• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Reject Jesus?

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
What is your reason for not accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior? The one who saves us all from eternal death—separation from God—according to the Holy Bible.

Madsaac

Because he isn't the lord or saviour etc.

He's just a guy who had a good marketing team.

When I was at my Catholic school and they used to talk about Jesus, I used to think. 'Are they for real, have they been smoking something...'

F1fan

Veteran Member
What is your reason for not accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior?
I'm rejecting this claim made by Christians. Not only does the idea of "savior" lack credible evidence, but it isn't plausible. It's all a quite absurd thing to believe literally.
The one who saves us all from eternal death—separation from God—according to the Holy Bible.
Actually, assuming the idea was true, it is the believer him/herself that saves the self. Jesus already was sacrificed, and God used it to absolve mankind of all sins. But as Christians say the self needs to accept this gift before they are saved, so it is the self deciding they want the gift of salvation that makes it happen. God and Jesus have already done their part, it's the believer that's their own savior.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is your reason for not accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior? The one who saves us all from eternal death—separation from God—according to the Holy Bible.

Well, I view the Bible as pretty much just a story. It doesn't mean I have any automatic reason to accept or reject Jesus, but it's just one of those things to consider. I don't necessarily accept or reject Poseidon or Thor - or even Superman. If Superman flew in to rescue me from Godzilla, I would not reject his assistance. But it's all just speculation and imagination. I can't see that anyone can really know what lies beyond the great beyond.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Because, like much of religion regarding evidence (especially religious texts), there just isn't enough evidence to verify that this person was as depicted and any more special than others - did what is claimed as to such - even if we can accept much of what was written has some validity - as to being a sensible way to live. But then this message is hardly unique, and which perhaps is a selling point of any religion - having some such unique selling point.

Besides all that though, if one has the view, like myself, that the likelihood of God existing is close to zero, then all the rest (religious beliefs of any sort) is mere trimmings - and just being human creations - with these often being just as harmful as beneficial to humans.

Last edited:

Tomef

Jesus has no idea that he’s being bandied about as ‘lord and saviour’. He died a very long time ago.

Do you accept the red pill or the blue pill? You don’t need to accept either, as they exist only as fictional constructs. Same with back from the dead Jesus.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Because he isn't the lord or saviour etc.

He's just a guy who had a good marketing team.

When I was at my Catholic school and they used to talk about Jesus, I used to think. 'Are they for real, have they been smoking something...'
You don’t have to be messed up to believe in Jesus.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Well, I view the Bible as pretty much just a story. It doesn't mean I have any automatic reason to accept or reject Jesus, but it's just one of those things to consider. I don't necessarily accept or reject Poseidon or Thor - or even Superman. If Superman flew in to rescue me from Godzilla, I would not reject his assistance. But it's all just speculation and imagination. I can't see that anyone can really know what lies beyond the great beyond.
I can see people knowing what lies beyond. It’s not unattainable.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Because, like much of religion regarding evidence (especially religious texts), there just isn't enough evidence to verify that this person was as depicted and any more special than others - did what is claimed as to such - even if we can accept much of what was written has some validity - as to being a sensible way to live. But then this message is hardly unique, and which perhaps is a selling point of any religion - having some such unique selling point.

Besides all that though, if one has the view, like myself, that the likelihood of God existing is close to zero, then all the rest (religious beliefs of any sort) is mere trimmings - and just being human creations - with these often being just as harmful as beneficial to humans.
The fact that it’s not unique makes it interesting. The belief in Jesus was never meant to be harmful in any way.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
First of all, I don't reject Jesus, but the problem with your OP is that he doesn't save us all. The terminology is vague and religious. He saves those of mankind who accept him and act accordingly, thus saving all mankind as a whole. From destruction. Separation from God? Is also vague and religious, so in a practical and specific manner, could you briefly explain what you think that might mean?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The fact that it’s not unique makes it interesting.
All early social groupings must have had some general rules that helped them survive, and as to which such became embedded in codes likes religions, so perhaps just inevitable that religions have many things in common.
The belief in Jesus was never meant to be harmful in any way.
Well no doubt all religions start off as not seeing themselves harmful in any way but it is probably in the nature of religions - espousing certain truths - that conflict seems inevitable, and especially with previous and future religions. Not that there might be any future ones now.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Because the scholarly consensus among historians, as far as I know, is that the historical Jesus was a human. I don't believe that he was a god, son of god, or savior—I see no evidence or reason to adopt any of those beliefs.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I wouldn't say I outright "reject" Jesus or any other god/savior figure head. I think Jesus is quoted as saying some thoughtful things, much as Siddhartha or Zoroaster are. Just because I like some of the things these people say or are attributed with saying doesn't mean I believe everything they are supposed to have done as well. People are prone to stretching the truth; especially when religion is involved

When it comes to literal truths I'm only interested in entertaining what has empirical weight behind it. So far "supernatural" claims fall short in this regard