• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
So is it all made up by Saul/Paul? I don't understand how that's possible given the timeline.

Hang on mate.

You don't understand how Paul could possibly have made up a testimony he based on meetings he had with a person who was dead?

Paul's testimony is of the risen Jesus, the post mortem Jesus - not the living Jesus.
So either:
1. Paul really did communicate with a disembodied spirit
or 2. Paul made it up.

Surely 2 is rather MORE likely, as opposed to being impossible? And as far as we know 1 is impossible.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Hang on mate.

You don't understand how Paul could possibly have made up a testimony he based on meetings he had with a person who was dead?

Paul's testimony is of the risen Jesus, the post mortem Jesus - not the living Jesus.
So either:
1. Paul really did communicate with a disembodied spirit
or 2. Paul made it up.

Surely 2 is rather MORE likely, as opposed to being impossible? And as far as we know 1 is impossible.

The timeline doesn't add up, Saul/Paul wasn't the first Xian.
what? I'm talking about the historical jesus of course.

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Great, so where did the stories about jesus come from.

Well not the historical Jesus clearly, because he had been crucified several years earlier.

How is it impossible that Paul invented them? Why?

People making stuff up happens all the time, although people accurately communicating with the dead has never been evidenced reliably.
So how is making stuff up (which we know happens all the time) impossible, but communicating with a ghost possible?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
No idea what you're talking about. I'm talking about historical jesus, and asking where the stories about him came from.

Nobody knows, certainly not Paul - Paul never met the historical Jesus. Nobody knows who wrote any of the gospels that tell Jesus story either.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Nobody knows? okay...........

Great, who cares.

Well you seem to, you were asking. And this thread is asking why people doubt the existence of god - that nobody knows who wrote any of the story of Jesus or when is one of the reasons people doubt.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh well, that is a relief. I thought I was being persecuted for doubting evidence of evolution that I have never seen. I appreciate your support.

I don't support you, and you are being called on your insistence on presenting your refusal to accept the available knowledge as evidence.

Call that persecution if you like, but that does not really make sense.

So you accept circumstantial evidence as fact?

In practice I do, for quite a lot of things. I have never been in France, for instance, but I'm pretty certain that it does exist.

I suppose I could convince myself that it actually does not if I put my mind to it.

Lots of innocent people are convicted falsely for crimes due to circumstantial evidence, not to mention fabricated evidence. But we won't go there. I'm in enough hot water just for being honest.

You are far more determined than honest.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And why exactly is that?

A person who is supposedly a religious sage whose birth was announced by a prophecy would logically have been followed around a lot.

Yet there is hardly any record of his existence that is not actually scripture, either Pauline or Gnostic. And even then there is just no record whatsoever of what happened to him between 12 and 30 years of age? Not even some statement about why the Gospel writers even believe him to be the same person?

Then one considers how the Gospels pretty much have to copy from each other to approach a common presentation of what Jesus was like, how vague so many points are, and how even Paul himself admits that he had a vision of a person he fully believed to be dead at that point in time, and it all adds up to a high likelihood of the early Christians not expecting people to believe in a literal Jesus.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So is it all made up by Saul/Paul? I don't understand how that's possible given the timeline.

The way I see it, Paul could never hope his disciples to believe in a literal Jesus. Odds are that this belief is a misunderstanding that came later.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The way I see it, Paul could never hope his disciples to believe in a literal Jesus. Odds are that this belief is a misunderstanding that came later.

The thing is, there were already Xians around before Saul/Paul compiled the Epistles.

Last edited: