• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do people assume spanking is not harmful?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I would fully support a ban. Although I am sure many will continue. And when I referred to me having the right to hit. I didn't mean my parents. I meant generally. If I am not allowed to hit, why should anyone be allowed to hit me. When they would go to jail without a second thought. If they did it to an adult.
There should be a fundamental difference between spanking and assault. Spanking is done objectively, judiciously, and with a moderation of force -- and as a last resort to other forms of corrections. Assault is subjective, emotional, angry, a product of frustration, often, and as a first, knee-jerk reaction.

Taking away parents' autonomy with regard to child rearing is only going to create entitled children.

NocLue

There should be a fundamental difference between spanking and assault. Spanking is done objectively, judiciously, and with a moderation of force -- and as a last resort to other forms of corrections. Assault is subjective, emotional, angry, a product of frustration, often, and as a first, knee-jerk reaction.

Taking away parents' autonomy with regard to child rearing is only going to create entitled children.

Spanking is only for cases where someone is in deadly danger. Other than that. Your wife should spank you instead.

NocLue

Well, Now we have entitled adults. Time for a change

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Well, Now we have entitled adults. Time for a change
It started a generation ago with soft, precious, meddling "spanking police" who stopped spanking their kids when they really needed it...

We do need a change: A return to judicious, appropriate, dispassionate, and effective discipline that keeps children within appropriate bounds.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I never assumed it was harmful because it harmed me. But as I said most of the people I have met, had issues because of their childhood spankings. So yeah. I don't assume. They told me. But so many people assume that it isn't harmful because they weren't affected. But this doesn't prove no one was affected. It doesn't prove that it isn't risky.

You're still speaking from your experience though. Your experience of who you have talked to. I could say the exact opposite as you as well as several others. There is simply a line between physical discipline and abuse and just perhaps yourself and the ones you have heard from most vocally have come from the side of abuse rather than discipline.

NocLue

It started a generation ago with soft, precious, meddling "spanking police" who stopped spanking their kids when they really needed it...

We do need a change: A return to judicious, appropriate, dispassionate, and effective discipline that keeps children within appropriate bounds.

I Would like to know how adults will be kept within bounds. Since they are the ones that do the most immoral things. And talking about returns. We need to return to the time and age where cheating on your partner was prison worthy. That way there will be less cheating and less divorces.

Rakhel

I am ****** up. Not because I was spanked. And I deserved most of those spankings(how the footprints got on the ceiling is beyond me but if it wasn't the kids than who was it? :shrug: )
I am ****** up because my parents were ****** up. As was the system they were a part of. (Therapist telling my mother that in order to get over her fear of men is to have more sex with her husband. Really?)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
how is drinking any relevant to treating people with respect. Kids are people too.
They are entitled to the same respect. Especially if they are going to do things only to please you.

The same basic concept is relevant. While some things are fine for parents, or adults to do, it isn't fine for others. The context is also necessary.

And while kids are people, and entitled to the same respect, they are not adults. They are children, and need to be guided.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My guess is most people have not heard of the science showing spanking to be harmful.

NocLue

My guess is most people have not heard of the science showing spanking to be harmful.

I am sure they don't even hear their stomachs when it's hungry. They only eat by instinct on specific times, unless they have a pedicure to do. And they call themselves good parents.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I know many people who are Baby Boomers, who were spanked on a regular basis and they pretty much seemingly mostly turned out alright. I was spanked on many occasions, and I turned out all right.
Of course there is a world of difference between abuse and a swat on the rear, and of course different punishments work for different children. One of my nephews, when he was younger, would laugh at you if you tried to spank him, so he had to be sent to the corner to stand, and not to sit because if he was sitting then he would gloat the he wanted to sit anyways. My oldest nephew it was more just the motion than anything and he got slight taps than actual spanks.
And of course there is the real world that simply does not give a damn if you are padded and softly guided through each and every mistake. Spanking is not an ideal form of punishment for a typical punishment, but it's far from the end of the world when it happens.