• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does God Allow Suffering?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
They say there’s no stupid questions , but this has to be the dumbest question imo. Obviously, we live in an imperfect world. Does one really think a perfect world could exist? I wish suffering didn’t exist, just like the next guy.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Disclaimer: This my belief as a Hindu, and pretty much the Hindu belief in general.Others may believe and explain it differently.

Why is it God's job or responsibility to stop suffering or evil, or to cure cancer? As Hindus, we don't believe that God/dess controls any of that. Not that He or She can't, but He or She doesn't. We believe that our suffering, evil, disease, good fortune, bad fortune, are a result of our karma. Some karma, good and bad, does manifest in this life, but largely it's an accumulation. It's like a bank account we deposit into and withdraw from.

What did a child with cancer do to "deserve" their cancer? We don't know but it happened for some reason from something(s) done in past lives. Why are there hurricanes and tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides that kill and injure people, destroy their homes? That's an easy one to answer ... we live in a world where **** happens. Not everything is the will of God. The universe is like Australia ... everything in it wants to kill us.

The Srimad Bhagavatam, a Hindu scripture, says that not a blade of grass blows in the wind without the Supreme Lord knowing about it. But the scripture doesn't say that He causes it. That God is in charge of suffering, pain and evil, and does nothing about it or causes it is an Abrahamic concept. Abrahamics have painted themselves into a corner by making God an all-intrusive, manipulating puppet master pulling strings and interfering in every aspect of our lives, leaving nothing to the workings of the universe. Every action we do has an effect somewhere down the line, like ripples in water when we throw a rock in. That's karma; karma is not "paybacks are a *****". Karma is not the story of the poachers who killed a rhino, then five minutes later are eaten by lions. Nor is it the driver who cuts me off in a rage and promptly slams into a telephone pole. That's stupidity. And in my perverse, twisted and macabre sense of humor .. kind of funny.

Nimos

They say there’s no stupid questions , but this has to be the dumbest question imo. Obviously, we live in an imperfect world. Does one really think a perfect world could exist? I wish suffering didn’t exist, just like the next guy.
What is heaven to you? and what does the Bible say about it?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Disclaimer: This my belief as a Hindu, and pretty much the Hindu belief in general.Others may believe and explain it differently.

Why is it God's job or responsibility to stop suffering or evil, or to cure cancer? As Hindus, we don't believe that God/dess controls any of that. Not that He or She can't, but He or She doesn't. We believe that our suffering, evil, disease, good fortune, bad fortune, are a result of our karma. Some karma, good and bad, does manifest in this life, but largely it's an accumulation. It's like a bank account we deposit into and withdraw from.

What did a child with cancer do to "deserve" their cancer? We don't know but it happened for some reason from something(s) done in past lives. Why are there hurricanes and tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides that kill and injure people, destroy their homes? That's an easy one to answer ... we live in a world where **** happens. Not everything is the will of God. The universe is like Australia ... everything in it wants to kill us.

The Srimad Bhagavatam, a Hindu scripture, says that not a blade of grass blows in the wind without the Supreme Lord knowing about it. But the scripture doesn't say that He causes it. That God is in charge of suffering, pain and evil, and does nothing about it or causes it is an Abrahamic concept. Abrahamics have painted themselves into a corner by making God an all-intrusive, manipulating puppet master pulling strings and interfering in every aspect of our lives, leaving nothing to the workings of the universe. Every action we do has an effect somewhere down the line, like ripples in water when we throw a rock in. That's karma; karma is not "paybacks are a *****". Karma is not the story of the poachers who killed a rhino, then five minutes later are eaten by lions. Nor is it the driver who cuts me off in a rage and promptly slams into a telephone pole. That's stupidity. And in my perverse, twisted and macabre sense of humor .. kind of funny.
A kid gets cancer cuz of past lives? I can say with certainty that this is nonsense.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Why is it God's job or responsibility to stop suffering or evil, or to cure cancer? As Hindus, we don't believe that God/dess controls any of that. Not that He or She can't, but He or She doesn't.

As long as you don't say God/dess is good, that is alright.

We believe that our suffering, evil, disease, good fortune, bad fortune, are a result of our karma. Some karma, good and bad, does manifest in this life, but largely it's an accumulation. It's like a bank account we deposit into and withdraw from.

What did a child with cancer do to "deserve" their cancer? We don't know but it happened for some reason from something(s) done in past lives.

Ok, but was the karma system created by God/dess? If yes, why? Why not prevent all evil from happening?

Why are there hurricanes and tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides that kill and injure people, destroy their homes? That's an easy one to answer ... we live in a world where **** happens. Not everything is the will of God. The universe is like Australia ... everything in it wants to kill us.

But why hasn't God/dess willed for it to be a world where crap doesn't happen?

Honestly, your answers are no better than what is offered by an average abrahamic theist.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Because that is how humans designed their gods. Suffering is a reality than even theists can't ignore, so they had to include it in some way. Does it make sense? No. Do religions make sense? No. They are traditions of belief that even many modern people adopt without thinking.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
A god who makes all of existence is beyond petty ideas of perfect and imperfect imo.
You know that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, yes?

A creator of everything is responsible for everything. Any imperfections would be entirely down to said creator.

Jimmy

Veteran Member

A creator of everything is responsible for everything. Any imperfections would be entirely down to said creator.
Our creator made reality which is subject to the laws of nature imo. The ideas of perfect and imperfect are irrelevant.

Jimmy

Veteran Member

Actually you’re right. We have an imperfect creator. I prefer to call him a realistic creator. So you call him imperfect. Is that suppose to offend me? I’m not offended in the least.