• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

Alceste

Vagabond
To sum up how our solar system formed, we started with a nebular cloud which collapsed in on itself to form the sun. The sun's formation caused a flattened out plane of matter that began as particles which collided and clumped together to form planets. Moons were either clumps of matter captured in the gravitational field of planets or chunks of planets knocked off by collisions (some of each, not either / or).

So, this is the order according to science, and it is necessarily the correct order due to the nature of gravity.

More information here:

Formation and evolution of the Solar System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
You've given me no reason to believe you would be in any way affected by evidence, given that you are willing to argue that plants can exist without sunlight. So why should I waste my time?

Wait...what? I mustve missed that.

The idea that it was six literal days brings in a whole heap of other problems. For example, how could three of them pass before the sun was created? Literally impossible.

Exactly.

Not in -455°F weather they wouldn't. They would freeze almost instantly. :facepalm:

Good point. Nothing on earth would survive without the sun.

Alceste

Vagabond
Wait...what? I mustve missed that.

Exactly.

Good point. Nothing on earth would survive without the sun.

It was ages ago. Sonofason asked me what the Bible got wrong, and I pointed out that genesis has god making plants on day three and the sun on day four. Rather than saying "Yup, that's a mistake alright", he came up with some convoluted business about plants being originally kept alive by God's metaphorical light instead of photosynthesis. Makes one suspect evidence isn't really what he's looking for, but an intellectual game of whack-a-mole. Not really my bag.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
It was ages ago. Sonofason asked me what the Bible got wrong, and I pointed out that genesis has god making plants on day three and the sun on day four. Rather than saying "Yup, that's a mistake alright", he came up with some convoluted business about plants being originally kept alive by God's metaphorical light instead of photosynthesis. Makes one suspect evidence isn't really what he's looking for, but an intellectual game of whack-a-mole. Not really my bag.

Rationalization and trying to make it fit I guess.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Day three specifically mentions grass and fruit trees. Funnily enough, mushrooms don't get a look-in at all.

Also, God only created animals in the air, in the oceans, and on land, but I don't think it says anything about the creatures living underground or organisms in the arctic ice (yes, there's one). Taken it literally, God didn't create them.

Alceste

Vagabond
Also, God only created animals in the air, in the oceans, and on land, but I don't think it says anything about the creatures living underground or organisms in the arctic ice (yes, there's one). Taken it literally, God didn't create them.

I always suspected penguins were minions of Satan.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Dang. There goes my hypothesis...

They still could be minions of Satan though. The portal to Hell is probably somewhere down there in the cold south.

Actually, we have a heap of 'em in Australia (at least, the cooler states like mine), so perhaps Australia is Devil-Spawn central?
To be honest, I've never seen a single one of the cute little buggers in Church, so there is some circumstantial evidence that they're on the Dark Side...

And if you want more behavioural based science, refer to the following;

The cutest animals in the world are actually evil

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Actually, we have a heap of 'em in Australia (at least, the cooler states like mine), so perhaps Australia is Devil-Spawn central?
To be honest, I've never seen a single one of the cute little buggers in Church, so there is some circumstantial evidence that they're on the Dark Side...

And if you want more behavioural based science, refer to the following;

The cutest animals in the world are actually evil

Go to the Desert and I am sure you will meet many devils lol

TheGunShoj

You said it ...

"how twisted God would have to be to still send people to hell even though they were tricked into disbelief by a supernatural being"

...and clearly you believe if the belief of that one individual is true then God is twisted and allows people to be tricked and you think this should be pointed out. So basically you wanted to get across your view that God is twisted, to which I responded. You are welcome.

Yes. If that one specific persons beliefs are true then that is my view of it. Are those your views?

Sonofason

Look it up or don't. Your ignorance is not my responsibility. You've given me no reason to believe you would be in any way affected by evidence, given that you are willing to argue that plants can exist without sunlight. So why should I waste my time?

I believe it will take you a great deal of time, and you will come back with nothing more than what you have started with, absolutely nothing.

Sonofason

*sighs*
You're just being condescending. What I am saying is that OF COURSE I cannot personally prove the Sun is older the the Earth. And, amazingly, some of the work that people have spent their entire lives on is a little beyond me personally being able to prove or disprove. This might seem like earth-shattering news, but if you ramp down your need to bag science as 'blind faith' you'll realise that this applies, more or less, to most every scientific principle, and most every piece of technology on the planet.

How equipped are you to explain to me the coding of the operating system you're using right now? Want to have a crack? Can I go online and read reviews about said operating system? Can I make some determinations as to it's strength and weakness? Sure.

