• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe?

Why do you believe?

• Because I was raised in a religious context

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Because I'm afraid to go to Hell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because I need to believe in something

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Because I'm afraid there's nothing after death

• Because I don't think that we owe our existence to random events

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I don't believe

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Because it fits in with my own life experiences which has shaped ny philosophical outlook

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Because it fits with my philosophical outlook (but no 'experiences' to speak of)

• Total voters

jmn

But I never said I was providing any.
You did that since you had the compulsive desire to respond to this post and try to refute a theist. Thus proving your militant desires :D.
Atheism can lead to extreme violence no different then theism. Or have you not forgot about communism and the effects of Stalin, Mao, Pol-pot and Kim-il Sung and their desire to stamp out religion and create secular anthropolotry.
Atheism is fine but like all things it will have a couple of bad eggs and bad eggs with no sense of restriction is all the more worse. Religious extremist never demand worship, unguided strife and boundaryless deeds.

These are excessively blind and outlandish statements.

What i was proposing is backed by evidence, but what your saying is simply fallacious.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
These are excessively blind and outlandish statements.

What i was proposing is backed by evidence, but what your saying is simply fallacious.

That was a little rude. We can only tell you why we believe. We're not telling you to believe.

jmn

There is something strangely wrong about denying another person's experience. It reminds me of the odd parent who tells their child "You're not sad," when the kid is bawling their head off.
I am certainly not denying anyone's experience. I am only giving my logical explanation.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Knowing the individual is going to give me confirmation.

And that is ridiculously egotistical and presumptuous to think as well. You think if you know the person it will only prove you right? What if you were proven wrong? What then?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I am certainly not denying anyone's experience. I am only giving my logical explanation.

What you are denying is their intellectual capability to reason their experiences out for themselves. By doing so you are implying them deficient in some mental capacity. What you are doing is giving ONE possible explanation for having an experience one may qualify as "spiritual". You have not, however, given the only one. You are not leaving open the possibility that a spiritual experience is exactly what it is, simply because, it plainly appears, you cannot accept that possibility yourself.

jmn

Can I ask what you mean by "Rapid brain fluctuations?"
A Sometimes temporary irregularity in brain chemistry.
And can I ask why you would ask others to elaborate on what they mean by "experiences," then come back with what really sounds like a dismissing judgment on the first description of "experiences" that you got in response to your request?

Would like to hear first hand from individuals here. I have listened to others in the past.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
If you could prove anything, than you would have already done it by now.

We all would know about it.

Not me, not right now, :rolleyes: (as if that sort of thing can be proven over the internet :areyoucra ) I mean in person with someone having an experience. If you could find that they were not having any hallucinations or delusions or the like. If what they were experiencing was real, that is, not some trick of their mind. If you even experienced it along with them for yourself. If you found yourself wrong, what then?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If you could prove anything, than you would have already done it by now.

We all would know about it.

Faith in God is just that: Faith. It has and never has had anything to do with proof. If there was any scientific proof, then everyone would know and there would be no faith.
What we are trying to say is that we already believe, we need no proof for us or we have our own proof- which we could not use to prove to anyone else. And nothing I could do could prove it to you- I would think. :)

Draka

Wonder Woman
By definition what your saying is unreal.

How do you know that? Their experience of it wouldn't be imaginary if it wasn't hallucinatory or delusion or anything else triggered by some brain fault. So their experience of it would be a real experience.

jmn

How do you know that? Their experience of it wouldn't be imaginary if it wasn't hallucinatory or delusion or anything else triggered by some brain fault. So their experience of it would be a real experience.

I only use what is reasonable, logical, and understood fact.