???

Anyone can misinterpret and publish documentation that misleads those who cannot see the misinterpretations.

Oh, by the way, NO… I don’t believe in the Nicene Creed. It was forced on Christian’s by the ROMANS in their desperation to quell the fight among Christian factions. Please Please Please do not grt the idea that THE WINNING SIDE is always THE CORRECT SIDE…!!
Here’s a little snippet for you:
Honest, truthful, righteous believers are being TESTED in the world. These people can only prove themselves in a negative anti-establishment environment otherwise WHERE IS THE TRIAL, the tests, the hardship, the doubt, the seeking FOR truth. Remember this, too; It’s the ones on the stony, rocky, twisting, hard road, who go to Praadise. Those on the easy, wide, smooth road, are on their to destruction… says the scriptures. So, let me here you say that Catholicism, Paganisn, and Trinitarianism, are the GREATEST NUMBER OF BELIEVERS WORLDWIDE.
So you dislike the Romans but insist on using Roman terminology?

Lmao.