So, is my knowledge of the operating system I am using 'blind faith'?

You believe you'd understand primary source evidence? Then you should be submitting it here, not me to you. What is your problem WITH said primary source evidence, given that you think yourself capable of understanding it? I have to admit, it's a little complex in the maths area for me. So I rely on more simplistic interpretations of it. My admittance of this, that you might see as a weakness of my position, or some such, is actually simple truth. I have no need to defend science, really, but I was hoping to explain my position to you honestly.

'We' have, have 'we'? Either you have voices in your head, or you're being condescending again. I'd suggest NOT to be condescending, honestly. It's not becoming. So, no...'we' haven't proven any such thing.

Science is probably wrong on pretty much everything, if what you are looking for is PROOF. Science doesn't prove things. It offers theories, which are considered 'right' until proven otherwise. Our knowledge grows.

I fear I know the answer, but what's your opinion on the following, both in terms of credibility, and in terms of the information as it pertains to our discussion?

NRL Scientist Explores Birth of a Planet - U.S. Naval Research Laboratory

You're jumping too far ahead from a simple statement. What I am saying to you is that I can't 'KNOW' what the Earth looks like from space. Correct? I am reliant on information conveyed to me. You can never KNOW everything, and ultimately you are reliant on other sources of information. The key is how you judge these sources, and what rigour you place them under. That was my point.

Beyond that, pictures of the earth say nothing about the age of the earth.

My understanding of the world in it's entirety? Interesting claim, and a little more existentialist than I would have thought I'd hear from you. If you mean in relation to the Earth, then there is certainly an element of faith in it. Describing this as 'blind faith' is simply an attempt to proscribe to me a position of bald-arsed guessing and an inability to judge source information. I don't find that is generally the case with me.

There simply isn't anywhere you're going to find a 'A+B=C' type answer for the question of 'How was the Sun and Planets formed' if you're determined to look at primary source information (which I think you're not, but hey, that's just my opinion).

Example of how research is actually conducted in this area at a credible university...

DFG SPP 1385

[edit]When reading through the above, it took me a while to realise there were translated pages, and I didn't have to use Google translate, so when you get to the German pages, look top right for English link[/edit]

If that's too confusing for you, welcome to reality. So, do you find my link earlier in this post interesting, challenging, mildly informative, or nonsense? And if nonsense, are you at all interested in actually trying to understand the full complexities of this issue, or am I wasting my time?

You did mention earlier on in this thread that 'I'd rather put my faith in a God I experience than a model I can't understand.'

Does that apply to everything? If you got cancer, you'd refuse treatment? What are your views on set theory?

Meh, I dunno. Sounds to me like you're going to read the Bible first, work out what that means, and then only accept science where it doesn't contradict your interpretation of the Bible. And if that's the case, a more honest position would be to simply state that, instead of getting people to waste their time trying to posit evidence you either won't read, won't understand or won't find compelling, regardless of content, assuming that content doesn't agree with your interpretation of the Bible.

I don't mean to be condescending. But hear you are again stating that you don't have any evidence that the Sun predates the Earth, that you never have seen any evidence that the Sun predates the Earth, and that you probably couldn't understand the evidence even if you saw it. Yet you believe the sun predates the earth. And to top it off you suggest that this unsupported claim should be accepted because it's come from really smart guys, you know, the kind of smart guys that build operating systems for computers. Honestly, I must admit, if someone out there knows how to build a computer operating system, surely someone exists who knows whether or not the Sun predates the Earth, cause we humans are just that smart.

I am not making any claims about the operating system I am using right now. If I were making some particular claim about this operating system, I ought to have evidence to back up my claim.

I have no idea the degree of faith that you have in your operating system. I don't know what your expectations are of this operating system. Surely, I don't know if your faith in this operating system is reasonable or not, warranted or not, based in evidence or not.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Peace be on everyone.

Edit / add: and what is the source of morality in life, of above mentioned people?

Your version of "God" is in no way my desire of any "god" of your invention or claim. Does that make sense?

How sad that you even feel any call to ask, if you rely upon the sole opinion that only "believers" can evince any "morality".

Even the worst of "unbelievers" would never seek to "send you"" to some everlasting and unending "Hell".

IF that is your best "spooky card", it ain't working.

suncowiam

Peace be on everyone.

Edit / add: and what is the source of morality in life, of above mentioned people?

There is no proof of his existence. Although there is no proof of his nonexistence, I must base my belief absolutely on facts.

My golden rule is the golden rule. Treat people as how I would like to be treated. Its so simple I only need a napkin to write this onto.